News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Garrett McKnight

Planning My Trip to Scotland 2015 - Opinions Welcome
« on: December 16, 2014, 09:33:52 PM »
I'm an avid reader of the site. However, I rarely post. I'm interested in some feedback on the itinerary I have put together for a two-week trip to Scotland next June 5-21. My line-up of places to play and stay is based on a ton of info from members of this site.
Any feedback is welcome. Positive or negative.

Week One: With my wife and some friends.

Rental house in St. Andrews - through Kingsask properties.

We have yet to book any tee times yet. I'm still ironing out who and how many we will have.
Golf: Purchase three-day pass through the Links Trust. Try to ballot on the Old Course. Play New, Eden, Jubile and Castle.
Crail
Carnoustie

Week Two - Just me and my wife. Note: She's an avid, expert birdwatching maniac. This allows me all the golf I want. Tee times are booked.
Fri. 6/12 - Check out of house in St. Andrews - Drive to Tain (two nights)
Sat. 6/13 - Royal Dornoch in AM.
Sun 6/14 - Check out of house. Play Nairn - Late morning. Drive East to Pennan (three nights)
Mon 6/15 - Play Fraserburgh - Late morning
Tues  6/16 - AM Royal Aberdeen - PM Murcar
Wed  6/17 - Check out of house - Late AM Cruden Bay - Drive to Aberlady (four nights)
Thurs 6/18 - AM Luffness - PM Open - would love to find a way onto Muirfield. I would skip Luffness for that. Muirfield is booked at the moment.
Fri 6/19 - AM N. Berwick - PM Open
Sat. 6/21 - Open. Gullane? Others?
Sun - Depart back to Phoenix

I'm open to playing with any GCA'er as well if they are in the area. Any help with Muirfield would be amazing as well. I play to an 8-9 index here at Phoenix CC. I'd be happy to host a round here at Phoenix in return.

I've been to Ireland twice, so I'm ready for the elements. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

« Last Edit: December 16, 2014, 09:42:11 PM by Garrett McKnight »

Steve Salmen

Re: Planning My Trip to Scotland 2015 - Opinions Welcome
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2014, 10:04:39 PM »
Garrett,

Please try to play Elie while you're in St. Andrews.  You will not be sorry.  I have not played the Castle so I'm not qualified to say it's a 0, however, you will have a blast playing Elie.  I get beat up over this constantly from my Scottish friends but I really like the Craighead course at Crail.  It looks like a links course and plays like one if it hasn't rained in a while.  Mr. Lennie at Crail is one of the great golf pros in the world of golf.

The month of your trip, you're going to probably need an assist from a member to get on Muirfield.  You have a chance if you stay at Greywalls but you should contact them sooner than later.  Your problem is that they book up a year or more in advance and you have to have either two or four players if you're unaccompanied.  Tuesday and Thursday are visitor days. Morning four ball, afternoon no more than two balls, usually alternate shot. 

Gullane is worth playing.  However check out Renaissance (I have no idea how hard it is to get on but very nice course), Dunbar or Goswick over Luffness New.  It's pretty short and not really memorable.  Make arrangements to meet Mr. Baird when you're in Gullane.  The pro shop there should have info.  I don't know if his little museum is still there.

The only other course I have not played is Fraserburgh.  The commentary and pics are a fantastic endorsement for the place.  Your first trip will be awesome.  Your second trip should include Machrihanish, Prestwick, Turnberry, and Machrie if time permits.

Have a great trip.

Steve

Tim Johnson

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2014, 11:13:40 PM »
Garrett
I have played most of the courses you are playing and you will not be disappointed in those or the other courses you have selected. There will always be the comments one vs the other but it gives you a reason to go back.

Only comment would be to check about Gullane, I believe they are holding the Scottish Open there and not sure when it is and what kind of infrastructure there will be on the course. Part of the experience is seeing the course without the stands.

Enjoy your trip

Tim

Dub_ONeill

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2014, 11:48:02 PM »
Based on a couple of trips to Lothian I would say Dunbar should be included.  I would also suggest Kilspindie as possibility for a relaxed second round some afternoon. . It is quite short, inexpensive, very friendly and a lot of fun to play.  Plan to make dinner reservations at least once at The Osteria on High Street in North Berwick.  It is terrific.

Ken Moum

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2014, 12:02:41 AM »
Sounds like you will be following my wife and I around Scotland.

We're going to be in Drem (not far from Aberlady) with another friend of ours starting May 17.

Moving to Cupar in Fife on May 23, then to Golspie for a week starting May 30, after which our friend is going home.

June 6 - 12 we'll be in Nairn.

After that we're sort of open. Hoping to get over to Fraserburgh, then out to Machrihanish and some of the islands.  Maybe Southerness as well???

My wife is a very avid golfer, and last year we played 26 rounds on 21 courses in 30 days in Scotland.  With 6 weeks to fill, we're planning to take a more laid back approach and not play every day.
Over time, the guy in the ideal position derives an advantage, and delivering him further  advantage is not worth making the rest of the players suffer at the expense of fun, variety, and ultimately cost -- Jeff Warne, 12-08-2010

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2014, 03:26:44 AM »
Garrett I'll leave Golf suggestions to others but your wife will enjoy East Lothian.   I assume you will have booked into Ducks and if so let your landlord know you are a golfer.

http://www.wow247.co.uk/longniddry/attraction/scottish-birdwatching-resource-centre-xscobir/scottish-birdwatching-resource-centre-yscobir/
She can catch a bus to this (if required).

In North Berwick there's the sea life centre by the harbour and boat trips to see the Gannets on Bass Rock. Most twitcher's walk the coastal path beside the Glen course for fine views into many little bays.

Enjoy the trip and If I can help further please IM me.
Let's make GCA grate again!

Ryan Coles

« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2014, 03:57:46 AM »
I think it is a mistake to go that far up and not go a little further and play Brora. Plenty for your wife to see as well.

In fact I'd spend more time in that area and cut Aberdeenshire.

Michael Graham

« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2014, 04:24:26 AM »
Sounds like a good itinerary Garrett. I would definitely recommend a round on Gullane 1 if it isn't closed for the Scottish Open. Either the afternoon after you play N. Berwick or the following day. If you can get access I would also aim for a round at Renaissance. The beauty of East Lothian is the ease of travel between the course along the coast. In Fife I would also recommend a round at Ladybank - a lovely inland course just outside Cupar. PM me you want any further information about bookings in Edinburgh and East Lothian.

Michael

Ru Macdonald

« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2014, 05:00:45 AM »
Great line up and I'm thrilled you have included both Fraserburgh and Cruden Bay. You have some flexibility at times when you're in the NE so try shove in another loop. (Fraserburgh can take less than 3 hours) Old Moray, an Old Tom'design is a classic Scottish links in a real golf town and on route to Pennan. I'd concur on Elie.

For an Old Course Tee Time don't disregard an early alarm (might be handy for your wife too as she can make her way to west sands for sunrise) and join the lucky queue. This is a process which could see you out as a single. More info here: http://scottishgolfpodcast.com/old-course-single/

Great to see healthy discussion on this. Scotland's golf offering really is endless  :)
If you have played in Scotland and want to share your experience with other golfers I'd love to talk with you, Scottish Golf Podcast.

Andy Shulman

« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2014, 05:35:41 AM »
Garrett - What about nine-hole Musselburgh Links after North Berwick?  That'd make for quite the golfing history lesson.  As for Gullane, I'd skip it, regardless of the Scottish Open.  It's fairly expensive and is one of the least interesting or inspiring Scottish courses I've played.  Have a great time!

Michael Graham

« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2014, 06:08:11 AM »
I agree that in summer one could argue that Gullane 1 is overpriced. I would argue, however, that the views from the 7th tee on a clear day are worth the green fee alone.

Michael

Niall C

« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2014, 06:32:20 AM »
Michael

Maybe I'm living up to the stereotype Scotsman but can I suggest that Garrett and Ken save themselves the greenfee for No 1 and simply walk up to the 7th tee for the view. Trust me, no one will stop them. No. 2 and 3 offer much better value for money and as Sean put it elsewhere, all three are similar in routing and terrain.

Niall

Niall C

« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2014, 06:44:30 AM »
Garrett

There is some sage advice in the new Confidential Guide about not trying to see too much on one trip. Maybe best to do one or maybe two areas in one trip and leave the other areas for your next trip. Having said that, I realise it is very hard to resist the temptation to try and fit in as much as possible.

One bit of advice I would give is as well as playing the classics, try and get off the beaten path as well. For instance, glad to see you are playing Fraserburgh which is now firmly a "hidden gem" now that Ran has discovered it for GCA. If you're playing there then suggest you also play either (or perhaps both ?) Rosehearty or Inverallochy. Rosehearty is 9 hole links while Inverallochy is 18 hole links. I've played the latter and loved it but haven't played the former although Tom D speaks highly of it. Both courses are relatively dirt cheap and located within 2 to 3 miles of Fraserburgh.

Ru also mentioned Moray Old which I can heartily recommend having been a member there for a couple of years. You won't be disappointed. Happy to recommend other good holiday courses in that area if you wish.

Niall

Michael Graham

« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2014, 06:56:24 AM »
Niall

Absolutely, walking to the top of Gullane hill won't cost a penny and the view is well worth the hike. To me at least, there is a lot more to the course than the views alone. I suppose it all depends on what sort of budget Garrett and Ken are working with. I certainly get where you are coming from in terms of value but if I was over from the States and not a local I would be looking to play no. 1 over 2 and 3.

Michael

Niall C

« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2014, 07:04:55 AM »
Michael

I'm with you. A nice view doesn't make up for average golf. In my view none of the 3 courses at Gullane are average. My comment regarding No. 1 is really based on the fact that I don't think it that much better than the other two, if at all. Yes it's a bit longer than No. 2 and more heavily bunkered but not sure that makes it any more enjoyable. No. 3 is certainly significantly shorter than the other two but then in some ways that adds to the fun.

Whatever course Garrett goes for, I doubt he will be disappointed.

Niall

Michael Graham

« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2014, 07:23:44 AM »
Spot on Niall.

That's the beauty of golf in East Lothian. You will be hard pressed to be disappointed with any of the courses - perhaps with the exception of Craigielaw (I speak as an ex member).

Wherever you end up Garrett I'm sure you'll have a fabulous time.

Michael

Thomas Dai

« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2014, 07:29:55 AM »
Firstly, birds.

The cliffs at the Bullers of Buchan, between Cruden Bay and Peterhead, for all sorts of seabirds.
Waders and other seabird life around Newburgh/the Ythan Estuary between Aberdeen and Cruden Bay. Okaycourse at Newburgh too.
They released some Sea Eagles in Fife, between Leuchers/St Andrews and Dundee a few years ago.

As to golf, you can probably play more memorable golf, not necessarily better, but more memorable, than Nairn and Murcar, nice as they are. Try not to miss Brora when near Dornoch.

Daylight lasts very late in the evenings in the summer in the north of Scotland so that may allow for more golf time.

atb

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2014, 08:10:38 AM »
I'm an avid reader of the site. However, I rarely post. I'm interested in some feedback on the itinerary I have put together for a two-week trip to Scotland next June 5-21. My line-up of places to play and stay is based on a ton of info from members of this site.
Any feedback is welcome. Positive or negative.

Week One: With my wife and some friends.

Rental house in St. Andrews - through Kingsask properties.

We have yet to book any tee times yet. I'm still ironing out who and how many we will have.
Golf: Purchase three-day pass through the Links Trust. Try to ballot on the Old Course. Play New, Eden, Jubile and Castle.
Crail
Carnoustie

Week Two - Just me and my wife. Note: She's an avid, expert birdwatching maniac. This allows me all the golf I want. Tee times are booked.
Fri. 6/12 - Check out of house in St. Andrews - Drive to Tain (two nights)
Sat. 6/13 - Royal Dornoch in AM.
Sun 6/14 - Check out of house. Play Nairn - Late morning. Drive East to Pennan (three nights)
Mon 6/15 - Play Fraserburgh - Late morning
Tues  6/16 - AM Royal Aberdeen - PM Murcar
Wed  6/17 - Check out of house - Late AM Cruden Bay - Drive to Aberlady (four nights)
Thurs 6/18 - AM Luffness - PM Open - would love to find a way onto Muirfield. I would skip Luffness for that. Muirfield is booked at the moment.
Fri 6/19 - AM N. Berwick - PM Open
Sat. 6/21 - Open. Gullane? Others?
Sun - Depart back to Phoenix

I'm open to playing with any GCA'er as well if they are in the area. Any help with Muirfield would be amazing as well. I play to an 8-9 index here at Phoenix CC. I'd be happy to host a round here at Phoenix in return.

I've been to Ireland twice, so I'm ready for the elements. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

This is a great looking trip. Well done.

And whilst you should listen to all other suggestions (for most of them are good), the trip you've mapped out is as good as any so don't be a slave to anyone else's thoughts....

Matt MacIver

« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2014, 08:25:03 AM »
I have no idea if Gleneagles is an active bird watching area but it's inland vs the shore and you might be passing nearby. And on these threads I never miss a chance to suggest playing Kings. Enjoy your planning (and trip!). 

C. Sturges

« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2014, 12:55:39 PM »
Garrett,
Have a wonderful trip!  I just visited in October and had a blast.  The two courses I will mention are Brora and Old Musselbourgh.  Both are great old links courses and not to far from where you will be.  This way you will get to play a course of the HCEG's if you do not get to play Muirfield.   Two of us played Gullane #1 and really liked it.  The golf is very good and the views are amazing.  Nothing like Arizona.
A great place for lunch or dinner is the Cock and Bull, it is very close to Royal Aberdeen and Trump.  It was recommended by the Golf Professional at Cruden Bay and was one of my 3 best meals on the trip.  They have a hot dog with pulled pork and cracklins that was amazing!
Enjoy!
chris

Anthony Gholz

« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2014, 01:00:47 PM »
Garrett:

If your itinerary allows: a good inland course with several "great" holes is the Rosemont course at Blairgowrie.  James Braid overtop Mackenzie.  Last few holes include a great outdoor room par-3 and several bunkers and greens that I believe are still the good Dr's.  Some flat ok holes as well.  A Doak 5.  That may be too low on your scale, although Castle at 0 IMO is a Doak statement regarding the course vs site use and $ spent, and not the views which are 10.

Anthony

Rich Goodale

« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2014, 02:04:21 PM »
Garett

You have a good itinerary and a loving wife, and you must be young to hit all the high spots you have chosen in so few days.  Enjoy!

When you are on your 2nd and 3rd tour of Scotland consider other tour strategies, and use the seriously good collective wisdom on this site to help guide you.

As for birds, when you are in Tain/Dornoch point your wife towards both the East and West side of och Fleet, between Dornoch and Golspie.  To the East there is twitcher heaven for waterfowl.  To the West, if she is lucky breeding ospreys may come into and out of view as she looks down the spectacular glen.

Slainte

Rich
Life is good.

Any afterlife is unlikely and/or dodgy.

Jean-Paul Parodi

David_Tepper

« Reply #22 on: December 17, 2014, 02:27:37 PM »
"As for birds, when you are in Tain/Dornoch point your wife towards both the East and West side of och Fleet, between Dornoch and Golspie.  To the East there is twitcher heaven for waterfowl.  To the West, if she is lucky breeding ospreys may come into and out of view as she looks down the spectacular glen."

As Rich G. has noted, the Loch Fleet are is a great spot for bird-watching.

http://www.nnr-scotland.org.uk/loch-fleet/

Dave McCollum

« Reply #23 on: December 17, 2014, 03:38:51 PM »
I skimmed through the responses enough to see you are in good hands.  A couple of oddball suggestions from my experience:  play N.B. West Links twice (or more).  Take a caddie the first time or walk it early AM or late PM. It's even more fun when you know how to play it.  I wasn't a fan of Gullane 1.  Just bad luck we weren't treated all that well and paid big bucks.  After we were done, I noticed all the locals teeing off after work.  There were no starters or marshals about.  I wished that we had just hooked up with the locals and played at twilight instead of going through all the "visitor" prime time rigmarole.  Late in the day with good light, the 7th tee must be all the more glorious.  A good walk after dinner with your wife and your camera would have done it for me.  That time of the year, being on top of the hill at 9-10+ PM still leaves plenty of post sunset light to find your way back down.  I doubt the locals will mind.  Probably the opposite. 

My guess is the AM light up on Gullane Hill also would be grand.  I did quite a few of these sunrise strolls with a camera in Scotland, taking pictures and chatting up the maintenance crews.  You might not want to do the sunset-sunrise strolls back-to-back, though.  There are only 4 to 5 hours between these events, not counting the commutes to some of the best spots.  Being there at the right time increases your odds of a great shot.  In Scotland that can mean trudging in from the course at 23:00 and going out at 03:30.  It's a vacation:  choose, don't do both unless you want to sleep all day.   

Tim Johnson

« Reply #24 on: December 17, 2014, 04:01:33 PM »
Add on- Listen to what they say about Brora, spent 2 days at Royal Dornoch in 07 and still kick myself for not taking the drive, it is close and from what I have read it is a great day of golf. Easy to convince myself at the time, I was playhing dornoch.

Curious about the little mention of Trump's course since you are in that neck of the woods(unless I missed it).

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back