News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Stephen Davis

Re: Alternative colours for Bunker Sand
« Reply #25 on: December 22, 2014, 10:30:16 AM »
Pink sand for LPGA events?

Will it happen? Indeed has it happened?

Atb

Sexist.  ;D

I believe a number of Moroccan courses have sand a similar colour to that at Sand Hollow.

As an aside, love the look of the hole in the second pic from Stephen Davis.
It is a great course! If that was an ocean to the left of those cliffs, I dare say this course would receive much more attention. As it is it is in Utah, which doesn't get much attention when it come s to golf. The course is about an hour and 45 minutes outside of Vegas and is definitely worth the drive. Not to mention they are doing all of the things that many of us wish other courses would do more of. In addition to the 18 hole course (featured in the pictures), they also have a really neat & fun 9 hole Links course, as well as a par 3 course called the Wee course with holes from 50-120 yards. Perfect for a fun game and to get the little guys and gals interested in the game.

Brett Hochstein

« Reply #26 on: December 22, 2014, 12:46:30 PM »
Count me in the camp of utilizing local materials.  Of course it has to be "suitable," but my definition of suitable is probably much more lax than most.  Bunkers need not provide the perfect lie nor the perfect color.

Local sand is how bunkers began from the native ground becoming or being exposed, and still today most links courses just use what is there, no matter how fine or rounded or off color it may be. 

My biggest preference color wise is to match up with native sands and soils.  I have no problems at all with the black slag bunkers, but I would take it a step further and expose it or create something in the native areas to tie it all in.

Love the Sand Hollow example in Utah. Ties in perfectly.  I don't know what the solution is for places like the Southeast or South America with the native red/orange clay soils.  Allow contamination?  I guess that's what Tobacco Road does, which I think works pretty well. 
"From now on, ask yourself, after every round, if you have more energy than before you began.  'Tis much more important than the score, Michael, much more important than the score."     --John Stark - 'To the Linksland'

http://www.hochsteindesign.com

MClutterbuck

« Reply #27 on: December 22, 2014, 06:13:27 PM »
Brett, we are thinking along your line of thought. Allow for the greyish/black soil (southern tip of South America) to darken the whiter sand and have it all tie in to the clay with volcanic sand pockets in the native areas. Lets see how it results with time.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back