News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Gary Daughters

Brunswick CC
« on: October 08, 2011, 04:50:14 PM »

Had the chance to play Brunswick Country Club on a beautiful early fall morning.  The Donald Ross greens, restored by the Love Design team, are gems.  Here are a few pictures.  After a few holes had to put away the camera and play golf.

Long on #1... not a good idea:

THE NEXT SEVEN:  Alfred E. Tupp Holmes Municipal Golf Course, Willi Plett's Sportspark and Driving Range, Peachtree, Par 56, Browns Mill, Cross Creek, Piedmont Driving Club

Mac Plumart

Re: Brunswick CC
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2011, 07:13:38 PM »
I've heard great things about this course.  I hope to make the trek next year. 
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

Ben Kodadek

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2011, 10:35:18 AM »
Mac, you've got to get down there.  It's pretty darn good for a flat golf course.  The greens are fantastic. 

What's equally as impressive is the way the club is run.  Simple clubhouse, small menu with good food, cold beer, small proshop, etc...Dan Hogan does a fantastic job and makes everyone who walks in the door feel like a 25 year member.  It should be a model for all of the clubs that have huge staffs, huge clubhouses, huge pools and huge debts. 

I look forward to getting back there soon.

David_Tepper

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2011, 05:09:35 PM »

Gary Daughters

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2011, 08:50:09 PM »
Ben, you make two good points.  The course is pretty flat and the fun really begins with the shot into the green.  (Being at sea level the course plays longer than the yardage indicates.)  More importantly, as you point out, this is a club that seems to have a good grip on exactly what it is.  Building a new clubhouse and restoring 18 greens in a relatively few years shows vision and courage.  The original Ross drawings didn't fall into their lap; they went and got them.  Dan Hogan seems to be a genuinely classy and welcoming professional.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2011, 08:56:20 PM by Gary Daughters »
THE NEXT SEVEN:  Alfred E. Tupp Holmes Municipal Golf Course, Willi Plett's Sportspark and Driving Range, Peachtree, Par 56, Browns Mill, Cross Creek, Piedmont Driving Club

john_stiles

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2011, 10:37:38 PM »

Would echo the above comments that the second shots and recoveries are a lot of fun.

There are many challenging and interesting shots to the restored greens.

If you go near Brunswick,  it is well worth a call to see if play is possible.

Also 'ditto' on comments about Dan Hogan,  a first rate person,  manager,  and PGA golf professional.

Club has an interesting set of Ross sketches on the clubhouse walls.

Howard Riefs

« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2014, 05:09:57 PM »
I had an opportunity to play Brunswick CC last month while we were down at Sea Island. I was quite impressed with the routing, the superb Ross greens (restored by Love Design in 2007) and the GM Dan Hogan has to be one of the nicest guys in golf.

I highly recommend others check it out when they're in the area.

A few photos from the morning:

3th hole (450 / 481)

4th hole (136 / 152)

5th hole (386 / 423)

6th hole (483 / 515)

8th hole (186 / 211)

9th hole (386 / 413)

10th hole (394 / 425)

14th hole (559 / 592)

16th hole (376 / 429)

18th hole (377 / 426)

« Last Edit: December 11, 2014, 05:17:34 PM by Howard Riefs »
"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

Chris Buie

« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2014, 07:18:57 PM »
I didn't see it on their website, but I think Brunswick was built by the WPA.

http://www.brunswickcountryclub.com/history2.html

Stephen Northrup

« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2014, 10:16:16 PM »
Agree with all the points above. Between the great green complexes and the low-key atmosphere, I'd rather play Brunswick CC than any of the other SE Georgia courses other than Seaside at Sea Island.

I haven't played Ocean Forest, though, so can't compare the experience there.

John_Cullum

« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2014, 09:50:27 AM »
Dan Hogan certainly deserves the accolades, but I can't allow Mark Anderson to go without recognition. A great guy. Smokes cigars while he plays, and he'll enjoy a cold one with you.
Raynor was a hack

Tom Ferrell

« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2014, 01:22:06 PM »
Do not miss Brunswick CC on a trip to SE Georgia.  Really a wonderful place.  Also, let me put in my obligatory plug for Joe Lee's Okefenokee CC, just an hour west of Brunswick.  The definition of "hidden gem." 

john_stiles

« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2014, 11:11:56 PM »

Will ditto all the wonderful remarks above because I have enjoyed two visits there after the course work.

It is a flat course, with a few shallow rolls, and the greens are superb.

There are many challenging putts, and recovery shots. Just a lot of fun to play.

And Dan Hogan is a champion for all his efforts at the club.

The new clubhouse is a now a very nicely completed modern and very functional affair.

Stop if you pass by Brunswick on I-95.

Josh Tarble

« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2014, 11:05:49 AM »
I had an opportunity to play Brunswick CC last month while we were down at Sea Island. I was quite impressed with the routing, the superb Ross greens (restored by Love Design in 2007) and the GM Dan Hogan has to be one of the nicest guys in golf.

Howard,

I'd be interested to know how it compares to Broadmoor in your eyes?  I had an opportunity lined up to play it while I was down there and unfortunately it didn't work out. But from all accounts seems like it would be Broadmoor with Bermuda grass.

Carl Johnson

« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2014, 06:04:56 PM »

Will ditto all the wonderful remarks above because I have enjoyed two visits there after the course work.

There are many challenging putts, and recovery shots. Just a lot of fun to play.

The new clubhouse is a now a very nicely completed modern and very functional affair.

At the end of 2013 they show mortgage debt of roughly $5.6 million, presumably most or all of which went into the new clubhouse -- I don't know for sure, of course.  Annual report for 2013: http://990s.foundationcenter.org/990_pdf_archive/580/580175020/580175020_201312_990O.pdf  Does anyone have an idea of their viability, financially?

Isn't this a private club?  If so, how can one just stop in?
« Last Edit: December 14, 2014, 06:07:21 PM by Carl Johnson »

Eric Strulowitz

« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2014, 12:00:58 AM »

At the end of 2013 they show mortgage debt of roughly $5.6 million, presumably most or all of which went into the new clubhouse -- I don't know for sure, of course.  Annual report for 2013: http://990s.foundationcenter.org/990_pdf_archive/580/580175020/580175020_201312_990O.pdf  Does anyone have an idea of their viability, financially?

Maybe its just me, but I found providing the links to these financial statements to be irrelevant and in bad taste.  The original poster was sharing his thoughts about a wonderful course and you bring in garbage like this.  Who cares?

And the comment  about it being a private course is equally silly.  Other than a few of the most elite of upper tier courses, there are very few courses one cannot get on.  Most clubs are delighted to have guests, especially if the guest indicates a reason such as bucket list, architectural appeal, a friend whom is a member,  or whatever.  All it takes is a bit of networking, a phone call from your pro, or a very polite email or phone call. Sometimes, you will strike out the first time, but if you stick with it there are very few courses that are impossible to get on.   Every visitor is a potential member, or someone who might refer a potential member, and at the very least  incremental income at a time where every dollar can count.

I have long been aware of this course, and it was never on my radar, it is now.  Many thanks to the original poster, could not care less about that other irrelevant rubbish, it is about the course and the experience.  Let them worry about their finances, it is none of our business.

Carl Johnson

« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2014, 09:31:45 AM »

Maybe its just me, but I found providing the links to these financial statements to be irrelevant and in bad taste.  The original poster was sharing his thoughts about a wonderful course and you bring in garbage like this.  Who cares?

Carl's response to Eric: I don't think it's just you.  I'm sure others share your views.  On the other hand, I expect that some believe the financial health of a club is relevant.  What good is the course if lots of money is needlessly spent on a new clubhouse, and as a result the course can't be well maintained, or it folds.  Not that I know any of this is going to happen.  That's why I asked the question.  I'd be pleased to have an explanation of why all is well and good at Brunswick.

As far as the link to the 990, that's public information anyone can get who wants it, so I was just saving others a step or two.  A "cost" of operating as a nonprofit is that you are required to publish your financials (to the extent called for on the 990) so that the public can take a look at your operation.  Many golf clubs operate as nonprofits, for which they receive a tax benefit, yet others (e.g., August National, Quail Hollow Club and probably most real estate development clubs) operate as privately owned profit-making ventures, or they hope so(!) and thus are, rightfully, not subject to public scrutiny.  If you choose to operate as a nonprofit, then you choose to display your financial information, and ought to be happy to do so.

And the comment  about it being a private course is equally silly.  Carl's response to Eric: I guess I come at this a little differently.  If a club is private, then I am going to respect that and not try to weasel access.  It just doesn't seem right to me.  I belong to a private club that does, from time to time, let nonmembers who have an angle play, and I resent that.  So, for me it's a case of "do unto others." Other than a few of the most elite of upper tier courses, there are very few courses one cannot get on.  Most clubs are delighted to have guests, especially if the guest indicates a reason such as bucket list, architectural appeal, a friend whom is a member,  or whatever.  All it takes is a bit of networking, a phone call from your pro, or a very polite email or phone call. Sometimes, you will strike out the first time, but if you stick with it there are very few courses that are impossible to get on.   Every visitor is a potential member, or someone who might refer a potential member, and at the very least  incremental income at a time where every dollar can count.

I have long been aware of this course, and it was never on my radar, it is now.  Many thanks to the original poster, could not care less about that other irrelevant rubbish, it is about the course and the experience.  Let them worry about their finances, it is none of our business.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2014, 09:37:52 AM by Carl Johnson »

Eric Strulowitz

« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2014, 11:02:00 AM »

Maybe its just me, but I found providing the links to these financial statements to be irrelevant and in bad taste.  The original poster was sharing his thoughts about a wonderful course and you bring in garbage like this.  Who cares?

Carl's response to Eric: I don't think it's just you.  I'm sure others share your views.  On the other hand, I expect that some believe the financial health of a club is relevant.  What good is the course if lots of money is needlessly spent on a new clubhouse, and as a result the course can't be well maintained, or it folds.  Not that I know any of this is going to happen.  That's why I asked the question.  I'd be pleased to have an explanation of why all is well and good at Brunswick.

As far as the link to the 990, that's public information anyone can get who wants it, so I was just saving others a step or two.  A "cost" of operating as a nonprofit is that you are required to publish your financials (to the extent called for on the 990) so that the public can take a look at your operation.  Many golf clubs operate as nonprofits, for which they receive a tax benefit, yet others (e.g., August National, Quail Hollow Club and probably most real estate development clubs) operate as privately owned profit-making ventures, or they hope so(!) and thus are, rightfully, not subject to public scrutiny.  If you choose to operate as a nonprofit, then you choose to display your financial information, and ought to be happy to do so.

And the comment  about it being a private course is equally silly.  Carl's response to Eric: I guess I come at this a little differently.  If a club is private, then I am going to respect that and not try to weasel access.  It just doesn't seem right to me.  I belong to a private club that does, from time to time, let nonmembers who have an angle play, and I resent that.  So, for me it's a case of "do unto others." Other than a few of the most elite of upper tier courses, there are very few courses one cannot get on.  Most clubs are delighted to have guests, especially if the guest indicates a reason such as bucket list, architectural appeal, a friend whom is a member,  or whatever.  All it takes is a bit of networking, a phone call from your pro, or a very polite email or phone call. Sometimes, you will strike out the first time, but if you stick with it there are very few courses that are impossible to get on.   Every visitor is a potential member, or someone who might refer a potential member, and at the very least  incremental income at a time where every dollar can count.

I have long been aware of this course, and it was never on my radar, it is now.  Many thanks to the original poster, could not care less about that other irrelevant rubbish, it is about the course and the experience.  Let them worry about their finances, it is none of our business.

You are certainly entitled to your views, all I could do though is shake my head in utter disbelief. Disbelief that there are those out there that think like this.

Playing other private courses in not weaseling access.  It has always been common practice for a pro to call a pro, that is part of the privilege of being with a private club.  If you have contacts, what is the matter with using that contact?.  I network plenty, and others network with me.  That is the way the world works, that is how we get things done and sharing is a pretty nice thing.  If you are a big Raynor fan or Ross fan, what is wrong with calling the club and telling them how much you admire the course and would love the opportunity to pay a visit.  Most tee sheets are empty during the week, why not?  For the sheer sake of exclusivity?  A beautiful golf course is a work of art, why not share that art with others.      I never resent a visitor at my club.  Because I am sure my club could use revenue like any other club, and every visitor is a potential member.  The tee sheet is seldom 100% full, so why not allow others to experience a good day out on a wonderful course and get away from it all for a few hours.  The visitor only gets space as available, he is not bumping me or anyone else  No one is trying to take away the private status of the club.  So what is the big deal, maybe you resent it, I do not one bit . If  a course has a very restrictive visitor policy, that is surely their right, and there  are a few clubs that are almost impossible, but that is barely the case, thank goodness most do not resent as you do.

To  most here, and to most in the real world, when we play a course or admire a course, the financials are irrelevant.  And we certainly do not need to provide links to tax and financial  information, although that is certainly publicly available, .  It is still private tax and financial information, I like to respect the privacy of others.  And it is not up to me to analyze these financial statements or decide what should or shouldn't have been done, that is the clubs business and they are accountable for their decisions, not me.  Most of us do not have this much time on our hands to worry about such irrelevancy and what could we do to change things anyway, it is none of our business.

I wish you a happy holiday season, I hope that if I ever show up at your club, you will not communicate your resentment to me or my family or friends.  Likewise, if you show up at my club someday,  I would be happy to show you around, buy you a drink, and tell you the history of the club.  That is not really doing anything overly special IMHO, that is just called basic hospitality and making strangers feel welcome.    Life is too short, there is too much hatred and animosity in this world.  To show resentment over something as trivial as a non-member stepping foot on a golf club, well I just don't comprehend that.  I will save resentment for things that really matter.   One of the reasons this world is in the sorry shape it is now, does not take much to irritate a lot of folks it seems. 
« Last Edit: December 15, 2014, 03:13:13 PM by Eric Strulowitz »

john_stiles

« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2014, 01:22:54 AM »
Carl,

Guess I am more in the Eric camp.  Looks like a number of GCA-ers have stopped by Brunswick.

Would think if you call ahead, and can play when it is not crowded, or if you belong to a club and your pro calls,  most can play Brunswick.  I am thinking of you and a friend,  not two foursomes passing through.

Of course, if you ask about financial health before asking about access, well , that might strain the rest of the conversation.

Figuring in financial health will not knock many courses off any to play list. Depending on when you play, it would eliminate many of the nice resorts. 

What is the world is happening at GCA when financial statements are posted ?  It should be a celebration of golf club architecture, challenging shots and recoveries, having fun with friends.   If financial statements are a concern,  how in the world can anyone contemplate playing golf anywhere public or private or resort ?

Where I live with  4 privates, 3 municipals or so, and about 6 interesting public courses to me,  I think I could play  1 private, and maybe 3 of the publics based on 990 qualifications.   And the one private is one that I could not access without a member, and they would politely tell me so if I called and politely asked.

Brunswick with a nice call....might be playable for many....and more than likely if you belong to a golf course.

It is a wonderful post by Howard Riefs and could not agree more with his note of  highly recommending that others check it out.

Sorry to have lead you astray Carl, and I hope the 990 virus is soon gone if that is also affecting reading GCA threads.

Richard Hetzel

« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2014, 12:07:57 PM »
I played there a few years back. Boring, very flat course with awesome green complexes. All of the original Ross drawings are hanging in the clubhouse. I can't remember if I posted pics of all 18 or not...
Last 7:
Westbrook CC (OH), NCR CC South (OH), Fort Jackson Wildcat (SC), True Blue GC (SC), Pinewood CC (NC), Asheboro Muni (NC), Dye River Course (VA)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back