News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Paul Gray

Re: 2014-15 Winter Tour: CUMBERWELL PARK
« Reply #25 on: December 15, 2014, 11:32:43 AM »
'The Orange' really does look like a very good course. Thanks for adding these.
In the places where golf cuts through pretension and elitism, it thrives and will continue to thrive because the simple virtues of the game and its attendant culture are allowed to be most apparent. - Tim Gavrich

Sean_A

« Reply #26 on: December 15, 2014, 12:04:35 PM »
For folks in the States, to compare the Orange and even to some degree the Stranahan at Players with a US guy, think of Kelly Blake Moran.  Very well done golf that may be missing some high end polishing, but delivers a big bang for buck in the value sweep steaks.

Ciao

New plays planned for 2024: Fraserburgh, Turnberry, Isle of Harris, Benbecula, Askernish, Traigh, St Medan, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Ryan Coles

« Reply #27 on: December 15, 2014, 02:05:41 PM »
Sean

Did you prefer the Orange 9 over the best of the Stranahan?

I personally think Adrian's best course is the Kendleshire. It goes against a lot of what most like on here and I dare say you wouldn't like it, but it's a course you can't fail to have fun on. Peter Mcevoy's 9 there is not as good but has a really interesting set of greens, or at least different to most in the area.

Sean_A

« Reply #28 on: December 15, 2014, 04:11:32 PM »
Tough question Ryan because I see each as a course rather than a string of holes.  That is why I don't think the combo of the Orange with the other two courses at Cumberwell works...there isn't enough continuity.  I do think I prefer the Orange over Stranahan, but that could change with time.  If I lived closer to either I would be happy to play both 2-4 times a year, much like the regularity of several courses I play in the Midlands.  I don't know about the Kendleshire.  I need something which attracts for me to drive several hours in a day for golf...generally speaking the regional or localized modern English courses aren't appealing to me.  That is what is so surprising about the Orange and Stranahan...its good golf with interesting features and ideas, without going OTT or charging a bundle. 

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Fraserburgh, Turnberry, Isle of Harris, Benbecula, Askernish, Traigh, St Medan, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #29 on: December 15, 2014, 04:37:01 PM »
The Department of Pedantry and the Coalition Against Creep both note the impossibility of a Winter Tour during autumn.  ;D
Charlotte. Daniel. Olivia. Josephine. Ana. Dylan. Madeleine. Catherine. Chase. Jesse. James. Grace. Emilie. Jack. Noah. Caroline. Jessica. Benjamin. Avielle. Allison.

Sean_A

Re: 2014-15 Winter Tour: CUMBERWELL PARK New
« Reply #30 on: December 15, 2014, 07:18:24 PM »
Hey Bourgeois...if you want to be a cheeky monkey at least add something to the conversation.  The Department of Hit & Run now has your plate number.

Ciao
« Last Edit: March 29, 2015, 08:19:01 AM by Sean_A »

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #31 on: December 15, 2014, 07:25:48 PM »
You are right of course, Sean. I looked on the club's website for a routing to post but couldn't find one. I am interested in the routing per your opening post and hope Adrian or you could post one.
Charlotte. Daniel. Olivia. Josephine. Ana. Dylan. Madeleine. Catherine. Chase. Jesse. James. Grace. Emilie. Jack. Noah. Caroline. Jessica. Benjamin. Avielle. Allison.

Marc Haring

« Reply #32 on: December 16, 2014, 03:34:11 AM »
There's this bing link showing an aerial view. Should be able to suss the routing although you will have to drag it right a tad to show all the holes.

http://www.bing.com/maps/?v=2&cp=sjvfx9gtc42j&lvl=17&sty=b&form=LMLTCC

Or below.

« Last Edit: December 16, 2014, 07:13:05 AM by Marc Haring »

Sean_A

« Reply #33 on: December 16, 2014, 03:44:10 AM »
You are right of course, Sean. I looked on the club's website for a routing to post but couldn't find one. I am interested in the routing per your opening post and hope Adrian or you could post one.

Mark

Re-reading my hit and run comment, I realize I completely missed the mark with my intended humour.  Sorry about that  :-\

I hope we get an aerial out of somebody.  I don't grab the Google or whatever images because I am never sure about copyright issues...hence I never post aerials. 

Ciao 

Marc Haring

« Reply #34 on: December 16, 2014, 03:59:41 AM »

Ciao  

Erm.... Aerial above your post Sean
« Last Edit: December 16, 2014, 04:35:56 AM by Marc Haring »

Adrian_Stiff

« Reply #35 on: December 17, 2014, 01:15:17 PM »
I bumped into a former Cumberwell member today and he dislikes the Orange nine at Cumberwell, strangely he likes the Stranahan.  I found it weird that he could like one and not the other. When I quizzed him further and asked why he said the green at the 3rd, he did not like the fact that you hit a great shot and it goes through, this is something that has repeatedly been told to me about redan type holes. I think at a short hole (par 3) you can get away with it but the bad bits of a redan get highlighted when its a two shotter.

Never going to please everyone.

« Last Edit: December 17, 2014, 01:43:07 PM by Adrian_Stiff »
A combination of whats good for golf and good for turf.
The Players Club, Cumberwell Park, The Kendleshire, Oake Manor, Dainton Park, Forest Hills, Erlestoke, St Cleres.
www.theplayersgolfclub.com

Marc Haring

« Reply #36 on: December 17, 2014, 02:59:53 PM »
When I quizzed him further and asked why he said the green at the 3rd, he did not like the fact that you hit a great shot and it goes through,

Well he didn't hit a great shot then did he!  :-\

Sean_A

« Reply #37 on: December 18, 2014, 05:21:46 AM »
I bumped into a former Cumberwell member today and he dislikes the Orange nine at Cumberwell, strangely he likes the Stranahan.  I found it weird that he could like one and not the other. When I quizzed him further and asked why he said the green at the 3rd, he did not like the fact that you hit a great shot and it goes through, this is something that has repeatedly been told to me about redan type holes. I think at a short hole (par 3) you can get away with it but the bad bits of a redan get highlighted when its a two shotter.

Never going to please everyone.

Adrian, the 3rd is one of the best holes on the Orange.  With three holes on that slope, it seems silly not to have one of them allow the slope to really dominate the green complex.  The bunkering too is very good.  There is plenty of space to approach right with I think the idea being for the over-cautious approach leaving a dreadful two putt.  Good stuff. 

Ciao

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back