News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

James Bledge

gWest Development, Nr Gleneagles, Perthshire, Scotland.
« on: December 12, 2014, 11:03:11 AM »
Hi everyone, this is my first thread on GCA so i decided to start something a little interesting as I am aware the topic hasn't really been touched on yet.

I was part of the construction and grow in team and have since moved on. When i was working there I was not allowed to post photos but i guess I can now as its an incredibly amazing course. Designed by David McLay Kidd with Paul Kimber the onsite architect,

It was the brain child of the Highland Spring owner and was intended to be the 'Scottish Queenwood'. for whatever reasons it remains unfinished (not going to get into the politics of it all on here!) but i thought everyone would be interested in some photos of this place.

The course itself is kept to a very high standard every day even though no golf is played. Hopefully it will open soon so the boys who have sweat blood and tears recieve  the fruits of their labour.

I'm happy to answer any questions apart from the "why isn't it open yet' question!

For any of you guys interested in all my construction photos the link is here:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/75427905@N08/sets/72157649311131889/

My entire photo portfolio is here:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/75427905@N08/sets

« Last Edit: December 13, 2014, 04:33:22 PM by James Bledge »

Michael Graham

Re: gWest Development, Nr Gleneagles, Perthshire, Scotland.
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2014, 11:34:17 AM »
James - I was at the Ryder Cup with gWest in September. They were pretty cagey about giving too many details about when the course is going to be fully open. They intimated that there has almost been a 'soft opening' since last year with lots of rounds having been played. I imagine that now the clubhouse has been built they must be keen to get things rolling. From what the guys at Gleneagles were saying the course is bedding in beautifully. Hopefully it is completed sooner rather later.

Michael

James Bledge

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2014, 11:56:42 AM »
Yeah, the surfaces are impeccable , any outstanding drainage issues were being addressed when i left 2 years ago. The greens are 99% poa free which is a pretty high standard. The putting and chipping greens have just grown in this year so its all coming together.

James Bledge

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2014, 12:00:12 PM »

James Bledge

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2014, 12:04:39 PM »
This is the 13th hole, when finished, the bridge will sit almost flush with the water, the water level now sits above the safety shelf around half a meter from the edge. great par 3

James Bledge

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2014, 12:06:59 PM »
This is the 9th, outrageous tee shot from the back tees with a great view over Perthshire. When the broom comes into flower its a feast of yellow! very intimidating tee shot.

James Bledge

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2014, 12:11:31 PM »
The 8th is an epic par 3 with a sneaky wee back left pin position hidden behind a mound. I always imagined walking up the approach, anticipating how close the ball ended up! This photo was taken in 2011 i think, now all the sand is in the bunkers and the heather that was transplanted from the fields on the distant hills is now a mass of purple. The dew walks are an absolute pleasure to walk on while the rough is a straight pure fescue mix, free of weeds and unwanted grasses.

David_Tepper

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2014, 12:13:38 PM »
Nice pics. Keep them coming!

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2014, 12:16:08 PM »
Thanks for these, James.

I walked the course once (in 2009) and thought the 8th looked like it would make a cracking 3.

James Bledge

« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2014, 12:19:36 PM »

James Bledge

« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2014, 12:21:28 PM »

James Bledge

« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2014, 12:22:46 PM »

James Bledge

« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2014, 12:23:55 PM »

James Bledge

Marc Haring

« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2014, 12:31:43 PM »
Nice pictures James.

Is Lee Strutt still there. Where will you be moving to?

James Boon

« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2014, 12:40:48 PM »
James,

Thanks for the photos. Whenever I'm heading past on the A9 I always find myself glancing across and wondering what its like up close.

Another thing I find myself wondering is what on earth is that bizarre building on site? Without breaking into some architectural critique here of the clubhouse from my little knowledge of it, are you able to give us a clue as to the thinking behind it?

Cheers,

James
2023 Highlights: Hollinwell (Notts), Brora, Aberdovey, Royal St Davids, Woodhall Spa, Broadstone, Parkstone, Cleeve, Painswick, Minchinhampton, Hoylake

"It celebrates the unadulterated pleasure of being in a dialogue with nature while knocking a ball round on foot." Richard Pennell

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2014, 01:24:38 PM »
Nice pictures James.

Lee's still there.
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Tom Dunne

« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2014, 02:19:25 PM »
That clubhouse/Jodorowsky film set is clearly visible from the Queens at Gleneagles. I didn't know what it was when I was there last summer, but I thought it was weird enough to merit several pictures. Glad to email a couple to someone who knows how to post photos as it does give a sense of proximity.

Marc Haring

« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2014, 02:35:02 PM »
Nice pictures James.

Lee's still there.

Thanks Adam.

Kind of surprised as Lee is both very good and very ambitious. A golf course without golfers kind of leaves you feeling like you'd be under achieving.

James Bledge

« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2014, 02:46:54 PM »
James… The inspiration for the clubhouse is Mereworth House in Kent

http://www.thecultureconcept.com/circle/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/Mereworth-in-Kent.jpg

I think its very iconic and love how they have pushed boundaries with the design, the stone work is amazing also.

Lee is a very good friend of mine and is still there. he runs a tight ship and is at the top of his game, I have been working as Assistant Links Superintendent at Royal Cinque Ports now for over 2 years, I always visit gWest when i'm back up the road though.

David_Tepper

« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2014, 03:10:55 PM »
"The inspiration for the clubhouse is Mereworth House in Kent"

James & James -

And of course the inspiration of Mereworth House was Andrea Palladio's Villa "La Rotonda," outside of Vicenza, Italy.

http://www.villalarotonda.it/en/homepage.htm

DT
« Last Edit: December 12, 2014, 03:19:11 PM by David_Tepper »

Colin Macqueen

« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2014, 03:53:29 PM »
James and James,
Amazing idea that. Such a fine golf course with nae gowfers yet! The Perthshire backdrop is so lovely ......  the gateway to the highlands indeed.

I looked up "Mereworth House" on the web and it is actually called Mereworth Castle and interestingly Mereworth Castle was bought by the UAE ambassador to the UK and this same gentleman owns Highland Springs bottled water company! The circle is complete and why not build a modern "Mereworth" as the golf club house on my golf course says Mahdi Al-Tajir. Neat story methinks. Fascinating!

Cheers Colin
"Golf, thou art a gentle sprite, I owe thee much"
The Hielander

Thomas Dai

« Reply #22 on: December 12, 2014, 04:01:05 PM »
Given no (or little) play and thus presumably no (or little) income I'm curious to know where the money is coming from to cover the day-to-day operating etc costs which must be quite substancial. Plus the repayment of any loans/interest to build it in the first place and all other related costs. There must be quite a tidy sum involved.
atb
« Last Edit: December 12, 2014, 04:03:09 PM by Thomas Dai »

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #23 on: December 12, 2014, 04:16:43 PM »
Given no (or little) play and thus presumably no (or little) income I'm curious to know where the money is coming from to cover the day-to-day operating etc costs which must be quite substancial. Plus the repayment of any loans/interest to build it in the first place and all other related costs. There must be quite a tidy sum involved.
atb

The al-Tajir family that is developing gWest are the wealthiest people in Scotland. Cash is not much of an issue.
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

James Bledge

« Reply #24 on: December 13, 2014, 03:25:26 AM »
Seven years of outgoings and no income leads to a massive deficit but as I said earlier I don't wish to get in to all the reasons why its not opened as I honestly don't know why! Only the big boys at the top do! I was just happy to share photos and info on the agronomy and architecture side although I was always aware what the main talking point was going to be! ;D

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back