News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

BCowan

Re: Ross Retreat 2014
« Reply #25 on: December 07, 2014, 08:35:31 AM »
Haven't stayed at Pine Crest, but I would stay at Pine Needles in a heart beat.  Perfect place for me, great Bar, great rooms.  You need to go to Maxies for Drinks. 

The bar at pine needles is the coolest I've been to in the States. It's just perfect.

Wow.  I didn't care for the bar at all.  A real 70s throwback.  At least there isn't a drop ceiling...is there? 

Ciao

A drop Bar.  70's are fine by me

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #26 on: December 07, 2014, 08:38:15 AM »
Another reason I think I'll like BCowan. I think that the drop bar at Pine Needles is beyond awesome. It doesn't work everywhere, but it's so unexpected in the sandhills that it would be my place of gathering every night in that town.
Coming in August 2023
~Manakiki
~OSU Scarlet
~OSU Grey
~NCR South
~Springfield
~Columbus
~Lake Forest (OH)
~Sleepy Hollow (OH)

BCowan

« Reply #27 on: December 07, 2014, 08:47:29 AM »
S,

Next time you go to Southern Pines/Pinehurst you should head to Maxie's Bar.  I think you would like this fine est.  I apologize to the locals for exposing a Gem. 

Sean_A

« Reply #28 on: December 07, 2014, 09:18:53 AM »
Haven't stayed at Pine Crest, but I would stay at Pine Needles in a heart beat.  Perfect place for me, great Bar, great rooms.  You need to go to Maxies for Drinks. 

The bar at pine needles is the coolest I've been to in the States. It's just perfect.

Wow.  I didn't care for the bar at all.  A real 70s throwback.  At least there isn't a drop ceiling...is there? 

Ciao

A drop Bar.  70's are fine by me

In fact, the entire Pine Needles side of the road has a 70s vibe.  Its all okay, but far from my preference. 

The bar that surprised me was S Pines.  Below ground, a cave like thing....a real shocker.  Still, if I can get a cold beer after the game thats the main thing.  If I want to visit cool bars I wouldn't be at a golf club  ;)

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Dunfanaghy, Fraserburgh, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Bill_McBride

« Reply #29 on: December 07, 2014, 08:17:03 PM »
I guess I don't get the Pine Crest Inn thing.

The bar area is too small, the hearth area is too small, the drinks are expensive (even for Pinehurst) and it adds up to abuse of clientele for me.

Correct,  you don't get it. 

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #30 on: December 07, 2014, 11:15:15 PM »

The bar area is too small, the hearth area is too small, the drinks are expensive (even for Pinehurst) and it adds up to abuse of clientele for me.

So tempting, but I'll pass.
Coming in August 2023
~Manakiki
~OSU Scarlet
~OSU Grey
~NCR South
~Springfield
~Columbus
~Lake Forest (OH)
~Sleepy Hollow (OH)

Tom Fagerli

« Reply #31 on: December 08, 2014, 06:33:11 AM »
Another vote for Maxie's. Very good food too. Last time there two nice dogs met me at the entrance. My kind of place.

Matt Wharton

« Reply #32 on: December 08, 2014, 07:12:51 AM »
Gents,

I am back in the saddle this morning at Carolina having survived another Ross Retreat!  After our bouts with Mother Nature the past three tries, this year will go down as one of our better outings (got Saturday's round in before the heavy stuff came down and only had to contend with a cold, stiff breeze yesterday).  I am lucky to work for members that love golf and willingly invite me to tag along on trips like this.  Thank everyone for their replies and suggestions with regards to other locations that would provide groups a similar experience... and yes, public access was important in this context.

I did get to play two rounds with Double Barky Sparky and I can attest to his handicap!  The guy has talent and the skills of a scratch player somewhere inside but then he does things that make you say WTF?  ;)

Cheers!
Matthew Wharton, CGCS, MG
Idle Hour CC
Lexington, KY

Bill_McBride

« Reply #33 on: December 08, 2014, 07:53:30 AM »

So tempting, but I'll pass.

I should have asked if you've stayed a few nights in the past.   A single visit staying somewhere else is a different thing.  Staying there is different, comfortable like an old pair of shoes you look forward to wearing again. 

Roger Wolfe

« Reply #34 on: December 08, 2014, 12:59:32 PM »
To enjoy The Pine Crest Inn you need to be part of a large group or at least a foursome.  The drinks are cheap (unless your definition of "expensive" is something not chugged in the parking lot from a bottle purchased at the ABC store), the rooms are cheap ($120 includes breakfast and dinner), the decor is shabby, the rooms are downright strange (mini beds and strange toilets and off-kilter tubs and sawed off bed posters).  It is basically a fraternity house with lots of obnoxious "brothers," a nearby bar to pick up sorority girls (Dugan's) and more than a few "Dean Wormers" sitting at the bar.

If you want to stay in the dorm, go to the Hampton Inn.  I will take the Pinehurst any day.

This is, however, the first year I have seen a great improvement at all the local 19th holes.  The folks at Southern Pines (still the best design/routing  in the sandhills) were just wonderful.  Mid Pines had a pre round bloody mary bar and a cheerful, friendly staff.  Pine Needles was a little more formal but I, like Bill and Ben, just love the sunken bar.  Their is another sunken bar in the Southern Pines area... can anybody else name it?

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #35 on: December 08, 2014, 01:33:44 PM »
Elk's Lodge - in the basement.
"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

Roger Wolfe

« Reply #36 on: December 08, 2014, 02:15:35 PM »
Well done Mr. Kennedy!!

I love that bar... has a great "disk bowling" machine too.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back