News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ran Morrissett

Feature Interview with Dr. Mike Hurdzan is posted
« on: January 05, 2015, 12:00:33 PM »
I love bound books and hate Nooks. Stacks of books that scale the heights in libraries like those in NYC, Boston and Trinity College can be as inspirational as churches. And how about specialty shops à la the old Murder Ink in Manhattan?! Many a Nero Wolfe book was purchased there, I assure you! Talk about awe-inspiring, how about a room full of 6,000 golf books?!  :o  Well that’s what I found at Hurdzan Golf headquarters. My tour there with Mike and his son Chris was a highlight of the year. It’s little wonder that the late, great Tom MacWood spent so much time there.  

As much as any living architect, Mike grasps the game’s evolution and that appreciation serves at the core of his design tenets.  He notes, ”Understanding the evolutionary forces and history of the game, and those principles and concepts that are the most basic and timeless, are the ones that I most enjoy trying to incorporate into our designs.  The most dominant concepts or philosophies are ‘Form Follows Function,’ economy in construction and maintenance, affordability and accessibility, economic and environmental sustainability, and healthy, outdoor recreation for all golfers.  Truly successful golf courses share those qualities no matter where they are located, when they were built, or how they were built.”

There is no faking 6,000 golf books. That’s a sure sign of genuine intellectual curiosity. In Mike’s case, the roots were laid in 1957 when the 13 year old became the ‘greenkeeper’ at the Beacon Light, a family-owned nine-holer on the west side of Columbus. He has been immersed in the game ever since.  “I think the most fascinating thing about golf is how infectious it is to the human spirit.  The game is supposedly over 600 years old and it roots or precursors may go many multiples of that, and it has survived natural catastrophes, world wars, depressions and ugly politics.” He adds, “In one sense it is insane. However, it attracts people willing to be humbled, who care about sportsmanship, companionship, competition and the environment of the golf course.  In that sense, it is magic.  Fascinating and fun!”

I was surprised to find that the Hurdzan brand is attached to more than 300 (!) courses worldwide. Erin Hills, Devil’s Paintbrush & Pulpit, Calusa Pines, Bully Pulpit and Hamilton Farms are among the headliners. Mike was even at Cabot in the late 1990s before it became Cabot! At the moment, Hurdzan Golf is rewinding the clock on The  ;) Ohio State University Gray Course. Hurdzan describes it; “Our task is to preserve and restore the greatness of MacKenzie/Maxwell by simply returning the greens and bunkers to their original shapes and sizes.  The Gray course will be over 6,000 yards from the back tees when we are done and will be one of the best, most fun to play short courses in the nation, particularly with such a grand pedigree.  We are turning the clock back 80 years on this little legacy masterpiece.” I can’t wait to profile it after the work is done: not enough attention can be showered upon those rarest of things – a neat 6,000 yarder in North America.

Mike Hurdzan is a walking encyclopedia of knowledge born from a passion for the sport that has excited him for six plus decades. A thorough tour of his office would take days, not hours. I was speaking with Ron Whitten two weeks ago and it’s not surprising that the two have shared a tight friendship for more than 30 years. Both love the game’s history that provides a child-like joy to this day. I can only imagine how much fun they had prowling around Erin Hills.

As you will discern from this month’s Feature Interview, there is a graciousness about Dr. Hurdzan that comes with the experience of having ‘been there, done that.’ His passions still burns bright and his eyes twinkle at the mention of their potential quarry course. He need not prove anything at the expense of others; rather he has developed very strong feelings about the right way to go about building a golf course. The misuse of land is a needless annoyance in this day and age. He writes, “We bury our dead in golf, for unsuccessful courses are either remodeled to an acceptable standard or they close.  Each time one of those basic tenets of golf design is violated brings it one step closer to remodel or death.”

No better way to kick off 2015 than with this Feature Interview of a long time class act.

Best,
« Last Edit: January 05, 2015, 03:47:51 PM by Ran Morrissett »

Phil McDade

Re: Feature Interview with Dr. Mike Hurdzan is posted
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2015, 12:20:07 PM »
Ran:

Thanks for that interview; he's an interesting guy. I was particularly interested to hear his views on Erin Hills, which align with much of what I've heard and seen reported on the course here in Wisconsin. He, too, seems a bit wistful about some of the changes made there, notably the removal of the blind esker of the 17th diminishing that hole.

RJ_Daley

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2015, 12:02:06 AM »
One of the highlights of my pursuit of a study or inquiry of golf course architecture/design/construction/turfgrass/ as a hobbyist who had some desire to develop a golf course project in the early 90s was to take Dr. Hurdzan's seminars given through the GCSAA on GC Construction Techniques, and Remodeling and Restoring golf courses.  I even have a certificate that I completed and passed the seminar test at the end.  ::) ;) ;D      

I took those seminars at the convention in NOLA in 1992, and besides Dr. Hurdzan, Geoff Cornish was a lecturer.  I also took a section on Scouting and Sampling and IPM on the turf maintenance side.  Dr. Rossi was a presenter along with MSU Dr. Reekie (sp?)  I forget the name of the Wadsworth SW section chief who presented with Dr. Hurdzan.  I mention all this because I think that year I caught lightening in a bottle with getting to learn from - and even socialize with some of these true leading experts in the field.  I even sat with the venerable Mr. Cornish for lunch one day and had a wonderful conversation with him.  These are memories that are a big deal for me.  

I was very impressed with Dr. Hurdzan for his wit and ability to communicate his subject material.  He was still a Col. in the Army Reserve at the time, and he had a definite button-up skill to present a tightly organized lecture and conduct a compehensive and understandable theme to his lecture.  He was proud of his early work as a turf manager, and that obviously factored highly in his design philosophy.  I sure hope he gets this 30 year in the making project he spoke of in the interview.  For all he has done to share his experience and knowledge, he deserves his shot at his idea of a dream project.  

It is easy to see Dr. Hurdzan's highly organized methodology, likely enhanced by his military experience as an officer.  His book, and how it is presented, along with his model syllabus of staging and scheduling a golf course design and construction project reflect these skills.  

Dr. Hurdzan has always been the Superintendent's biggest advocate and the relationship runs deep.

I'm really glad that Ran has finally featured Dr. Hurdzan and I think his persona and deep passion for all things golf related comes through very clearly.  

It seems to me now that we have lost a great Golf Course Architecture venerable figure and keeper of the historical aspects of GCA in Geoffry Cornish, that Dr. Hurdzan is the venerable one to keep the flame of the historical record alive.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2015, 07:54:36 AM by RJ_Daley »
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Jason Topp

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2015, 12:33:43 AM »
One of the first golf architecture books I read was Dr. Hurzdan's.  It is an ambitious read but full of interesting detail on how he goes about the process.  I have always enjoyed the course he built for our county (Baker National) which, despite its grand name, is a very low budget affair filled with a interesting holes in a beautiful setting. 

I am not sure I understand his concept of "form follows function." I would love more of an explanation.

Josh Bills

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2015, 12:15:09 PM »
An enjoyable interview.  As someone who currently lives in Columbus and grew up just an hour away, nice to see a local guy having such impact/success in the business.  I grew up on a Jack Kidwell design and my brother was a pro for many years at Westchester Golf Course in Canal Winchester a H/F design.  A fun course despite for the most part surrounded by housing.  Westchester had width off the tee but some great green complexes that required a well thought out second shot and was always fun to putt and chip (and very affordable to play). 

Look forward to the OSU Grey reno and hope the changes increase the fun as I know many a member who basically refuse to play Scarlet now because it is too hard.  A Grey course that brings back Mac/Maxwell is one I look forward to playing.   

David Royer

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2015, 06:14:15 PM »
Ran, thanks for taking the time to visit with Mike and Chris.  I have had the good fortune to spend time at the office.  You could not find two more generous people to spend time with.  if anyone ever gets the chance to visit,  ask to visit the basement.  It is full of drawings that are a joy to see. The book collection is extraordinary.   As a resident of Columbus I share Mike's passion for Columbus and golf. The Hurdzan family is an outstanding asset to our community. Sometimes I think we take for granted that within a 15 mile radius we have the Golf Club, Muirfield Village, Scioto, and Brookside.  Go Bucks!

BHoover

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2015, 10:12:25 PM »
I enjoyed the interview with Dr. Hurdzan very much. Especially interesting to hear that he had a site for an Erin Hills type course south of Columbus, but unfortunately it doesn't sound like the prospects of it ever being developed are too good. His take on the Phoenix Golf Links is also spot on. I also agree with his take on why life in Columbus is so good, despite the weather. It was my home for 12 years, so I love to see someone promoting Columbus (and really, all of Ohio).

Finally, having played both the Scarlet and Gray courses all the time while in law school, I am thrilled at the thought of a restoration project on the Gray course. It's so much fun and features some very good holes in its current state, and a restoration would be so good. OSU would have two superb courses--the tournament course in Scarlet and the "fun" course in a restored Gray. Can't wait to see the finished product!

Tommy Naccarato

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2015, 11:11:19 PM »
Dr. Mike = One of my favorite people on the planet!

JC Urbina

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2015, 10:24:27 AM »
Ran,

Thank you for including Dr. Hurdzan in the mix.  A nice refreshing interview with a very genuine man.  I am sorry I didn't get to talk with him earlier on in my formative years in golf.

We met at the golf show several years ago a month after we shared an interview day at MPCC.  He is very kind and has offered his help on several occasions either with historical information or even a chance to view his extensive golf library. 

Jason Thurman

« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2015, 11:14:01 AM »
The interview with Dr. Hurdzan helps contextualize a lot of his work. His emphasis on the relationship between form and function is one that I take to mean that features on courses must serve their architectural purpose, and not just exist because they're "cool" or fun to look at. I gather that he also extends this emphasis to maintenance, which makes his courses easier and more affordable to maintain.

I don't know enough about maintenance to know whether his concepts work or not, but locally, he's done a ton of affordable, fun courses that appear to be inexpensive to maintain. While there isn't always a lot of "wow factor" on the Hurdzan courses I've played, I find that they leave me with an urge to return. It's hard for me to explain why I enjoy playing places like Lassing Pointe or Gibson Bay in Kentucky, for instance, but I really enjoy them. Their designs offer plenty of variety, they're friendly to beginners, and they feature plenty of excitement for stronger players as well.

I love Erin Hills as well. However, when I think of Hurdzan's work, the first thing I think of are the genuinely enjoyable and budget-friendly local courses he's built near me. Frankly, that's a far more noble legacy than a tough, toothy US Open caliber course. It would be great, though, if he can add to it with his 30-year dream project or with one of Keiser's courses. I'd be very interested to see what he can do with another high-profile opportunity.
"There will always be haters. That’s just the way it is. Hating dudes marry hating women and have hating ass kids." - Evan Turner

Some of y'all have never been called out in bold green font and it really shows.

Carl Rogers

« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2015, 01:06:31 PM »
We all have a range of life experiences and to listen to Dr. Hurdzan's and father's early life caddying is informative. 

I, too, got my start in the game in that way.  Our household was sort of in the middle, not well off, but not wanting.  My early caddy experience was not nearly so romantic.  At this point in my life, I can say that I kept at the game inspite my early caddy experience.
I decline to accept the end of man. ... William Faulkner

Rob Collins

« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2015, 02:42:53 PM »
Thanks, Ran and Dr. Hurdzan, for the interview.  I'm excited to read it.  I still have an extraordinarily thoughtful, handwritten note from Dr. Hurdzan from nearly a decade ago after I sent him a porfolio/resume.  It is rare to get any response at all after one sends information to an architect and is completely unheard of to get a page long handwritten letter.  I was blown away by his kindness, and I will be pleased to learn more about him from the interview. I have several of his books in my "library", which is somewhere around 5,932 books shy of his....

Rob Collins

www.kingcollinsgolf.com
@kingcollinsgolf on Twitter
@kingcollinsgolf on Instagram

Adam Warren

« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2015, 12:28:01 PM »
My first job out of high school was at a Hurdzan course, Wasioto Winds in Pineville, Ky.   It was the first course built on the signature series line of courses for the state of Kentucky parks system.  It is also where I really honed my game in to become a pretty good player.  The course always will hold a special place for me and it is really a fantastic course as well.  The story behind Wasioto makes it even more fantastic and would love to be able to talk with him one day about it.  It is built on the site of a failed man-made lake.  It was basically swamp area for 20-30 years or better.  Heading over to check out the interview now....

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back