News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jay Mickle

Re: Does knowing the architect before you play a course effect your game plan?
« Reply #25 on: September 03, 2015, 09:55:56 PM »
Approach shots to well bunkered green are not the forte of the spade mashies. For me knowing the architect is supremely helpful in deciding wether to play hickory or modern clubs.  Courses by the ODG's and some of the current designers that accommodate the ground game will have me pulling out the old sticks in hopes of greater appreciation of the intended strategic options.
@MickleStix on Instagram
MickleStix.com

Paul Gray

« Reply #26 on: September 04, 2015, 07:12:01 PM »
Yes and no. I suppose it depends on the architect in question and how much I know about his style.

There are times when I come away from a course and, although I've enjoyed it, wonder whether I've missed a trick or two due to it being my first visit or whether in fact it was always a bit over hyped. Subsequent visits, more often than not, leave me thinking the latter. Often the conclusion is that I've played a nice course in a pretty setting with interesting greens but not too much strategic interest to lure me back time and time again.

On the other hand, I tend to just 'get' Harry Colt. Everything he did just chimes with my own sense of logic it seems. How I best approach a Colt hole seems to come pretty intuitively to me. Either he was a great architect or he and I are/were both very simple people incapable of appreciating anything needing more prolonged consideration. The jury is out on me but Colt's reputation seems to be holding up pretty well!  ;D
« Last Edit: September 06, 2015, 06:09:21 PM by Paul Gray »
In the places where golf cuts through pretension and elitism, it thrives and will continue to thrive because the simple virtues of the game and its attendant culture are allowed to be most apparent. - Tim Gavrich

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #27 on: September 04, 2015, 08:54:57 PM »
Knowing who designed a course does have an effect on my "planned" strategy going in.

I know that an old school course like a Colt or Simpson will be best played if I can keep the ball between myself and the hole. Carry is not as important on an old school course... hitting the ball on a line to the hole IS important!

On modern course like a Fazio or Nicklaus (especially a Nicklaus), being able to carry the ball the proper distance is very important. These courses require more of an air game and I know that I will be behind the eight ball before I get started because that is not my forte.

I guess I like the "new" old school archies like C&C, DeVries, Doak, etc so much because they don't depend on carry so much to make their courses interesting... like the ODGs.

So, yes... knowing who designed a course definitely has an influence on how I plan to play the course.
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #28 on: September 04, 2015, 09:14:43 PM »
As an architect we like has said, his (modern) designs don't play like golden age courses did for the average golfer back in the actual golden age, but instead play like those same golden age courses do for today's average golfer using today's latest equipment. So, if I know that he knows, and he knows that we know, then I think we'd be wise to understand what he knows that we know before playing one of his courses.
Peter

Sean_A

« Reply #29 on: September 08, 2015, 06:22:08 PM »
No.  I have only played a few rounds with a determined game plan and it wasn't much fun.  Besides, isn't everybody's plan to hit fairways and greens?  The plan really comes down to how much one is willing to risk in not hitting fairways and greens.  In that regard I am an equal opportunity golfer.  I take risks, foolish, silly...stupid risks...regardless of the archie.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Fraserburgh, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back