News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jim_Kennedy

Buxton & High Peak GC
« on: November 21, 2014, 08:06:45 PM »
Here's a fine Tour* of Dr. Mac's Cavendish GC written by Sean Arble - the photos alone make me wish I was standing on the first tee with a small bag and a handful of clubs.

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,41162.0.html  

Another course in the same 'hood is the Buxton & High Peak GC. I have no idea if it's on a par with its neighbor, but a few of its hole concepts are still relevant today. Below are a few photos from 1899, a few years after the club was opened.  

The middle photo was labeled "The Cliff", the bottom photo was labeled "The Quarry".

Do any of these holes remain today? There doesn't seem to be any cliffs or a quarries showing up on a modern aerial. Did the club change locations?

*same from Tommy Williamsoon and James Boon:

http://golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,34493.0/
http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,49726.0.html

« Last Edit: November 21, 2014, 08:26:41 PM by Jim_Kennedy »
"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

Duncan Cheslett

Re: Buxton & High Peak GC
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2014, 01:30:44 AM »
Buxton and High Peak is probably the higher profile course in Buxton, straddling as it does  the A6 trunk road into the town from Manchester, whereas Cavendish is rather hidden away. I also get the impression that the club is perhaps in a little better financial health than its neighbour.

As for the course, I am ashamed to say I have never played it, despite living twenty minutes away. People whose opinions I value say that it is OK but nothing special. Certainly what I've seen from the road illustrated by these shots from Streetview doesn't particularly whet my appetite. I strikes me as a rather dull flat parkland course with very bad weather!

« Last Edit: November 22, 2014, 02:17:06 AM by Duncan Cheslett »

James Boon

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2014, 04:47:46 AM »
Jim,

Buxton and High Peak is a course I've played a handful of times, though probably not for 6 or 7 years now, but from memory:

As Duncan says it has the higher profile as golfers and none golfers alike will have driven through the course on the A6 road. At times it does feel like mediocre parkland but there are holes of interest.

The 3rd is a uphill par 3 with an interesting green, though I remember it as being mainly blind. I recall somewhere reading that when MacKenzie was at Cavendish he came over and did some work at B&HP and this hole is all that remains? I'm sure some of our MacKenzie experts will put me right on that?

Then the next 3 holes are rather good fun! A Long par 4 where the drive lays up short of an old quarry, then a short par 4 and a mid / long par 3 that both play over some beautiful crumpled land, very reminiscent of links but probably related to old quarry workings or spoil?

After that there is a nice drop shot par 3 at the 8th where you tee off next to the road, and then later a couple of par 4s where you do indeed play over old quarry workings as in the historic photo.

Though not too clear in the photos I suspect the routing has changed at some point in its history. I dont recognise the Alps hole? Not sure which the Cliff is? But the Quarry appears to be taken from about what is currently the 11th upper fairway, looking back towards town.

I would struggle to make myself play here instead of Cavendish, but Duncan, you should give it a go living so close! Perhaps one summer we should meet up for a 36 hole Buxton day at Cavendish and B&HP?

Cheers,

James
2023 Highlights: Hollinwell (Notts), Brora, Aberdovey, Royal St Davids, Woodhall Spa, Broadstone, Parkstone, Cleeve, Painswick, Minchinhampton, Hoylake

"It celebrates the unadulterated pleasure of being in a dialogue with nature while knocking a ball round on foot." Richard Pennell

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2014, 10:55:07 AM »
Duncan,
Your upper street view looks like the Alps in the old photo.

James,
It may not be on a par with Cavendish, but it sounds like it has some interest and worth a look.

A nice combo of courses, with the bonus of having the Peak Practice Golf center close at hand.

"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back