News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

RSantangelo

Hickory - a reintroduction to strategic architecture
« on: December 05, 2015, 09:30:33 PM »
So I had the pleasure to my my first hickory golf today -- great stuff.

One thought I wanted to share with the GCA group was how the hickory game brought alive for me strategic elements of architecture. Positions that would enable scoring with length, height and spin control were bad spots with hickory equipment and balls.  Approaches were in play. 

Really enjoyable to experience my holes I have played so many times from a completely different and more nuanced perspective.

Welcome comments from others who have a perspective to share

Best

David_Madison

Re: Hickory - a reintroduction to strategic architecture
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2015, 10:12:26 PM »
Absolutely dead on. Hickories when played on the right courses in the right conditions bring those courses to life. From a studying of the architecture perspective, you see so much more of the course than you do playing aerial powerball with modern clubs. You have to read so much more of the course than you do with modern equipment. You have to play smarter, allow more room for the comparative random nature of the shotmaking, and be more creative in your shot planning. And when you do pull off a shot as you planned, it's so much sweeter. Hickory birdies are rare, but so much more satisfying because you've really accomplished something.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2015, 10:18:20 PM »
I played hickories when I was young, now I just play like I'm playing hickories.

Matthew Mollica

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2015, 10:35:51 PM »
Surveying a green, looking for upslopes to land into, and the sides of knolls and valleys to curve a ground ball towards a flag. Realising why some bunkers are where they are (on a pre-1930 course). All great fun and so much more important with a slow spin ball and hickory iron in hand.
"The truth about golf courses has a slightly different expression for every golfer. Which of them, one might ask, is without the most definitive convictions concerning the merits or deficiencies of the links he plays over? Freedom of criticism is one of the last privileges he is likely to forgo."

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2015, 10:57:29 PM »
Surveying a green, looking for upslopes to land into, and the sides of knolls and valleys to curve a ground ball towards a flag. Realising why some bunkers are where they are (on a pre-1930 course). All great fun and so much more important with a slow spin ball and hickory iron in hand.

If you are not doing that already you don't understand how to play the game. Or the people in charge of preparing your course don't. Something is wrong.

Thomas Dai

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2015, 06:45:12 AM »
So I had the pleasure to my my first hickory golf today -- great stuff.
One thought I wanted to share with the GCA group was how the hickory game brought alive for me strategic elements of architecture. Positions that would enable scoring with length, height and spin control were bad spots with hickory equipment and balls.  Approaches were in play. 
Really enjoyable to experience my holes I have played so many times from a completely different and more nuanced perspective.
Welcome comments from others who have a perspective to share
Best

RS,

Glad you enjoyed your introduction to playing hickories. Your comments coincide with mine when I first started playing them.

There are a few GCAers who are hickory players - see - http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,57418.0.html

Playing with hickories is a great way to appreciate numerous aspects and intricacies of the evolution of the game, not only equipment wise but also course management, swing technique, architecture, construction, maintenance etc etc.

atb

Jay Mickle

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2015, 07:40:58 AM »
Rob,
Welcome to the world of Hickory golf. Glad that you enjoyed your first outing with your new sticks. When playing with the hickories overtime my mindset begins to change from one that looks for ground approaches rather than ariel approaches expanding stratigic options and increasingthe fun quotient.
@MickleStix on Instagram
MickleStix.com

A.G._Crockett

« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2015, 09:26:38 AM »
I played hickories when I was young, now I just play like I'm playing hickories.

That's correct; for those who wish to fully interact with the GCA and not invest in hickories, just keep playing until you get old.  When you can no longer hit it out of your shadow, think to yourself, "So THIS is what it was like..."
"Golf...is usually played with the outward appearance of great dignity.  It is, nevertheless, a game of considerable passion, either of the explosive type, or that which burns inwardly and sears the soul."      Bobby Jones

Kyle Harris

« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2015, 10:41:33 AM »
I am reasonably certain that a person who grew into the game with hickories would say the same things about trying today's equipment.

Novelty does not imply quality.
http://kylewharris.com

Constantly blamed by 8-handicaps for their 7 missed 12-footers each round.

Thank you for changing the font of your posts. It makes them easier to scroll past.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2015, 10:45:09 AM »
I got turned off from the whole scene when my caddie at Pinehurst, in between giving me yardages from his golf watch, couldn't shut up about his 270 yd drives with with his replica hickories. 100 years ago I would have taken a hickory switch to him.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2015, 11:34:44 AM »

Exactly.  There are lots of older gents [and nearly all women] who interface with the architecture even with present-day equipment.  That's why I keep building holes that have strategy, in spite of the young guys who insist it doesn't matter.

RSantangelo

« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2015, 12:47:24 PM »

Exactly.  There are lots of older gents [and nearly all women] who interface with the architecture even with present-day equipment.  That's why I keep building holes that have strategy, in spite of the young guys who insist it doesn't matter.

As a guy who with modern equipment has managed to more or less keep my distance, both comments above are very enlightening

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back