News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jim McCann

I was alerted yesterday to the item that follows from the www.fifetoday.co.uk website.

I wonder if Martin Bonnar or anybody else with contacts in the Kingdom of Fife could shed further light on the subject matter?

Published on 27/06/2013 08:30

RESIDENTS remain unconvinced about a £10 million new golf course proposal for east of Largo and are demanding to know who exactly is behind it.

At a recent meeting of Largo Area Community Council, lead planning consultant Robin Matthews said he could not divulge any identities other than to say it was not Donald Trump, although they did have experience of developing other golf courses.

However, a press release issued on behalf of the developers named local golf writer Malcolm Campbell as one of the people behind the plan for Dumbarnie Links and the designer as former Ryder Cup and European Tour player Clive Clark.

The proposal for the 132-hectare project site, which is owned by Lord Balniel, of Balcarres Estate, is for an 18-hole links course run on a pay-per-play basis – estimated at £100 a round – with clubhouse, restaurant, pro shop and changing rooms, and would be expected to attract up to 23,500 visitors a year within five years. The developers predict it could generate £2 million per year for the local economy, creating up to 30 permanent jobs.

Mr Campbell said it was an exciting opportunity for Fife to build on its status as a world-class destination for golfers looking to enjoy traditional links golf.

Local people have expressed fears the plans could wreak havoc with a sensitive area of the East Neuk but Mr Campbell said everyone involved was committed to minimising the impact on environmentally sensitive areas in the vicinity of the site. The press release also stated there would no requirement for housing to support the development. Before submitting a planning application in the autumn, the developers plan to carry out consultation with the local community, including public exhibitions and briefings.

Adam Lawrence

Yes - this has been bubbling under for a few months, and I learned some time back that Malcolm was involved. As per this story, there is as yet no clear indication where the funding might be coming from, and it is some way from a full scale planning application.

I don't think the Dumbarnie Links itself is big enough for 18 holes, even if permission were granted - the site also includes farmland immediately inland from the links (and adjacent to a caravan park, so that at least screams authentic Scottish links!)
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Ally Mcintosh

Didn't know about this but did a google earth and can see a narrow strip that looks like the proposed site.

Although the budget mentioned isn't extortionate, it would have been nice to see a links development proposed at less than half that figure for course & infrastructure with a green fee set more in the £50 - £60 bracket.

Everyone's head still seems to be in the wrong place.

Rich Goodale

Yes, this is old news.  The land that is being promoted was (many ages ago) thought to be potentially a future Open course, but as with most promotions (and most pigs) this never flew.  Good luck to whomever the money people who might be promoting the promoters.....
Life is good.

Any afterlife is unlikely and/or dodgy.

Jean-Paul Parodi

Malcolm Mckinnon

Jim,

This does not relate to your post at all.

However, the talk of  Largo and Fife inspire me to inform you that my wife, Elizabeth Blair, is a direct descendant of a James Durham of Largo who served as Captain of the R and A in 1780 and who's portrait hangs in the clubhouse at St. Andrews. She is not a golfer. We live in Princeton, New Jersey, USA.

My daughter embarks to Edinburgh on 3, August to study veterinary medicine at the University of Edinburgh.

Scotland, and especially Fife and the Lothians are very much on my mind.

Marty Bonnar

Jim,
Been floating around for a while now. Lovely property, adjacent to a slightly sensitive wildlife site (aren't they all!?). On my coastal path again too!
Here's some docs from the initial planning consultation:

http://planning.fife.gov.uk/online/applicationDetails.do?activeTab=documents&keyVal=MK2GKGHF01A00

Cheers,
M.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Jim McCann

Marty,

Thanks for the info.

I see from the map link that the site is on the other side of the big hill at the western extremity of the course at Elie.

Nice location.

Marty Bonnar

Rich Goodale

Deja vu all over again!
Life is good.

Any afterlife is unlikely and/or dodgy.

Jean-Paul Parodi

Marty Bonnar

Deja vu all over again!

Possibly the first ever recorded case of deja, presque AND jamais vu all at the same time?!?!?!!!! ;D

Best,
F.

Clyde Johnson

I took a walk out there last autumn...some nice links terrain, probably not the sort to satisfy the photogenic-hungry contemporary golfing world, but the right sort for links golf of substance...in the correct hands, and if ever, of course!!!

Marty Bonnar

Absolutely, Clyde.
I got to wander around there a few times when I was the Team leader for the Coastal Path maintenance guys. Could be very cool.
Cheers,
F.

Mark Pearce

I took a walk out there last autumn...some nice links terrain, probably not the sort to satisfy the photogenic-hungry contemporary golfing world, but the right sort for links golf of substance...in the correct hands, and if ever, of course!!!
That photogenic-hungry golfing world is well represented here.  The number of comments you still see from people who should know better raving about extreme sites with compromised golf but knocking almost perfect sites for being "flat" still astonishes me  That's part of the problem with the tendency to hit and run, playing courses just once in whirlwind tours involving more driving than playing, I suppose.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Ken Moum

That photogenic-hungry golfing world is well represented here.  The number of comments you still see from people who should know better raving about extreme sites with compromised golf but knocking almost perfect sites for being "flat" still astonishes me  That's part of the problem with the tendency to hit and run, playing courses just once in whirlwind tours involving more driving than playing, I suppose.

Of course....

That's why I said what I did about Coul Links after I looked at it. It's going to make a hell of golf course, but it doesn't look like one now.

Compared to the linksland between Irvine Beach Park and the Gailes Links and Western Gailes looks like all it needs to play golf is a bunch of sheep and

A lot of my favorite links courses are, in fact, fairly flat. Undulating, but not a lot of elevation change overall.

All of the St. Andrews Link courses, Dunbar, N. Berwick, Lufness New, Kilspindie, Golspie, Tain, Nairn Dunbar etc., all have you up and over dunes, but not too many trudges up long hills.

And in a most cases, IMHO, the fact that the terrain allows you to see most of the golf course, and other players adds to the collegial feel I like about links golf.

And sinde the lawnmower wasn't invented until the 1800s, it's not surprise that really old courses look like they do.

When I was there in 2013, the Secretary at Cullen claimed there is a record in one of the local church books about some boys who were punished missing church to play on the links in the mid 1300s. And the original Tom Morris 9 was built on pretty flat land.
Over time, the guy in the ideal position derives an advantage, and delivering him further  advantage is not worth making the rest of the players suffer at the expense of fun, variety, and ultimately cost -- Jeff Warne, 12-08-2010

Niall C

I remember a number of years ago looking at the spit of land that the caravan park sits on and thinking it could make a nice 9 holer but I don't think there's enough there for 18. Not unless you cranked up the chainsaw.

Niall

Marty Bonnar

Tony_Muldoon

Architect's prior courses. Anyone played one?

http://www.cliveclarkdesign.com/courses.php

Curious why I had never heard of the one 15 miles away?

http://northwealdpar3golfessex.co.uk/gallery/
Let's make GCA grate again!

Mark Pearce

Architect's prior courses. Anyone played one?

http://www.cliveclarkdesign.com/courses.php

Curious why I had never heard of the one 15 miles away?

http://northwealdpar3golfessex.co.uk/gallery/
For a while, many years ago, my wife and I, Giles and Conrad were members of the Manor House (then the Manor House at Castle Combe).  THe country membership was dirt cheap as this club was one that had been bought out of insolvency.  [size=78%]Clark used to work with Peter Alliss.  Not sure which Woburn course he designed.  Whilst I sort of enjoyed the Manor House back then it's fair to say that it represented an awful lot of things we hate.  For a start, even in my late 20s, when I was fit enough to play hockey for the county, it was a course I wouldn't play without a cart.  Fans of containment mounding, long (and I mean long) green to tee walks (mostly uphill) and lots of drop shots would like it a lot.  I am not encouraged.[/size]
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Ally Mcintosh

Is Paul Kimber attached with this course as well? That would give me confidence.

Or am I thinking of somewhere else?

Adam Lawrence

The course has been approved -- Fife Council voted in favour of it yesterday.

We hope to have a story on the GCA.net site tomorrow, or if not Monday  :)
Adam Lawrence

Adam Lawrence

Adam Lawrence

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back