News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Christian Newton

Ben Crenshaw: "Architecture... buff?"
« on: April 07, 2018, 02:23:08 PM »
This morning I watched Ben Crenshaw's Masters pin-placement segment on GC. During the introduction, I was surprised to hear Ben described himself, somewhat hesitantly, as an "architecture buff."

Just a buff!?

Maybe I don't understand his partnership with Bill Coore. But I'm surprised he hesitates to call himself an architect, even with some kind of a caveat or modifier. Could the group illuminate why he might have avoided the title? Do you agree with his assessment? Or perhaps world-class pros never take on the title, no matter how many courses they have to their credit?

Cheers,
Christian

Jeff Schley

Re: Ben Crenshaw: "Architecture... buff?"
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2018, 02:33:13 PM »
I saw that as well.  I was thinking, a gentlemen's humbleness.  He easily is one of the top living architects IMO, in addition to being a 2x Master's champ, yet he is saying he is an "architecture buff". 
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2018, 02:45:55 PM »
What Jeff says -- but also, I thought that maybe he was subtly making a subtle distinction, ie between the 'design practitioner' and the 'architecure buff'; between the 'professional' (with all that entails) and the 'amateur' (with the focus on 'for the love of'). There are many design professionals working today; there are many architecture buffs on here, sketching their own golf holes. There are few who try to combine/blend the two, fewer still who do it succesfully.

« Last Edit: April 07, 2018, 02:47:38 PM by Peter Pallotta »

David_Tepper

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2018, 03:07:09 PM »
In addition to BC's natural modesty, I think it is also an acknowledgement on his part that Bill Coore is the "real" GCA in their partnership.

That is not meant to diminish BC's knowledge of & passion for golf course design in any way. (And it is strictly speculation on my part :) ). 
« Last Edit: April 07, 2018, 04:05:17 PM by David_Tepper »

Jim Nugent

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2018, 03:10:38 PM »
My impression is that Coore does the (big) lion's share of design work for C&C. 

mike_beene

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2018, 04:03:53 PM »
Just based on what they have done at my club, they both spend hours at a time on site but at separate times. As an example, I saw Crenshaw spend a good 4 hours standing on the 18th tee just watching and thinking. Coore would do something and say we will see what Ben thinks. They would put bunkers in and out and Coore might originally shape a green but my impression is he won't finish it until Ben agrees. To me it looks like a true partnership and no one is the dominant opinion.

Mike Nuzzo

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2018, 10:17:57 PM »
I interpret that short clip as he is a fan of architecture - separate from his professional work.
As a musician can be a fan of music.
It was also his love of architecture that brought him to the design profession, maybe even golf - or at least a greater appreciation of golf.
Cheers
Thinking of Bob, Rihc, Bill, George, Neil & Tiger.

Greg Hohman

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2018, 10:03:20 AM »
Mike, thanks for "I saw Crenshaw spend a good 4 hours standing on the 18th tee just watching and thinking."
newmonumentsgc.com

George Pazin

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2018, 10:39:48 AM »
One of the silliest notions of our current times is the endless questioning of simple words. Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

archie_struthers

« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2018, 11:27:46 AM »
 8) ;)

He was a "buff" grass enthusiast!

Seriously I was fortunate enough to caddy many times for Crenshaw at Pine Valley . One of my favorite guys/ loops ever.  Humble for sure , generous and fun !

He is that nice , always learning and questioning about golf . Quite an imagination as a shot make and perhaps the best putter who ever lived . Was a historian while very young but appreciated my opinion even in my role as employee.   Quite the fellow!

I would love to hear his thoughts on changing the angle on 13,

Certainly can't speak for Bill Coore but Ben definitely doesn't mail it in hen it comes to input .

« Last Edit: April 08, 2018, 11:30:45 AM by archie_struthers »

Steve Lang

« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2018, 02:10:52 PM »
 8)  Used to be a "buff" was simply well read, understood things, but didn't necessarily put that knowledge into practice.  I'm glad that BC didn't simply stay in the library after playing!

Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back