News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Adrian_Stiff

Anything else any good around Silloth?
« on: December 05, 2014, 11:30:29 AM »
Just wondering for a 2 night 3 round break what could be combined with Silloth. What is Maryport like? Reason I ask this is there is a hotel for sale and it might work okay with our golf breaks.
A combination of whats good for golf and good for turf.
The Players Club, Cumberwell Park, The Kendleshire, Oake Manor, Dainton Park, Forest Hills, Erlestoke, St Cleres.
www.theplayersgolfclub.com

Adam Lawrence

Re: Anything else any good around Silloth?
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2014, 11:32:51 AM »
Boat trip across the firth to Southerness? :)
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Mark Pearce

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2014, 12:33:28 PM »
We thought about the boat trip for BUDA but, sadly, no-one seemed interested in accomodating us.  I don't know Maryport.  Sean A is a fan of Seascale which is about an hour away.  I gather Carlisle is decent and I realley enjoyed Brampton, though it is quirky and has as many odd holes as good ones.  Sadly, though, the bottom line is that Silloth is a diamond in a desert.  Why not just play 3 rounds at Silloth?  We played there for 3 days for BUDA and I didn't hear complaints.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Adrian_Stiff

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2014, 12:52:54 PM »
Mark - Majority of our customers want to tick off 3 courses. If Maryport is ok it can work, as I can deal with a course on the way too or back from and make a 3 course/2 night stay work. Another course 60 minutes away is a no no. Will check out Brampton though, cheers.
A combination of whats good for golf and good for turf.
The Players Club, Cumberwell Park, The Kendleshire, Oake Manor, Dainton Park, Forest Hills, Erlestoke, St Cleres.
www.theplayersgolfclub.com

Mark Pearce

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2014, 01:05:49 PM »
Adrian,

Understood.  Even Carlisle and Brampton may be too much of a drive, I suspect, probably 45 minutes at least.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2014, 01:22:45 PM »
Mark has listed the favourites. You could add Windermere - rough and tumble, not nearly so as Painswick. Penrith is worth a shout, too.

Sean_A

Re: Anything else any good around Silloth? New
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2014, 01:40:47 PM »
Adrian

I like Seascale and would want to go back if I was around Silloth for a few days, but in truth I couldn't recommend the course.  I am not sure you would like it. As part of packages for punters though I think it works well because it is reasonably priced an there are several good holes, including a few crackers.  

Ciao
« Last Edit: December 06, 2014, 02:53:15 PM by Sean_A »
New plays planned for 2024: Dunfanaghy, Fraserburgh, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Martin Toal

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2014, 02:26:45 PM »
Seascale and Maryport are nearest, beyond that, Brampton, Carlisle, Penrith and round the corner to Southerness. Windermere is a bit of a drive but is known, with no piss taking, as a mini Gleneagles of Cumbria. In a good way.

Paul_Turner

« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2014, 02:58:28 PM »
I can't think of anything really close but would second Windermere if you want a stop on the way up.  Also Ulverston is pretty good too.
can't get to heaven with a three chord song

Jonathan Davison

« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2014, 06:03:14 AM »
Workington and Cockermouth are two James Braid courses which are close by. I played Maryport a number of years ago, it was a better 9 hole course than an 18. Wouldn't recommend it to be honest.

Thomas Dai

« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2014, 07:48:31 AM »
Played Carlisle, parkland, a few times many moons ago. Always seemed fine, maybe a Doak-4?

There is a links course at Furness GC on Walney Island at Barrow - the 6th oldest club in England they say, but it's stretching the distance from Silloth a bit far - http://www.furnessgolfclub.co.uk/ - not played Furness myself but have walked across it, murderously windy, more than just hat blowin' off strength.

atb

PS - on the other side of the Solway, and quite a bit further west, there's a links course at Wigtonshire County that a mate described as worth playing although a bit rustic - anyone herein played it? -http://www.wigtownshirecountygolfclub.com/ - here's it's location on a Bing satmap - http://binged.it/1FXVkwK - BTW, check out the dune complex a mile or so to the west - wow! - distinct golfing potential there - alas it's an MoD area I believe

Ed Tilley

« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2014, 08:24:26 AM »
My 3 course, 2 round trip to Silloth, involved playing at Windermere on the way up, a day at Silloth, then Formby on the way down. We stayed one night at Ambleside and one night in Silloth. We could have stayed both nights at Silloth but Ambleside is much nicer. Just over an hour from Windermere to Silloth but it is a beautiful drive. Windermere is really fun and Formby is just class.

Looking at the courses around Silloth I think the round on the way up and on the way down is the best option.

Ben Lovett

« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2014, 10:25:25 AM »
We stayed at Eskdale golf club, slightly off kilter!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back