News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Josh Stevens

Re: Turnberry 9-11
« Reply #25 on: November 05, 2014, 06:03:21 PM »
Wonder how long some of these ideas have been kicking around.  I can recall the notion of turning 9 into a par 3 being out there 20 or 30 years ago. 

Paul Gray

« Reply #26 on: November 05, 2014, 06:39:18 PM »
It is always disappointing when people seem to equate spectacular setting to good GCA. The two have nothing to do with each other. I do not care if the holes are more spectacular only that they are an improvement and as 9-11 are three of the best holes there I am not holding my breath.

Jon

As ever, very sensible comments.
In the places where golf cuts through pretension and elitism, it thrives and will continue to thrive because the simple virtues of the game and its attendant culture are allowed to be most apparent. - Tim Gavrich

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #27 on: November 06, 2014, 02:55:19 PM »
"If Mr Trump brings in the bulldozers to redesign the iconic but overated par - 9th, none of your authors will shed a tear."
The Confidential Guide.

I really liked the 9th!

However unless I'm missing something: turn the 9th into a par 3 ,reduce the total to 69 and take about 250- 300 yards off the overall yardage?
Unlikely to end up like that.

But then Pepper says about half the holes are to be changed, so what else?
« Last Edit: November 06, 2014, 02:58:38 PM by Tony_Muldoon »
Let's make GCA grate again!

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #28 on: November 06, 2014, 03:49:55 PM »
The tee shot at 9 in the final round of The Open is one of the key shots a player needs to make and from the back tee it is a real nerve jangler. Overrated it is not.

Jon

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back