GolfClubAtlas.com > Golf Course Architecture

Breaking Down the Bendelow List

<< < (43/44) > >>

Sven Nilsen:
During Bendelow's 1912 visit to California he paid visits to a number of cities either to encourage the construction of a course or actually lay one out.  At Porterville he seems to have raised an initial enthusiasm for the construction of a course.  The Bendelow course was never built, but a number of years later Willie Locke would design the Monache CC in that city.

Jan. 27, 1912 Visalia Times-Delta -

Sven Nilsen:
During Harry Vardon's 1900 tour of the US, he and Bendelow stopped in New Haven, CT to look into the expansion of the two courses in town.  Both courses were subsequently expanded to 18 holes.

April 10, 1900 New Haven Morning Journal-Courier -

MCirba:

--- Quote from: Sven Nilsen on November 21, 2020, 11:24:32 AM ---
--- Quote from: MCirba on November 20, 2020, 12:23:59 PM ---Sven,

Did you receive what I sent you on Onondaga/Lyndon?  Thanks.

--- End quote ---

Mike,

Received and appreciated.

Mike was kind enough to forward this Oct. 26, 1907 article from a Syracuse newspaper which notes Bendelow's involvement with Onondaga.  The 9 holes he laid out are now part of the public Lyndon Golf Course.

--- End quote ---

Sven,

Terrific, thanks

It also appears from the article that the club also utilized him to make suggestions to improve their original nine holes, two of which still exist today even after the Walter Teavis re-do in 1919.

Interestingly, both the original Onondaga nine and the additional nine referenced in the article have previously been erroneously credited to David Campbell, but he was only primarily responsible for construction and agronomic considerations. 

Drew Harvie:

--- Quote from: Drew Harvie on November 20, 2020, 11:31:14 AM ---
--- Quote from: Sven Nilsen on October 20, 2018, 10:42:50 AM ---A quick post to focus on some of Bendelow's work in Canada in 1913, including some insight into his promotion of public golf.

Here's a list of the courses noted in the articles:

Medicine Hat
Lethbridge
Calgary G&CC
Calgary Municipal GC - don't know if this idea was ever pursued
A course in British Columbia

April 15, 1913 The Times -

The course in BC referenced in the article above was most likely Vernon Golf & Country Club.  VGCC was founded in 1913, moving to its current site in 1922.

April 18, 1913 Vancouver Sun -

--- End quote ---

Sven,

I'm pretty sure the Calgary municipal is Shaganappi Point. Bendelow was in Southern Alberta in 1913 and Shaganappi Point opened in 1915, so the timeline IMO makes sense. It opened with sand greens. I've attached two aerials below. They're too big to embed here.

1924, with sand greens:

1949, with grass greens:

On another Bendelow in Western Canada, I've played Vernon. I didn't know that was his. Everyone always just told me A.V. Macan. Interesting!

--- End quote ---

Sven,

In regards to the "Calgary Municipal GC," in an edition of The Canadian Golfer from 1917, they make reference to the Municipal Golf Course, which would be Shaganappi Point currently. Here's the article, attached below.

Karl Jensen:
This is a possible course for the Bendelow list. Now, I'm not referring to Bendelow's Beresford CC in San Mateo, San Mateo County, CA that is presently called the Peninsula G&CC. This golf course was the Peninsula Country Club in San Carlos, San Mateo County, CA. Judging from the two below newspaper clippings, I don't know if Bendelow ever designed it or whether it was constructed. Seems the Club's biggest claim to fame is that it purchased the Ohio Building from the San Francisco 1915 Panama-Pacific International Exposition and had it floated on a barge to the Club's new ground to be used as a clubhouse. Below also are links for further information.

Peninsula Country Club article, 19 Aug 1916 San Jose, CA Mercury News newspaper

Peninsula Country Club article, 26 Aug 1916 Sacramento, CA Bee newspaper

https://www.smdailyjournal.com/news/local/the-stately-ohio-building-met-an-inglorious-end/article_3610dd98-c93b-588f-9843-2a44a5631594.html

https://ppie100.org/on-this-day-april-7/

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version