News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

MCirba

Re: Breaking Down the Bendelow List
« Reply #200 on: January 18, 2018, 03:18:40 PM »
Not sure if this one has been posted here prior from a 1923 Orlando Sentinel article.   Newspaper writers could get very creative in misspelling of architect (and others) names.

"Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent" - Calvin Coolidge

https://cobbscreek.org/

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #201 on: October 20, 2018, 10:42:50 AM »
A quick post to focus on some of Bendelow's work in Canada in 1913, including some insight into his promotion of public golf.

Here's a list of the courses noted in the articles:

Medicine Hat
Lethbridge
Calgary G&CC
Calgary Municipal GC - don't know if this idea was ever pursued
A course in British Columbia

April 15, 1913 The Times -

The course in BC referenced in the article above was most likely Vernon Golf & Country Club.  VGCC was founded in 1913, moving to its current site in 1922.

April 18, 1913 Vancouver Sun -

« Last Edit: November 19, 2020, 09:15:21 PM by Sven Nilsen »
"As much as we have learned about the history of golf architecture in the last ten plus years, I'm convinced we have only scratched the surface."  A GCA Poster

"There's the golf hole; play it any way you please." Donald Ross

BCrosby

« Reply #202 on: October 20, 2018, 11:18:58 AM »
"The entire purpose of the thread was to try to verify as much of that list as possible, note any errors or duplications and to supplement the listing with courses that should have been included.  As you can see, there was a tremendous amount of misinformation flying around.

I have quite a few updates I haven't added in since I did this exercise back in 2014 (including most of what Phil posted, although I'd lean towards giving Bendelow consultation credit for Brackenridge, as he was pushing for a municipal course in San Antonio well prior to Tillie's involvement).  Not sure if I'm going to do it here, or just pass the info on to Stuart for an update to his listing.  I also have a forty plus page timeline in the works on Bendelow including not just design work, but all of his golf related activities. 

Unfortunately, he remains the most unheralded figure in the development of the game in this country."

Sven - I wanted to say again how remarkable this thread is. I hope you will continue your digging, but also that you will someday put together a narrative account of TB's long career. You have changed how I think of his work.

Bob

Tom Buggy

« Reply #203 on: August 25, 2020, 05:36:59 PM »
I have contacted Stuart Bendelow about the newspaper article that says Tom Bendelow laid out a course for John B. Dutcher at "Paulding" (misspelling of Pawling). He is unable to corroborate this. It appears that the single newspaper article is the only reference and Stuart will not include the Pawling course (ostensibly the Dutcher Golf Course) in his list of Tom Bendelow courses.

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #204 on: August 25, 2020, 10:46:07 PM »
Tom:

Here's the article you are questioning. 

Please tell me why we should have any doubt about this reporting.

Sven
"As much as we have learned about the history of golf architecture in the last ten plus years, I'm convinced we have only scratched the surface."  A GCA Poster

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #205 on: November 19, 2020, 12:51:16 PM »
There are a number of courses where the level of Bendelow's involvement is hard to ascertain.  As mentioned earlier in the thread, it is believed that all he did at Beverly was proclaim the site suitable for golf.  Another example of this type of visit is at Davenport CC.  I apologize for the blurriness of this article (from the Jan. 14, 1924 edition of the Davenport Democrat and Leader), but you can a make out that Bendelow viewed the site (on the Iowa shore above Pleasant Valley) for the course that was eventually built by Alison.

A few more articles on Bendelow's involvement at Davenport -

Jan. 19, 1924 The Daily Times -

Feb. 2, 1924 The Daily Times -

[size=78%][/size]

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #206 on: November 19, 2020, 09:51:02 PM »
Another addition to the list.

Coquillard GC (n/k/a Morris Park), South Bend, IN.Sept. 7, 1924 South Bend Tribune - Text enlarged -

Drew Harvie

« Reply #207 on: November 20, 2020, 11:31:14 AM »
A quick post to focus on some of Bendelow's work in Canada in 1913, including some insight into his promotion of public golf.

Medicine Hat
Lethbridge
Calgary G&CC

The course in BC referenced in the article above was most likely Vernon Golf & Country Club.  VGCC was founded in 1913, moving to its current site in 1922.

Sven,

I'm pretty sure the Calgary municipal is Shaganappi Point. Bendelow was in Southern Alberta in 1913 and Shaganappi Point opened in 1915, so the timeline IMO makes sense. It opened with sand greens. I've attached two aerials below. They're too big to embed here.

1924, with sand greens:

https://i.imgur.com/8ErmyYc.jpg

1949, with grass greens:

https://i.imgur.com/h9zoXKk.jpg

On another Bendelow in Western Canada, I've played Vernon. I didn't know that was his. Everyone always just told me A.V. Macan. Interesting!
« Last Edit: November 20, 2020, 11:33:22 AM by Drew Harvie »

MCirba

« Reply #208 on: November 20, 2020, 12:23:59 PM »
Sven,

Did you receive what I sent you on Onondaga/Lyndon?  Thanks.

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #209 on: November 21, 2020, 11:24:32 AM »
Sven,

Mike,

Received and appreciated.

Mike was kind enough to forward this Oct. 26, 1907 article from a Syracuse newspaper which notes Bendelow's involvement with Onondaga.  The 9 holes he laid out are now part of the public Lyndon Golf Course.

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #210 on: November 21, 2020, 11:55:44 AM »
During Bendelow's 1912 visit to California he paid visits to a number of cities either to encourage the construction of a course or actually lay one out.  At Porterville he seems to have raised an initial enthusiasm for the construction of a course.  The Bendelow course was never built, but a number of years later Willie Locke would design the Monache CC in that city.

Jan. 27, 1912 Visalia Times-Delta -

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #211 on: November 21, 2020, 12:05:17 PM »
During Harry Vardon's 1900 tour of the US, he and Bendelow stopped in New Haven, CT to look into the expansion of the two courses in town.  Both courses were subsequently expanded to 18 holes.

April 10, 1900 New Haven Morning Journal-Courier -

MCirba

« Reply #212 on: November 21, 2020, 12:54:53 PM »
Sven,

Mike,

Received and appreciated.

Mike was kind enough to forward this Oct. 26, 1907 article from a Syracuse newspaper which notes Bendelow's involvement with Onondaga.  The 9 holes he laid out are now part of the public Lyndon Golf Course.

Sven,

Terrific, thanks

It also appears from the article that the club also utilized him to make suggestions to improve their original nine holes, two of which still exist today even after the Walter Teavis re-do in 1919.

Interestingly, both the original Onondaga nine and the additional nine referenced in the article have previously been erroneously credited to David Campbell, but he was only primarily responsible for construction and agronomic considerations. 

Drew Harvie

« Reply #213 on: November 22, 2020, 06:34:02 PM »

Medicine Hat
Lethbridge
Calgary G&CC

Sven,

I'm pretty sure the Calgary municipal is Shaganappi Point. Bendelow was in Southern Alberta in 1913 and Shaganappi Point opened in 1915, so the timeline IMO makes sense. It opened with sand greens. I've attached two aerials below. They're too big to embed here.

1924, with sand greens:

1949, with grass greens:

On another Bendelow in Western Canada, I've played Vernon. I didn't know that was his. Everyone always just told me A.V. Macan. Interesting!

Sven,

In regards to the "Calgary Municipal GC," in an edition of The Canadian Golfer from 1917, they make reference to the Municipal Golf Course, which would be Shaganappi Point currently. Here's the article, attached below.

Karl Jensen

« Reply #214 on: July 11, 2021, 10:54:23 AM »
This is a possible course for the Bendelow list. Now, I'm not referring to Bendelow's Beresford CC in San Mateo, San Mateo County, CA that is presently called the Peninsula G&CC. This golf course was the Peninsula Country Club in San Carlos, San Mateo County, CA. Judging from the two below newspaper clippings, I don't know if Bendelow ever designed it or whether it was constructed. Seems the Club's biggest claim to fame is that it purchased the Ohio Building from the San Francisco 1915 Panama-Pacific International Exposition and had it floated on a barge to the Club's new ground to be used as a clubhouse. Below also are links for further information.

Peninsula Country Club article, 19 Aug 1916 San Jose, CA Mercury News newspaper

Peninsula Country Club article, 26 Aug 1916 Sacramento, CA Bee newspaper

https://www.smdailyjournal.com/news/local/the-stately-ohio-building-met-an-inglorious-end/article_3610dd98-c93b-588f-9843-2a44a5631594.html

https://ppie100.org/on-this-day-april-7/

Bret Lawrence

« Reply #215 on: July 15, 2021, 09:44:07 AM »
Adding an advertisement from The National Greenkeeper., October 1928.  The ad highlights the Bendelow Cultivator:

Jeff Zugelter

« Reply #216 on: August 09, 2021, 01:58:43 PM »
Sven,

I found a bit of information on Berrien Hills Country Club. I believe Tom designed the nine hole Barrien Country Club 15 years earlier and W.C. Jackson designed the new 18 hole Barrien Hills. The first article has a quote from Tom Bendelow and names W.C. Jackson. The second article attributes the architect as W.C. Jackson of Chicago who drew the plans and submitted them to the Directors.

I found this while researching W.C. Jackson who has had one of his courses, The Butler County Country Club, known as the Hamilton Elks, mistakenly attributed to Donald Ross in Hamilton, Ohio.

Regards,

Jeff

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #217 on: October 04, 2022, 10:45:13 AM »
A new one for the Bendelow list.

Interlaken GC (Fairmont, MN)

July 13, 1918 Minneapolis Journal -

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back