News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

David_Tepper

Mother Nature and St. Andrews
« on: July 19, 2015, 02:15:53 PM »
Interesting article about managing the gorse, heather and wildlife on the St. Andrews courses:

http://www.golfdigest.com/blogs/the-loop/2015/07/mother-nature-and-st-andrews-j.html

Jon Wiggett

Re: Mother Nature and St. Andrews
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2015, 03:30:56 PM »
I was pleased to see that they were letting a certain amount of weed ingression on the tees and fairways showing a commitment to sustainable maintainance.

Jon

David Lott

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2015, 03:39:10 PM »
I was pleased to see that they were letting a certain amount of weed ingression on the tees and fairways showing a commitment to sustainable maintainance.

Jon

Sustaining for over 400 years isn't enough?

Maybe they should bring back the rabbits.
David Lott

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2015, 03:44:43 PM »

Jon

Sustaining for over 400 years isn't enough?

Maybe they should bring back the rabbits.

Sustainable as in not reliant on Herbicides, etc. Not seen any rabbits at TOC lately but there were 3 hares kicking about on Tuesday.

Jon

Ryan Coles

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2015, 04:30:47 PM »

Jon

Jon

Seemed to be an awful lot of fairy rings on the greens - What is this an indicator of?

Jeff Evagues

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2015, 06:16:33 PM »
I forget which player it was but today on 15 fairway someone was in their backswing an a rabbit darted across about 20 yards ahead of him.
Be the ball

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2015, 06:38:29 PM »

Jon

Jon

Seemed to be an awful lot of fairy rings on the greens - What is this an indicator of?

Why, the presence of fairies of course, ya big eedjit! It's only a couple of weeks since midsummer's eve when the fairies would have been dancing their jigs on the links, making sacrifices to Nessie, invoking the ancient incantations to the goddess Uisge Beatha and generally having a braw wee hoolie.
Simple!
F.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Ryan Coles

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2015, 06:40:25 PM »
You mean they aren't Dawson's fault?

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2015, 06:40:53 PM »
 ;)
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Brent Hutto

« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2015, 08:48:58 PM »
I thought those rings were Po Anna, tracked in on Dustin's and Jordan's golf shoes from Chambers Bay.

I blame Mike Davis.

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2015, 05:51:53 AM »
Ryan,

are the fairy rings causing any problems? I would suggest not from a playing perspective the greens appear to be putting pretty good. So what is your problem with them??????????

Jon

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2015, 05:58:16 AM »
I didn't notice Ryan saying he had a problem, just asking what the cause was.
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2015, 06:15:40 AM »

It is an indication of a certain type of fungus but so what?

Ryan Coles

« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2015, 06:45:21 AM »
Was a genuine question rather than an aspersion.

We get type 1 on my course near where we put drain lines in and I therefore assumed they were related to moisture. With how wet it's been at St Andrews, this wouldn't appear to be the case.

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2015, 05:19:30 PM »
Ryan,

I find it very difficult to believe that you are not fully aware as to what causes 'Fairy Rings' hence your post would appear to be a leading question. That you have them on your course is not unusual as I have yet to see a course in the UK without them. In effect, they are caused by a fungi causing an increased release of nutrients in the soil leading to a darker colouration of the grass. It can lead to the ground becoming water impervious in certain cases though these are rare and I do not believe you should be overly concerned about them.

Jon

Tom Walsh

« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2015, 05:59:12 PM »
"Lighten up Francis"

It is an indication of a certain type of fungus but so what?
"vado pro vexillum!"

Ryan Coles

« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2015, 06:48:18 PM »
Ryan,

I find it very difficult to believe that you are not fully aware as to what causes 'Fairy Rings' hence your post would appear to be a leading question. That you have them on your course is not unusual as I have yet to see a course in the UK without them. In effect, they are caused by a fungi causing an increased release of nutrients in the soil leading to a darker colouration of the grass. It can lead to the ground becoming water impervious in certain cases though these are rare and I do not believe you should be overly concerned about them.

Jon

Sorry Jon.

I have my moments but this isn't one of them and I'm therefore not sure why the defensive tone.

We've tended to get them following extreme heat and dryness. I noted a lot at St Andrews and know they've had neither.

Never mind.

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2015, 03:58:54 AM »
Ryan,

Jon

Sorry Jon.

I have my moments but this isn't one of them and I'm therefore not sure why the defensive tone.

We've tended to get them following extreme heat and dryness. I noted a lot at St Andrews and know they've had neither.

Never mind.

Ryan,

suppose that is the problem with the internet no way to read the tone of a post. As fairy rings are basic 1st year stuff and info is so readily available I found it somewhat surprising you would not know about them. If I have offended you then I apologise.

Your fairy rings will always be there but are maybe more noticeable as the grass browns off in droughts but they remain greener. Like I said, I don't think they are anything to worry about.

Jon

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back