News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Steve_ Shaffer

Re: How Ted Bishop hit the skids
« Reply #25 on: October 26, 2014, 01:01:02 PM »
Why did Bishop refuse to resign as the Board probably asked?

"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Tim_Cronin

« Reply #26 on: October 26, 2014, 04:21:19 PM »

He said he did. He wanted due process. He got it.

So now, the PGA will lie about its history in its list of presidents.

Updated 12:30 a.m. CT Monday: PGA PR guru Julius Mason says Bishop's name stays on the list of past presidents. So, no lie. But he'll still be unable to schmooze as an honorary president for the next two years. Maybe he and Glen Nager can enter the USGA Four-Ball.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2014, 01:34:11 AM by Tim_Cronin »
The website: www.illinoisgolfer.net
On Twitter: @illinoisgolfer

Mike_Young

« Reply #27 on: October 26, 2014, 05:27:28 PM »
Golf associations are in trouble.  Do you think Bishop would have said those things if he had been one of the clones from one of the private clubs?  And do you think the PGA guys would have been after him if he had been from one of the prestigious clubs?  NO..he was an associations worse nightmare.  He owned the course where he worked.  Would be sort of like the union owning the auto plant.  They may not have liked him but he ciuld say what he wanted and he still had a job where most others in his position would also be fired when they got back to their club.  IMAGINE IF THIS HAD BEEN THE USGA INSTEAD.... ;D ;D ;D
"just standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona"

Tim Martin

« Reply #28 on: October 26, 2014, 05:28:05 PM »
Bishop's timing with the social media gaffe couldn't have been worse. Instead of trying to gracefully deal with the Ryder Cup fallout he goes on offense and comes off as an ill tempered bafoon. Personally I don't think the punishment fit the crime but Bishop did absolutely nothing to help himself. I sincerely wonder what value a Twitter account held for either Ted Bishop or the PGA of America with him tweeting knee jerk reactions to things such as Poulter's book. Additionally I'll bet there will be just as much negative fallout from his ouster as positive. The PGA of America is being maligned for picking him to begin with and now sacking him with a month to go and ultimately trying to act is if he never existed. What a mess.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2014, 05:29:43 PM by Tim Martin »

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #29 on: October 26, 2014, 06:00:49 PM »
One of the items that seems to fly under the radar is the president of the US PGA  calling out a European.  He had no business getting in the middle of a Poulter/Faldo disagreement. 
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Terry Lavin

« Reply #30 on: October 26, 2014, 07:49:45 PM »

I'm guessing he got all process the board thought he was due. As we say on the South Side of Chicago, seems like he was axin' for it.
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Tim_Cronin

« Reply #31 on: October 27, 2014, 01:36:01 AM »

I'm guessing he got all process the board thought he was due. As we say on the South Side of Chicago, seems like he was axin' for it.

And all without a blue-ribbon (or blue-riband, for our European friends reading this morning) PGA-annointed Task Force.

Lynn_Shackelford

« Reply #32 on: October 27, 2014, 10:11:27 AM »
One of the items that seems to fly under the radar is the president of the US PGA  calling out a European.  He had no business getting in the middle of a Poulter/Faldo disagreement. 

See today's Golf World.  http://www.golfworldmonday.com/golfworldmonday/20141027?sub_id=lxkxxo6PPIlx#pg17

Bishop was attending a clinic with Faldo and then later dining with him.
It must be kept in mind that the elusive charm of the game suffers as soon as any successful method of standardization is allowed to creep in.  A golf course should never pretend to be, nor is intended to be, an infallible tribunal.
               Tom Simpson

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #33 on: October 27, 2014, 11:04:27 AM »
That may be, however, he didn't need to become involved on social media.  Call Poulter, email him, or write him a letter, don't call him out on social media. It is beneath the dignity of his office.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

jeffwarne

« Reply #34 on: October 27, 2014, 11:57:41 AM »
That may be, however, he didn't need to become involved on social media.  Call Poulter, email him, or write him a letter, don't call him out on social media. It is beneath the dignity of his office.

Stupid move on his part.
The PGA needs to shrink and focus on the needs of their members.

That said , is there anyone that would've had a problem with him simply being suspended for the duration of his term?

"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Terry Lavin

« Reply #35 on: October 27, 2014, 12:01:45 PM »

Stupid move on his part.
The PGA needs to shrink and focus on the needs of their members.

That said , is there anyone that would've had a problem with him simply being suspended for the duration of his term?

Your last suggestion is quite astute and for me, it is telling that they wouldn't let him serve out the rest of his term while attempting to find his mute button.  The Board's unwillingness to do this suggests that they have had other issues with this guy and that they've had their fill.  The unfortunate aspect of which is that people will latch onto the sexist angle when it was more of a cumulative effect termination.
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Brad Klein

« Reply #36 on: October 27, 2014, 12:24:17 PM »
As usual, Terry Lavin nails it with his last comment -- which is what I was getting at indirectly in mine.

Jonathan Mallard

« Reply #37 on: October 27, 2014, 12:56:39 PM »

George Pazin

« Reply #38 on: October 27, 2014, 01:46:27 PM »
Elites pointin' fingers at elites. That's dog bites man.

Real insight, well, you'll have to go elsewhere for that.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Greg Tallman

« Reply #39 on: October 27, 2014, 02:00:02 PM »
As usual, Terry Lavin nails it with his last comment -- which is what I was getting at indirectly in mine.

Seems incredibly obvious that there was more to the story than a couple of silly comments on twitter and facebook. That said some of the commentary, particularly in Global Golf Post, was a bit heavy handed.

Would a quality journalist use the term "blowhard" unless quoting someone? Seems ironic... at best. 

Tim_Cronin

« Reply #40 on: October 27, 2014, 03:28:04 PM »

Seems incredibly obvious that there was more to the story than a couple of silly comments on twitter and facebook. That said some of the commentary, particularly in Global Golf Post, was a bit heavy handed.

Would a quality journalist use the term "blowhard" unless quoting someone? Seems ironic... at best. 

If the PGA decided to hang the guy for more than his comments, they should at least have explained why in toto. Still waiting on that, though not holding my breath.

Rick Shefchik

« Reply #41 on: October 27, 2014, 05:07:19 PM »
Another take on the incident and it's aftermath.

http://www.golfdigest.com/golfworld/2014-10/gw-ted-bishop-dismissal-aftermath-jaime-diaz

Seems that the PGA does not really want a president. They want a figurehead who says what he's told to say.
"Golf is 20 percent mechanics and technique. The other 80 percent is philosophy, humor, tragedy, romance, melodrama, companionship, camaraderie, cussedness and conversation." - Grantland Rice

Matt Frey, PGA

« Reply #42 on: October 27, 2014, 06:08:08 PM »
One thing to consider about why the board removed Ted Bishop as president, other than the offending posts themselves, are the PGA's new relationships with the LPGA and KPMG for the Women's PGA Championship.

As a PGA member myself, I personally feel that this championship, that now falls underneath the PGA's umbrella, is the most exciting development to come out of the Association in recent years and would hate to see it tarnished by something as trivial as a tweet, especially before the inaugural event even takes place.

jeffwarne

« Reply #43 on: October 27, 2014, 06:24:52 PM »
Can anyone name the President of the PGA prior to Bishop?

Here's hoping no one remembers Derek Sprague's name except the association's members.

What a saga this entire month has been
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Mike_Young

« Reply #44 on: October 27, 2014, 06:27:41 PM »
If the PGA was gone tomorrow, would golf miss it.  The same professionals would operate as they always have except without a union.  I think it is in about 6000 of the 16000 clubs in the USA today.  I don't know Bishop or much about him except that he signs the front of the checks at his club.  Check into the benefits an ex prez of the PGA receives.  I think he gets a car for life and a few other pretty good bennies...  Bishop will be fine but I would wager there will be no more PGA affiliated golf professionals at his club.  

Matt Frey, PGA

« Reply #45 on: October 27, 2014, 06:36:18 PM »
If the PGA was gone tomorrow, would golf miss it.  The same professionals would operate as they always have except without a union.  I think it is in about 6000 of the 16000 clubs in the USA today.  I don't know Bishop or much about him except that he signs the front of the checks at his club.  Check into the benefits an ex prez of the PGA receives.  I think he gets a car for life and a few other pretty good bennies...  Bishop will be fine but I would wager there will be no more PGA affiliated golf professionals at his club.  

I may be biased, but I believe that if the PGA vanished tomorrow, golf in the U.S. would miss it. Would it be the end of the sport? No, but think of all of the support the PGA provides to its members through Section funding and national PSAs each year. Sure, pros would always have their own versions of Get Golf Ready and the like, but it's be doubtful that the impact would be as great without the PGA.

As for past presidents, they do not receive a car for life. Each officer (secretary, vice president, president and honorary president) do receive multiple two-year lease for their length of their service (eight years), but it ceases after that. The thing that Ted will miss the most as a functional past president (other than paid trips to Ryder Cups, PGA Champs and PGA Merchandise Shows) is the influence. He will no longer be able to represent the PGA in an official capacity in any forum, nor will be eligible to vote at future annual meetings, which can wield a lot of power.

Furthermore, while Ted is proud, I don't foresee him hiring only non-PGA Professionals at The Legends from now on, but that's just my two cents.

Mike_Young

« Reply #46 on: October 27, 2014, 06:49:57 PM »

I may be biased, but I believe that if the PGA vanished tomorrow, golf in the U.S. would miss it. Would it be the end of the sport? No, but think of all of the support the PGA provides to its members through Section funding and national PSAs each year. Sure, pros would always have their own versions of Get Golf Ready and the like, but it's be doubtful that the impact would be as great without the PGA.

As for past presidents, they do not receive a car for life. Each officer (secretary, vice president, president and honorary president) do receive multiple two-year lease for their length of their service (eight years), but it ceases after that. The thing that Ted will miss the most as a functional past president (other than paid trips to Ryder Cups, PGA Champs and PGA Merchandise Shows) is the influence. He will no longer be able to represent the PGA in an official capacity in any forum, nor will be eligible to vote at future annual meetings, which can wield a lot of power.

Furthermore, while Ted is proud, I don't foresee him hiring only non-PGA Professionals at The Legends from now on, but that's just my two cents.

Matt,
With due respect I don't see it that way.  I would hire the right golf professional and if he happened to be a PGA member then that would be his thing.  I have a very good friend who ran for Secretary last year and was elected PGA golf professional of the year this year.  I'm not against the members of the PGA.  I don't like what the PGA has become.  It lost it's way a few years back.  ( my understanding was they did recieve a leased car after their term had expired also.  Anyway, more and more people are hiring the right guy first and worrying if he is a PGA pro later.  It is nothing but a union and really offers nothing to most clubs.  The right golf professional does and recently I had the PGA employment person tell me that a prominent S Florida club was down to three people and the one in the lead was not PGA ( he had been in the past)....It's not just the PGA...I think the GCSAA is in the same boat and the NGCOA definitely is...cheers...PS  I say no way in hell he allows his pros to be a member nor would they wish to be if they were long term... ;D

Matt Frey, PGA

« Reply #47 on: October 27, 2014, 07:50:42 PM »

Matt,
With due respect I don't see it that way.  I would hire the right golf professional and if he happened to be a PGA member then that would be his thing.  I have a very good friend who ran for Secretary last year and was elected PGA golf professional of the year this year.  I'm not against the members of the PGA.  I don't like what the PGA has become.  It lost it's way a few years back.  ( my understanding was they did recieve a leased car after their term had expired also.  Anyway, more and more people are hiring the right guy first and worrying if he is a PGA pro later.  It is nothing but a union and really offers nothing to most clubs.  The right golf professional does and recently I had the PGA employment person tell me that a prominent S Florida club was down to three people and the one in the lead was not PGA ( he had been in the past)....It's not just the PGA...I think the GCSAA is in the same boat and the NGCOA definitely is...cheers...PS  I say no way in hell he allows his pros to be a member nor would they wish to be if they were long term... ;D

Agree to disagree  ;)

Tim_Cronin

« Reply #48 on: October 27, 2014, 07:57:46 PM »
One thing to consider about why the board removed Ted Bishop as president, other than the offending posts themselves, are the PGA's new relationships with the LPGA and KPMG for the Women's PGA Championship.

As a PGA member myself, I personally feel that this championship, that now falls underneath the PGA's umbrella, is the most exciting development to come out of the Association in recent years and would hate to see it tarnished by something as trivial as a tweet, especially before the inaugural event even takes place.

The name of the tournament should never have been changed. Makes the LPGA appear to be second-rate, subservient to the PGA, as in, "Sorry, ladies, it's our tournament now and we'll call it what we want." Never mind that the change was as much because of the LPGA as the PGA of A. It just looks tacky and not very major.

Mike_Young

« Reply #49 on: October 27, 2014, 09:23:20 PM »

Matt,

Agree to disagree  ;)

same here.... ;D

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back