News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Robert Thompson

Re: Andrew and Doak to rebuild greens at St. George’s G&CC
« Reply #25 on: December 07, 2014, 06:06:27 PM »
Tom: I always loved the second and seventh greens, and never thought the second was too fast, though I could see the 7th as an issue.

Perhaps my concerns are unwarranted, as I haven't played it.

What was the goal with the third green from your perspective?
Terrorizing Toronto Since 1997

Read me at Canadiangolfer.com

Tom_Doak

« Reply #26 on: December 08, 2014, 07:54:58 AM »
What was the goal with the third green from your perspective?

The goal with the third green was to return it to Thompson's original position, and to try to build something faithful to the original hole. 

[The green we replaced was one of four built by Robbie Robinson before the Canadian Open in the 1960's.  It was barely flat enough for any hole locations, totally inconsistent with the rest of the course based on its orientation across the line of play, and back in a corner of the property where they couldn't grow grass due to shade from trees on neighbors' property.  Other than that, it was below average.]

Our information on the contours of the original green was very sketchy, but the few descriptions we had said the green was two-tiered, and too steep for modern green speeds even in 1965 ... so we couldn't have put it back exactly the same even if we'd had the details.  The false front was the best we could do for taking up some of the fall from back to front.  Our first attempt at the green was flatter but there was a much steeper bank just short of the green, and it was clear from old pictures that players who came up short should be chipping up the green, not having to pitch up a steep bank ... so we lowered the green and made a false front to tie it in.  The new bunkers in front of the green are the best we could do at restoring Thompson's original bunkering, from the fuzzy photo we had of them -- that was the highlight of the new hole for me. 

I did suggest we fill in one of the previously existing bunkers at the far back left, but lots of people were queasy about that idea, so we left them as part of the hole.

Is a false front somehow inconsistent with Thompson's style of design?  I didn't think so, since it appeared from our historical info that the front part of #7 was originally just a false front that was never pinned, and #16 and #18 both have them.

Paul Jones

« Reply #27 on: December 08, 2014, 10:14:08 AM »
    What an amazing golf course this is on great land for golf. I was introduced to Thompson on this property last year and two days later got to play his wonderous design at Highland Links. No question after those two exposures Thompson is one of the greatest architects of the Golden age.
   When I think of St.Georges, the first hole that comes to mind is the 8th, one of the most natural long par 3's in the world. I still marvel that Thompson had the forsight to see that the green could be placed in a natural swale down hill from the tee that acts to partially hide the greens surface. It looks like a damn small target from the tee.  The friend I played it with and I experimented with short shots around the green after finishing out. The hanging bunker left of the green is a spot you don't want to play from.
   Any plans to change that green,  Ian and Tom? I thought it to be one of the most unique and perfect par 3's I have ever played.

Charlie, my thoughts exactly, that was my favorite hole on the entire trip. 

We are going to have to make another trip since Cabot Cliffs is opening next year :-).
Paul Jones
pauljones@live.com

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back