News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

John Morrissett

Feature Interview with Major Gurung and Ron Fream
« on: December 03, 2014, 10:49:02 PM »
Many of the game's most intriguing courses have intriguing stories behind them.  For example, think about the rebirth of Askernish; how the Great Depression resulted in the charmingly uncrowded Yeamans Hall (rather than the originally planned 36 holes with much more housing); Marion Hollins's role in the formalization of the 16th hole at Cypress Point; George's Crump's Pine Valley; Bob Jones's dream of Augusta National; Henry Fownes's creation of Oakmont; and so forth. 

To that list emphatically belongs Himalayan Golf Course, outside Pokhara, Nepal, which was profiled on this site earlier this year.  The credit for this gem belongs to Major Ram Gurung, a retired Gurkha.  His vision and ingenuity produced what, eight months after playing it, I still consider to be the most amazing golf course on the planet.  Even without, on a clear day, the stunning backdrop of the Annapurnas, Himalayan Golf Course is on the short list of the most dramatic courses, with its setting along, down into, through, and out of a river gorge.  The course offers much more than just scenery and drama, though, as the bold routing and hand-carved details provide much interest, variety and strategy.

In this month's Feature Interview, Major Gurung provides insight as to the evolution of the course.  Also contributing to the interview is Ron Fream, a frequent visitor to Nepal and pro bono consultant to Himalayan Golf Course on some tweaks along the way.  It is refreshing to hear a professional architect gush about the work of an amateur architect, and Ron's enthusiasm for both the course and its designer are evident.  Ron also shares his thoughts on other courses in Nepal (especially the nine-hole Yeti's Course at the Fulbari Resort and Spa, also near Pokhara). 

This interview will leave us all looking for our passports. On my next trip to Nepal, I will have to play three courses (Himalayan Golf Course (again); Yeti's; and David Kidd's Gokarna Forest (outside Kathmandu)).  With so many reasons to visit Nepal, who would have thought that golf would be one of them?? 

Gary Sato

Re: Feature Interview with Major Gurung and Ron Fream
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2014, 02:18:14 PM »
Thanks for posting this.  I enjoyed the interview and you can see the passion Major Gurung has for golf.  We are all better off for having such golf courses.   Very few people receive the proper kudos for trying to bring golf to the masses.  The fellow who operates the only golf course in Afghanistan is another who just simply loves the game.

As for Ron Fream, his last question about bringing golf to extreme remote places is not a surprise.  I have always thought that certain coastal areas in Africa or remote places in Asia could be spectacular. 

Connor Dougherty

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2014, 05:33:15 PM »
A terrific interview once again. Ever since I saw it mentioned on here I've been eager to make it to the country to see its golf courses. I had noticed on DMK's website that he had done a course in Nepal, one I've heard so little about. One of these days...

Just a quick question: I didn't see any reference to Ushuaia Golf Club in the interview but was thrilled with the picture. Was there an earlier reference to the golf course I missed? My father and I tried to play there several years ago when we had a day in the town after touring Tierra del Fuego, but the man who collects greens fees was not at the pro shop. But I'd go back to Ushuaia just for the meat. My goodness the meat. 8)
« Last Edit: December 08, 2014, 06:36:33 PM by Connor Dougherty »
"The website is just one great post away from changing the world of golf architecture.  Make it." --Bart Bradley

Tom_Doak

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2014, 09:23:18 PM »
A terrific interview once again. Ever since I saw it mentioned on here I've been eager to make it to the country to see its golf courses. I had noticed on DMK's website that he had done a course in Nepal, one I've heard so little about. One of these days...

Just a quick question: I didn't see any reference to Ushuaia Golf Club in the interview but was thrilled with the picture. Was there an earlier reference to the golf course I missed? My father and I tried to play there several years ago when we had a day in the town after touring Tierra del Fuego, but the man who collects greens fees was not at the pro shop. But I'd go back to Ushuaia just for the meat. My goodness the meat. 8)

Connor:

How big is the course at Ushuaia?  I'm headed to South America in March to see everything I can see, and I would love to get there, but not to find a nine-hole par-3 course!

Connor Dougherty

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2014, 11:18:35 PM »
Tom,
I had to look up to make sure, but my memory served me correct, as it does indeed feature 9 full length holes at 2786 yards according to a website.

If you do find yourself down there, see if you can make it to Magallanes CC down in Punta Arenas. My father and I found it to be a very pleasant round of golf looking over the Straits of Magellan, with a couple holes which featured various tee boxes. I played it when I was in 7th grade prior to having any holding interest in GCA but am very eager to get back there.
"The website is just one great post away from changing the world of golf architecture.  Make it." --Bart Bradley

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back