News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

David Ober

Sonoma Golf Club and "The Drought"....
« on: October 20, 2014, 08:01:14 PM »
Anyone play at Sonoma Golf Club lately? What can I expect? Playing there this week and have heard good things from some people. Wondering how it's holding up with the drought conditions up in NorCal.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2014, 08:19:08 PM by David Ober »

Tim Leahy

Re: Sonoma Golf Club and "The Drought"....
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2014, 08:31:41 PM »
Sonoma is part of a high end resort so I would imagine the fairways and greens are good.
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2014, 08:48:10 PM »
Played high school matches there, my favorite course north of San Francisco.   Great Muirfield routing, check it out.  Let us know what you think.  Sam Whiting, 1925, height of the Golden Age of golf design. 

Favorite holes, #5 and #15, long par 4s.   #11, really good uphill short par 4.  #8, really sturdy par 5.  #7, lovely par 3 in a valley. 

It should be playing fast and firm, hopefully they aren't pumping the water to it. 

David_Tepper

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2014, 09:34:43 PM »
David Ober -

Sounds like you might be playing in the Stocker Cup. Is that the case? If so, good luck.

The event is being held this year at Sonoma because The Preserve, in Carmel Valley, where the event has always been held, has been hit very hard by the drought.

http://amateurgolf.com/golf-tournament-news/13820/Stocker-Cup-set-to-tee-off-Weds--10-22-at-Sonoma-Golf-Club

Sonoma should be OK. We actually had a bit of rain here this morning and most of it fell north of San Francisco.

DT

David Ober

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2014, 11:36:35 PM »
David Ober -

Sounds like you might be playing in the Stocker Cup. Is that the case? If so, good luck.

The event is being held this year at Sonoma because The Preserve, in Carmel Valley, where the event has always been held, has been hit very hard by the drought.

http://amateurgolf.com/golf-tournament-news/13820/Stocker-Cup-set-to-tee-off-Weds--10-22-at-Sonoma-Golf-Club

Sonoma should be OK. We actually had a bit of rain here this morning and most of it fell north of San Francisco.

DT

Yes I am playing in the Stocker, David. Looking forward to it. I won't win, but on any of the three days, I can still challenge for the low score of the day.

Not sure what it means at my age (47), but I just absolutely love tournament golf. Sitting at my favorite restaurant, drinking a nice Scotch, and looking forward to the next four days. That's all that really matters, I guess.... :-)

David_Tepper

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2014, 09:49:05 AM »
David O. -

Looks like you & your partner had a nice round yesterday. Keep it up!

http://stockercup.com/live-scoring/

DT
« Last Edit: October 23, 2014, 04:07:40 PM by David_Tepper »

Gary Sato

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2014, 01:16:24 PM »
Sonoma is part of a high end resort so I would imagine the fairways and greens are good.

This is not always true.  First the reason the Stocker Cup has moved is because The Preserve in Carmel Valley which is ultra high end, is out of water and I'm told the course is closed.  Just a few miles away you have Quail Lodge and they have plenty of water.

Back to the wine country, Silverado has some type of water source and uses as much as they want.  Not sure about the water supply to Sonoma golf club?

Bill_McBride

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2014, 03:36:52 PM »
There is a large, deep pond in front of the back tee on 10 but no idea where they would get water to fill it.  Not rain these days.  I wish we could ship some out west, we'll have over 80" here in NW Florida this year.

Matt_Cohn

« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2014, 03:51:00 PM »
David O. -

Looks like you had a nice round yesterday. Keep it up!

http://stockercup.com/live-scoring/

DT

For individual scores, click "Scoring" under the NCGA logo and then go to the individual results page.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2014, 04:05:33 PM »
Looks like David and his partner may be ham and egg experts.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back