News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tim Pitner

Re: Myopia Hunt Club - Photo Tour
« Reply #25 on: October 17, 2014, 03:21:39 PM »
Thanks Jon, looks fantastic.  Myopia is one of those on my short list.  It appears to be ideal golfing ground.

Jon Cavalier

« Reply #26 on: October 17, 2014, 03:24:22 PM »
FYI  A photo tour of this course was posted just over two years ago - under a pseudonym.

My recollection is that there had been some photos of the course posted on GCA earlier or even a full review and the club requested that they be removed.

Hopefully they have changed their perception of the Treehouse and do not object.   You want to get invited back, and no repurcussions to your host!

Wm Flynnfan

Interesting.  That said, I was not hosted by a member at Myopia, so there would be no blowback to anyone (were that a possibility, I would have checked and received permission first).  However, if the club takes issue with the photos, I would take the post down (though I would think that would be a disservice to all interested in old world golf course architechture).
Golf Photos via
Twitter: @linksgems
Instagram: @linksgems

Jeff_Mingay

« Reply #27 on: October 17, 2014, 03:37:52 PM »
Thanks for posting, Jon.

If I could only look at two courses for the rest of my life, I might pick Myopia and Garden City.
jeffmingay.com

Richard Choi

« Reply #28 on: October 17, 2014, 03:44:18 PM »
I usually stay away from photo tours of courses that I have not played since I like to experience a new course with as little preconceived notions as possible, but I was very happy to see this tour as I have absolute zero chance of visiting this great course. Fantastic tour. Loved it.

jeffwarne

« Reply #29 on: October 17, 2014, 03:49:37 PM »
Leeds has an impressive resume given his short list of courses designed.
Palmetto, Myopia, Kebo Valley
great stuff
Great pictures-thanks for posting
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Jeff Taylor

« Reply #30 on: October 17, 2014, 03:52:02 PM »
Exceptional images.
What camera was used?

Brad Tufts

« Reply #31 on: October 17, 2014, 03:59:20 PM »
Don't forget Bass Rocks in Gloucester, MA is in the Leeds portfolio!

As for Myopia tinkering, there has been little since the second 9 was added circa 1900.

The original 9 was comprised in a general sense....1-2-8-9-c10 tee over Alps feature to c11 green-c12 tee to c14green-two holes on the c15th-16.  I may have a couple of these off, not quite sure....but that is a common "club 9" played by members late in the day (playing both 10 and 11, as the old direct line between them is woods now).
So I jump ship in Hong Kong....

Chris DeToro

« Reply #32 on: October 17, 2014, 04:10:55 PM »
It definitely appeared to be very much the original from the early 1900s.

Shane Wright

« Reply #33 on: October 17, 2014, 04:24:04 PM »
This is just another reminder that Sept/Oct should be considered the US golf course photo tour months on GCA. The colors are amazing this time of year. 

Jon, thanks for taking the time to put this together.

Shane

Rich Goodale

« Reply #34 on: October 17, 2014, 04:32:14 PM »
Thanks Jon

I've played Myopia several times, most recently in 2012.  I would never call it a "great"course (GCA wise), but it is within my top 20 golfing experiences of all time.  Swinley (e.g) is a "better" course, but Myopia is by far a better experience.  IMHO.

Rich
Life is good.

Any afterlife is unlikely and/or dodgy.

Jean-Paul Parodi

Brian Finn

« Reply #35 on: October 17, 2014, 05:02:39 PM »
Terrific photo tour.  You have a real knack for photographing golf courses.  Thank you for sharing.
New for 2023:  Cheraw SP, Grandfather, Clyne, Tenby, Pennard, Langland Bay, Southerndown, Pyle & Kenfig, Royal Porthcawl, Ashburnham, Rolls of Monmouth, Old Barnwell...

John Sabino

« Reply #36 on: October 17, 2014, 05:05:17 PM »
Jon - Best picture of bar ever posted on GCA  ;), what fantastic pictures. I share your admiration of Myopia, one-of-a-kind indeed. I get to visit once a year and it is usually one of my highlights. Great finishing hole and the place still has bite despite not being lengthened. John
Author: How to Play the World's Most Exclusive Golf Clubs and Golf's Iron Horse - The Astonishing, Record-Breaking Life of Ralph Kennedy

http://www.top100golf.blogspot.com/

Keith Durrant

« Reply #37 on: October 17, 2014, 06:17:55 PM »
Great experience  - will never forget the Beef Consomme with Sherry that was served up there to warm chilly golfers in October. Fantastic photos.

jeffwarne

« Reply #38 on: October 17, 2014, 06:57:20 PM »
Thanks Jon

I've played Myopia several times, most recently in 2012.  I would never call it a "great"course (GCA wise), but it is within my top 20 golfing experiences of all time.  Swinley (e.g) is a "better" course, but Myopia is by far a better experience.  IMHO.

Rich

Rich,
I found Myopia fascinating, unique, quirky, fun, strategic, variable and a blast to play.
What part of that is not great?
I guess I just was slightly underwhelmed at Swinley(no doubt a victim of expectations) , though it's certainly an outstanding course as well.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2014, 07:36:02 PM by jeffwarne »
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

William_G

« Reply #39 on: October 17, 2014, 07:21:43 PM »
Thank you Jon, well done!!!!
It's all about the golf!

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #40 on: October 17, 2014, 07:25:16 PM »
My wife and I played MHC on July 4th many years ago. I tried to find the most patriotic thing I could do since I was in the land of Lexington and Concord.  Playing MHC seemed to fit the bill. Played it twice.  It is one of those really special places that is from a different era.  It didn't seem to be difficult, until I added up my score. Thanks for the pictures. 
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Mark Saltzman

« Reply #41 on: October 17, 2014, 08:39:23 PM »
Thanks Jon

I've played Myopia several times, most recently in 2012.  I would never call it a "great"course (GCA wise), but it is within my top 20 golfing experiences of all time.  Swinley (e.g) is a "better" course, but Myopia is by far a better experience.  IMHO.

Rich

What a bizarre statement. What holds it back from being great (GCA wise).

Mark Steffey

« Reply #42 on: October 17, 2014, 08:40:21 PM »
Jon,
In your photo tour you have 12 listed as a 5.  it is in fact a par 4.  

great photos.

i believe an open held there is the one with the highest winning score by a champion.  ;)

Greg Gilson

« Reply #43 on: October 17, 2014, 08:45:55 PM »
Jon, I add my thanks for taking the time to post this. Boston is a long way from Melbourne but your words (AND PICTURES!!!!) make me determined to get there one way or another. All the best.

Brad Tufts

« Reply #44 on: October 17, 2014, 10:41:03 PM »
Now that I have a few minutes I can add some hole comments.  As I have said before, there is no course I have played on this side on the pond that requires as much course knowledge, and provides as much pleasure when you pull these shots off.  Courses like NGLA and Shinnecock are similar, with insanely scenic settings.  I know I'm adding many caveats about Myopia's greatness, but if you get the chance to experience MHC, you will see what I mean!

Hole #1:  A quintessential first hole for Myopia, a half par of 275 yards.  Despite being a hugely wide fairway for a hole of its length, an amazing # of players end up in the left fescue near the OB.  The widest part of the fairway is to the right giving you an odd angle against the R->L slope of the hole, but I think people go left because much of the fairway is invisible from the tee.  Unique because to reach a flat lie for the second, one must get within 80 yards of the hole, creating an awkward second to a green that is bigger than it looks.  In the early 2000s, the club shaved the bank left of the green, so if you miss on the left fringe, you will end up 10 feet and 20 yards below and left of the green.  There are some fun stories of bombers driving the green, putting off of it to the left, and making 6+!

Hole #2:  Sometimes an easier 4 than #1.  When firmed out, a good drive here can leave only a mid-iron, but the slope of the fairway tends to push tee balls into the left rough.  The original strategy dictated a shot to the green to barely carry the bunker 50 yards short of the green, and bounce down the hill to the green.  Once this may have been for the third shot, and today is for the second.  The tough part comes with choosing a line over the blind crest of the hill, and hitting a shot that will roll onto the green as opposed to run through.  The safe play for a second (or even a third) is long, as this leaves an uphill chip or pitch.

Hole #3:  A true long par three requiring a fairway wood or driver from the tee that barely carries the huge front bunker about 40-50 yards short of the green.  Players of all abilities are not used to hitting full 3W or Driver to such a tiny target, so the spray pattern here is enormous.  Even some great shots will end up in deep rough just left of the green.  The green features do not help matters, as it is small and two-tiered, and built out from the flat in front of the green so there is some elevation from the surrounding grade on three sides.  3 half-par holes to start make for outstanding match play decisions.  Listen for the 50 or so hounds that live in the kennel left of #3...they are maintained for use in the several ceremonial hunts each year.

Brad Tufts

« Reply #45 on: October 17, 2014, 11:08:13 PM »
Hole #4:  The oft-referenced "best hole of its length in the free world," is one of Myopia's great par fours, despite that statement being more referential to the lack of great 390 yard holes.  The Miles River down the left may be skirted to gain distance, or the player can use the right half of the fairway to avoid the hazard.  Those that challenge the hazard have an angle that looks directly at the green's slope without having to deal with the R->L slope of the green as much.  Not surprisingly, many players end up in the right rough behind the 7th green with little spin to control the second shot.  When firm, this is one of the most difficult approach shots on the course.  Because there is such a small pinnable area, the aiming point for the second shot, even with a wedge, is at the very far right edge of the green.  An uphill putt is what we are after, but there is really a 25-foot semicircle short of the pin where an approach will stay and be playable.  The left 2/3 of the green is too steep for a pin at current speeds.  Legend has it that a US Open competitor putted off this green into the River left of the green, but the River had to be mighty high back then (or the green closer to it), as they are separated by about 20 yards today.

Hole #5:  Probably the most benign hole on the course, #5 is the second-longest par four on the course at 415 yards.  The fairway narrows after the 240 mark from the tee, and approach shots seem to end up short and right of the green, which is also the direction the green slopes.  A huge grass bunker short of the fairway once was more in play, but requires only a 180 yard carry today.  This is an underrated green.

Hole #6:  At only 260 yards off the tee, this probably IS the best par four of its length in America, as so few are built this short today.  The key to the 6th hole is the stream crossing the fairway about 30 yards short of the green, which also winds closer to the green on the left side.  Even though this hole is less than a driver for some, it still requires a very solid shot to reach the green.  Unfortunately the layup choice is becoming increasingly irrelevant, but for shorter players a layup and a difficult wedge is still a great challenge.  The green is a masterpiece for this length, as it is very severe sloping hard to the left.  The pin can only be located on the right side, with about 20 feet of leeway forward or backward.  Most players that "go for the green" end up on the slope short of the green requiring a very touchy pitch using the fronting slope to slow the ball.  This hole is about as close as on can get to a "2 or 20" par four hole.  It can be an easy birdie, or make you wonder how on earth it took you 6 shots to cover 260 yards!

Jon Cavalier

« Reply #46 on: October 17, 2014, 11:15:51 PM »
And now we have the second reason I'm happy to have posted this thread.
Golf Photos via
Twitter: @linksgems
Instagram: @linksgems

Brad Tufts

« Reply #47 on: October 17, 2014, 11:31:50 PM »
Hole #7:  The start of a GREAT stretch of roller-coaster holes from 7-13.  One stands on the lower right tee and wonders, where do we go from here?  The tee shot is not blind but is effectively so, as the target is on the other side of the hill.  Most tee shots will not travel far enough to see the green about 50 feet below the fairway, and the flatter (preferable) right side does not allow viewing the green without a Sergio-like run after contact.  There are players that will challenge the left side where one can see the green, but the fairway slopes severely R->L, and you are more likely to run into a bunker or deep rough requiring a pitch-out.  The second is another ground-level green at the end of the wide sloping fairway.  Much like the approach to #2, the real yardage means little, and the challenge is to find a club that will stop the ball on the green.  This is one of Myopia's best holes, and it gets almost no recognition.

Hole #8: Another great half-par hole, the 5th in 8 holes!!  The 8th appears as a 480-yd par five links hole, with a subtle half-pipe effect off the tee, and a crest that makes the tee shot partially blind.  This part of the property plays very firm, and it is not uncommon for an enormous amount of roll with a solid tee ball.  The player must hit his tee ball solid, as a layup is almost a certain 6.  My recommendation for players is to purposefully play short of this green and pitch up the hill.  The green is large but so severely sloped to the left that an attempt at the pin from any great distance is not a smart play.  Missing as much as 3 feet above the hole will create wild putting adventures, as I have seen 4 and 5 putts from above the hole.  Sometimes even short putts will break hugely, and I have seen players putt with their back to the hole.

Hole #9:  A short par three of only 130 yards, this is probably the most unique hole at Myopia.  One might even call this a half-par (three-quarter?) hole because so many birdies are made among those hitting the green.  Set in an idyllic grove in the woods with pond between tee and green, #9 is all-or-nothing.  The green is only about 25 feet wide, but almost 50 yards from front to back.  The green slopes towards its middle, but 7 or 8 bunkers surround the green on three sides.  These bunkers are free form pot bunkers, many with stairs to assist players entering and exiting.  Hitting the green will usually leave a makeable putt, but missing the green creates short game shots not found anywhere else.  Where else does one have a 15-foot bunker shot that must rise vertically from the sand, with your backswing truncated by the other side of the bunker?  Where else can one be in a bunker 20 yards from his target with a view of nothing but sky...with other bunkers to carry?  Myopia excels in displaying quirk from days gone by, and one finishes a hole like #9 and wonders, why do modern holes (and even some classic, as most of them came after Myopia) deviate so far from what Myopia got so right 115+ years ago!!
« Last Edit: October 17, 2014, 11:33:47 PM by Brad Tufts »

Jim Nugent

« Reply #48 on: October 18, 2014, 01:39:26 AM »
Leeds has an impressive resume given his short list of courses designed.
Palmetto, Myopia, Kebo Valley

Did Leeds design Myopia, or did one of the other GCA greats?

Josh Stevens

« Reply #49 on: October 18, 2014, 04:31:56 AM »
Golly gosh.  I take back all the rude things I have ever said about American golf, and that is quite a few

What a nice place to play golf.

However I do not think that the 9th green and those coffin bunkers, mixed with a self-serve bar is a sensible commercial proposition.  If ever a hole needed a stiff drink or 6 it is that one.  Talk about inviting disaster

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back