News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ira Fishman

Moray Old
« on: July 02, 2019, 04:07:05 PM »
I have not seen a lot of discussion about Moray Old lately.  Thoughts?  We already have played Nairn and Castle Stuart.  Is Moray worth trying to work in on a trip if we are not going to play those two courses again?

Thanks as always.

Ira

Ally Mcintosh

Re: Moray Old
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2019, 04:11:45 PM »
Yes. One of the most underrated courses in Scotland. Not top tier but good variety and some great holes.

David_Tepper

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2019, 04:36:13 PM »
Ira -

Niall Carlton is our resident authority on Moray Old. I am sure he will chime in. Through his kindness I have played the course twice. It is likely the best links course on the Moray coastline between Nairn and Fraserburgh.

I would second Ally's take. A few too many dull-ish holes to be top tier.

Duff House Royal (in Banff) is another course worth a look along the Moray coast. While very close to the ocean, it is parkland (designed by Dr. Mackenzie) rather than links. But a very pretty spot. 

https://www.duffhouseroyal.com/

DT
« Last Edit: July 02, 2019, 04:38:01 PM by David_Tepper »

Ira Fishman

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2019, 04:51:43 PM »
David and Ally,

Thank you as always.  In my enthusiasm from our last several trips, I am thinking about a way too ambitious two week journey from Dublin to Dornoch to St. Andrews.  Not even I would play every day so I am trying to come up with a manageable schedule.  And David, if we do make it back to Dornoch, I will make sure to let you know.

Ira

Michael Wolf

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2019, 05:08:12 PM »
Boat of Garten also a great option when on a 2nd visit to that area.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2019, 05:59:35 PM by Michael Wolf »

Garland Bayley

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2019, 05:13:57 PM »
I would second Ally's take. A few too many dull-ish holes to be top tier.

I'll third that. Tain is more convenient to Dornoch, and in my estimation the same level as Moray Old. Besides it brings you close enough to Tarbat at Portmahomack to make at least a quick spin around the 10 holes. Two par 3s sit side by side, so playing both of them makes a 10 hole round as opposed to playing each once in two times around. Unless of course you want to do 20 holes by going around twice. ;)
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Steve Lapper

« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2019, 07:03:47 AM »
Having played Moray Old (Lossiemouth) a good number of times, I find it a most welcome respite from higher-priced (and often more complete), bigger named courses.

A decent number of holes are fun and it's 18th may well be the best of all the closers in all of Scotland.

Furthermore, playing with RAF Tornados a mere 30 ft above your head as they train their landings and takeoffs at the Lossiemouth base is kinda cool and certainly different. A golfer can feel the heat and wind blast from these planes as they line up their wedges and putters.

It is also a stellar place to play a game with hickories. I must say I prefer them here over Castle Stuart and Nairn.

Lastly, having a drink on the steps of the clubhouse above is a lovely treat and great way to end a fine walk.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2019, 11:37:55 AM by Steve Lapper »
The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking."--John Kenneth Galbraith

Ira Fishman

« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2019, 07:37:11 AM »
Many thanks.  How would you rate the relative merits of Moray Old, Fraserburgh, Murcar Links, and Panmure?

Ira

Mike Hendren

« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2019, 09:35:45 AM »
Cullen!  Sorry about the sizing.

« Last Edit: July 03, 2019, 09:41:34 AM by Michael H »
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Niall C

« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2019, 12:02:21 PM »
Ira

Let me preface what I'm about to say by saying that I was a member at Moray for a few years and had the pleasure of playing the course in some shape or form (ie. the course allows you to skip a few holes here and there and cut back etc) 3 or 4 times a week during the summer months.

Some would say therefore that I'm undoubtedly biased and they would be right. But I'm still correct in saying that Moray Old is as good as any and better than most of the courses in the north of Scotland. The only difference between Moray Old and RDGC or Nairn is that those courses have bigger greenkeeping budgets and Moray is nowhere near as pretentious. Moray Old, along with Fraserburgh and probably Peterhead along that coastline, is as big a course as any, which is to say it has championship muscle but is also great fun, eminently playable and with some great architecture.

As an aside, the photo that Bogey posted of Cullen, shows one of the sea stacks that are on the course. Next door to Moray is the nine hole Covesea course which has similar terrain.

Niall

Mike Hendren

« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2019, 12:53:33 PM »
Covesea!

Oh my.  I had not planned a return to Scotland for some years, if ever, but might have to put together Bogey's North Sea Dash to include Old Moray, Cullen, Covesea, Peterhead and Fraserburgh with a grand finale at Cruden Bay.  Could always double down at Strathlene Inverallochy and Hopeman along the way.   A man can dream. 

In the famous words of U. S. Senator John Blutarsky:  "Who's with me?"
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Brian_Ewen

« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2019, 03:14:10 AM »
Oh my.  I had not planned a return to Scotland for some years, if ever, but might have to put together Bogey's North Sea Dash to include Old Moray, Cullen, Covesea, Peterhead and Fraserburgh with a grand finale at Cruden Bay.  Could always double down at Strathlene Inverallochy and Hopeman along the way.   A man can dream. 

Makes more sense than a lot of the schedules I see being planned on here.

Niall C

« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2019, 12:54:35 PM »
Bogey

Put me down for the "North Sea Dash".

Niall

Thomas Dai

« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2019, 01:51:11 PM »
Covesea is somewhere I'd like to see.
Tain was mentioned above. A very underrated course imo.
As to Moray, here's a photo of what the 18th green and 1st tee were once like.
atb

Shelly Jones

« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2019, 02:05:53 PM »

18th is a very good hole; not sure that it is the best closing hole in Scotland, however.

Bring a good pair of ear plugs. The RAF base is a very huge distraction.

jeffwarne

« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2019, 10:03:02 AM »
Covesea!

In the famous words of U. S. Senator John Blutarsky:  "Who's with me?"

I've planned a similar itinerary for many years,yet still haven't made it-looks like the perfect low maintenance compact trip.
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back