News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mike Hendren

North Coast Dash
« on: July 05, 2019, 02:03:29 PM »
For simple fun along the North Sea should one include Nairn Dunbar, Spey Bay, Rosehearty and Newburg on Ythan for late evening play after morning rounds as the more usual suspects?

Bogey
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

David_Tepper

Re: North Coast Dash
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2019, 02:29:58 PM »
Bogey -

I played Nairn Dunbar once 4-5 years ago. If a recall correctly, I don't think you can actually see the water of the Moray Firth from anywhere on the course.

I remember the course itself as being OK (& not very linksy), but clearly a notch below courses like Golspie, Brora & Tain.

DT 
« Last Edit: July 05, 2019, 10:38:46 PM by David_Tepper »

Thomas Dai

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2019, 04:16:30 PM »
Several of the more ‘usual suspects’ have second courses and your greenfee may already include, or could be slightly enhanced to include, play on the second course too. Whilst I’m unsure of the quality of some of the second courses, you can most likely research this, the St Olaf-9 at Cruden Bay should not be missed.
Atb

Stephen Northrup

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2019, 10:35:44 PM »
Rosehearty is a fun and quick nine with a few truly good holes and the Doak seal of approval.

While near Nairn, do not miss Covesea, if you can find it.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2019, 12:55:27 AM »
You can skip Nairn Dunbar where one of the holes on the back nine is named "flat", which is a name that could have been applied to several holes there. I played it because the owner of the B&B where I stayed was a member. Unfortunately, after playing I had to find nice things to say about it.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Niall C

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2019, 10:10:11 AM »
Perhaps this tour should be called the Moray Coast Dash instead.

Nairn Dunbar - has been discussed on here a number of times over the years and best described as a course in 3 parts. First part old and linksy, second part decidedly new and third part old and flattish, all in that order. Not a bad course at all, especially the first part, but I think whether you come off disappointed will depend on your expectations.

The others mentioned have some nice holiday golf. In terms of Strathlene, I personally think the Buckpool course at the other side of town (Buckie), has some more interesting stuff going on and also has that cliff top setting although you probably don't quite see much of the sea if that is your thing.

If it was my tour, I'd be playing both Elgin and Duff House Royal even though they are bang on the coast.

Niall

Steve Lang

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2019, 08:02:48 AM »
Dang Bogey,

I thought you were talking about The Great Lakes border
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back