News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ally Mcintosh

Re: unheralded english golf courses
« Reply #25 on: October 29, 2014, 07:23:09 AM »
Would be nice to hear about certain classic courses that we hear nothing of...

For instance, I sent a group of 16 to Herbert Fowler's West Surrey a few years ago (unfortunately I couldn't make it) and most had it at the same level as Woking and Liphook, the other two they played.

There must be a few gems from Abercromby, Fowler, Park, Colt, Simpson or MacKenzie that we hear nothing about... Or some of the others from the time...

Sam Krume

« Reply #26 on: October 29, 2014, 07:29:26 AM »
Mark, love Crowborough and Knole Park...also love Royal Ashdown in that neck off the woods even though you couldn't class it unheralded.

Sam Krume

« Reply #27 on: October 29, 2014, 07:32:15 AM »
Paul,
Get down to woking, its an absolute cracker but also have a go at west byfleet whilst you're in the area. we are also coming down to your neck of the woods in a couple of weeks to sample the delights of Hayling Isalnd once again.

Brent Hutto

« Reply #28 on: October 29, 2014, 07:44:58 AM »
I'm thinking back through my "day of arrival" courses, the places I've played directly after getting off the plane from my overnight, TATL flights from USA to England.

2006 [no golf on day of arrival]
2007 Formby
2008 [no golf on day of arrival]
2010 Crowborough Beacon
2012 Reddish Vale
2013 Wilmslow
2014 Delamere Forest

Maybe those are a cut above "unheralded" but there's not a one of them I wouldn't return to at the drop of a hat. It seems to be true in England that one can ask "Where's a good place to play within an hour of the airport" and get recommendations far superior to the courses one might find near any given major airport in USA.

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #29 on: October 29, 2014, 07:54:21 AM »
What about Ipswich / Purdis Heath?

http://www.top100golfcourses.co.uk/htmlsite/productdetails.asp?id=194

EDIT - Just noted Paul's post about this course

Thomas Dai

« Reply #30 on: October 29, 2014, 08:22:38 AM »
Sean,

I don't think we're that far apart. I'd only fancy 'unheralded' or thoroughly decent provided the conditioning is of a good or better standard. Generally the more quirky a course the more I can accept a lower standard of conditioning, even poor conditioning for a way out the back of beyond rustic course, otherwise standard of conditioning is important. One of the reasons I like playing in Open Comps is because the conditioning is normally bumped up a bit for the day.

Here's an example of a very fine largely unknown course, 'unheralded' but with excellent conditioning and a distinctly tough test of golf - South Staffs at (unheralded!) Wolverhampton.

Atb

Sean_A

« Reply #31 on: October 29, 2014, 08:45:18 AM »
atb

Well, speaking of unheralded...If the weather is decent for a tin man, I ma planning on playing Stiff's Cumberwell Park (Orange & Blue) on Friday.  We are only two so you (and anybody else) are more than welcome to join us.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Dunfanaghy, Fraserburgh, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Paul Gray

« Reply #32 on: October 29, 2014, 02:05:12 PM »
Paul,
Get down to woking, its an absolute cracker but also have a go at west byfleet whilst you're in the area. we are also coming down to your neck of the woods in a couple of weeks to sample the delights of Hayling Isalnd once again.

Ah yes, it was you that I suggested visit Hayling. Oh, and it's a VERY small point but you wouldn't want to get shot by a member when you're down here: The place is called Hayling Island but the club is simply Hayling Golf Club. There is a presumably long died ex-secretary who could quite possibly pop out of the grave if he hears talk of Hayling Island Golf Club. It's blasphemy!

I haven't played Woking for years. Last time I was there I was in a junior competition so it has been a long time! The list of courses is just too long.
In the places where golf cuts through pretension and elitism, it thrives and will continue to thrive because the simple virtues of the game and its attendant culture are allowed to be most apparent. - Tim Gavrich

Paul Gray

« Reply #33 on: October 29, 2014, 02:14:02 PM »
I didn't get the chance to venture any real distance from Ipswich whilst working there and therefore can only comment on Purdis Heath and Woodbridge. Had the evenings allowed I would have loved to have ventured to Aldeburgh, Thorpeness, Felixstowe Ferry and, of course, Royal Worlington & Newmarket.

That's a reputable little list and yet the whole of Suffolk tends to remain under the radar. 
In the places where golf cuts through pretension and elitism, it thrives and will continue to thrive because the simple virtues of the game and its attendant culture are allowed to be most apparent. - Tim Gavrich

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back