News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Steve Green

Reconsidering OB - a little help
« on: October 27, 2015, 01:50:42 PM »
My home course has a practice area tucked between the 1st and 6th holes.  OB stakes surround the range.  We assume that this was implemented to protect our fellow golfers.

I have a couple of questions I would appreciate your assistance with.

1.  Are you aware of situations like this where the practice ground is considered a part of the golf course and is in play (not OoB)?
      In the Chicago area I have heard Point O' Woods has a range in play.

2.  Are you aware of any courses who have removed the OB stakes around a range?

I appreciate the help.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2015, 09:31:36 PM by Steve Green »
The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.
Bertrand Russell

Tim Gallant

Re: Reconsidering OB - a little help
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2015, 01:55:51 PM »
Steve, at North Berwick, the range is not OB when you play the 8th, 9th and 11th holes. I have played a few shots from the range, and it works because there is never more than a handful of people on the range, so usually a quick arm wave and a shot back into play works. Also, the area of the range where the players usually hit from is not really in play, so there is never a threat to those players.

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2015, 02:25:12 PM »
Steve,

at Howley Hall GC near Leeds, there is a practice ground between the 10th, 11th & 12th holes that is part of the course. Never a problem as users know players on the course have priority. Only delays that does happen is trying to find the right ball to play.

Jon
« Last Edit: October 27, 2015, 04:03:42 PM by Jon Wiggett »

Matt Frey, PGA

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2015, 02:30:43 PM »
Before they built their new range, Miami View (Miamitown, Ohio) allowed play from the range and practice area on holes No. 8 and 9.

Jay Mickle

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2015, 02:33:35 PM »
At Pine Needles to the right of the first fairway, rough, a line of trees and the cart path is the driving range. It is considered in play for those game enough to hit from there, though often finding ones ball among all of the ProV range balls is often the greatest problem.
@MickleStix on Instagram
MickleStix.com

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2015, 02:46:04 PM »
though often finding ones ball among all of the ProV range balls is often the greatest problem.

Lot of players purposely hitting into the range?

The Country Club of Torrington's range lies smack dab between #'s 1 & 18 and is in play. Much better since they moved to yellow balls.  :)
"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

Mark Pearce

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2015, 02:49:56 PM »
The practice ground at Muirfield is to the right of the 9th fairway.  It is in play and frequently visited.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Rob Marshall

« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2015, 03:07:03 PM »
In play at almost every club I can think of in my area.
If life gives you limes, make margaritas.” Jimmy Buffett

Kalen Braley

« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2015, 03:16:18 PM »
Yes....Cypress Point just to the right of the 1st tee.  I hit my Tee ball into it and played from it...

MClutterbuck

« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2015, 03:17:56 PM »
At San Andres Golf Club in Buenos Aires the driving range is an integral part of the course, with several sliced drives ending up in it every day. We just let folks at the driving range know we are headed in to play, and everybody switches to short wedges until you are out of reach. The challenge is finding your ball in the middle of hundreds of range balls.

The range is probably 40 yards from the first tee, at most. Part of the reason Tom Doak included the course in the Best Walks list in Volume 2.

Jason Topp

« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2015, 03:34:52 PM »
I have seen many courses where the practice range is considered part of the course.  It works fine as long as you can trust the people using the range and playing the course to exhibit some common sense.  Yellow range balls help as well.

Paul Gray

« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2015, 03:44:12 PM »
A snap hook on the first on the first at Hayling puts you on the practice ground. You're in play but out of position. Par is unlikely.
In the places where golf cuts through pretension and elitism, it thrives and will continue to thrive because the simple virtues of the game and its attendant culture are allowed to be most apparent. - Tim Gavrich

RSantangelo

« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2015, 04:09:35 PM »
In play at almost every club I can think of in my area.

Likewise

Doug Siebert

« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2015, 06:18:07 PM »
My home course has gone back and forth with OB / not OB on the range left of the 10th hole several times over the years. In this case it is only a safety issue for those who choose to go onto the range and look for / play their ball, as it isn't a shortcut. The way I look at it, if you don't feel comfortable going into the range to look for it, or you can see but don't feel comfortable playing it, you can always declare it lost / unplayable and re-tee with the same penalty as OB. Not marking it OB simply gives you more options.

In the case of a driving range where there having it not be OB would cause golfers to play the course differently - i.e. trying to take a shortcut, then I think it should be OB. Again, you still have the option to trying to take the shortcut, but with the understanding that the penalty for failing is greater.
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Mark Sider

« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2015, 07:10:53 PM »
Ninth hole at Calumet Country Club the range is in play. Thankfully the range balls are yellow. I see a lot of courses where the range is in play. If the range becomes OB then that will change the strategy of club selection off the tee which can be annoying. In course out of bounds is typically annoying though!

Doug Siebert

« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2015, 05:18:42 PM »
I don't consider having a driving range OB as "in course OB". To me, in-course OB is where both sides of the stakes are in bounds, just not on the same hole, or there is an 'island' of OB (saw this once where there was a small chipping area in the middle of the course surrounded by OB I guess to encourage people to aim their shots away from it)
My hovercraft is full of eels.

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2015, 06:10:28 PM »
great way to slow up play looking for a white ball among 100's of other white balls
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Wayne_Kozun

« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2015, 10:23:38 PM »
great way to slow up play looking for a white ball among 100's of other white balls
Which is one of the reasons that many clubs with these sorts of ranges use coloured range balls.

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2015, 11:34:03 PM »
For those in the industry, does it make any difference from a liability standpoint?

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back