News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

MCirba

Re: Berkshire CC (Reading, PA): a super fun Wille Park, Jr design
« Reply #25 on: June 04, 2015, 09:01:46 AM »

Chris,

What did the players think of the course today?
LOTS of low single-digit players shot mid-eighties and worse.  There's a 96 there!

If anyone is interested in the results:
http://www.ghintpp.com/gap/TPPOnlineScoring/ResultsStroke.aspx?id=537&fid=1096&fgid=345

Michael,

Thanks for posting the scores.   It looks as though the field took a whuppin!

A week or two back Joe Bausch, Matt Frey, and I played from the tips and seeing the scores from yesterday I suddenly feel much better about my round that day!  ;)
"Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent" - Calvin Coolidge

https://cobbscreek.org/

Chris Roselle

Re: Berkshire CC (Reading, PA): a super fun Wille Park, Jr design
« Reply #26 on: June 04, 2015, 05:04:13 PM »

Chris,

What did the players think of the course today?
LOTS of low single-digit players shot mid-eighties and worse.  There's a 96 there!

If anyone is interested in the results:
http://www.ghintpp.com/gap/TPPOnlineScoring/ResultsStroke.aspx?id=537&fid=1096&fgid=345

Michael,

Thanks for posting the scores.   It looks as though the field took a whuppin!

A week or two back Joe Bausch, Matt Frey, and I played from the tips and seeing the scores from yesterday I suddenly feel much better about my round that day!  ;)

Guys, I was not present for the event as I was setting up Moselem Springs GC for another event that day.  All indications where the guys enjoyed the course but struggled with the severity of some of the putting surfaces.

Dan Herrmann

Re: Berkshire CC (Reading, PA): a super fun Willie Park, Jr design
« Reply #27 on: June 08, 2015, 06:57:14 PM »
I played Berkshire on Saturday and LOVED it!

I was really surprised to love it because aerials seem to show that many holes are straightaways.  That certainly isn't the case.

Some highlights:
#2 reminded me a bit of Merion East #7, mostly because the approach shot, short as it may be, requires precision to an elevated green, the surface of which you can't see. 

#6 was a wild par 3 with an elevated green and a bit of a claustrophobic tee shot.  But that's not a complaint - good design sometimes makes the golfer sweat!

#8, which Mike posted above is brilliant.  A PCC-like "Great Hazard" before the green.  The green itself is set low into a quarry.  One of the coolest holes I've ever seen. 

#11 - #14 - holes across the street.  It's like its own little world over there.   Loved #13 - I was about 60 yards out (don't ask) and hit a nice lob wedge about 15' above the hole.  The ball ever-so-slowly crept down the slope to about 3'.   Fun, fun, fun.

I also love the newly sodded approaches.  They bring the ground game into play.  You can putt, chip, or pitch.  Anything from a 3 wood to a putter on many given shots.  That's really good design.

The course also has a wonderful practice area, extremely friendly professional staff, and none of that "we're more important than you are" vibe you sometimes get from clubs.   

This is a club I'd easily play again and again - a great member's course.

Sure, it's not going to host a US Open.  It's not going to host a PGA Tour event.  It's not going to be on anybody's top 100 list.  But who cares????  Certainly not me, for Berkshire is one special golf course with some serious bones.

PS - Check out the view of the river from the 3rd tee (another cool hole).  You must be 50' above the Schuylkill.
PPS- RDG airport, about 1-2 miles away was having its annual WWII airshow.  We not only played an awesome golf course, we had our own private air show with B-17's B-25's, Mustangs, DC-3s, etc.   It was a great airshow.   Golf + WWII aircraft = a fantastic day!

MCirba

« Reply #28 on: June 08, 2015, 07:30:50 PM »
Glad you loved it Dan...I suspected you would. 
"Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent" - Calvin Coolidge

https://cobbscreek.org/

Tim Fenchel

« Reply #29 on: June 08, 2015, 09:05:08 PM »
This place sounds fantastic...and you are right...its location next to the river is great.  I drove by it today as our organization is hosting a weeklong paddling event on the Schuylkill.  My guess is anyone on the course over the weekend enjoyed the airshow more than the folks who paid for a ticket.  It's been fun reading this thread.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back