News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ran Morrissett

Our wedding trip was set a month before disembarking. And then ... trouble!

The Scot, Benjamin Warren, slipped past the guards and entered GCA world headquarters. At first, all seemed well and my non-golfing fiancé didn't mind his company as we were talking about his native North Berwick, a huge personal favorite of ours and one of our upcoming destinations. However, things got a bit dicey when he mentioned Goswick Golf Club near the border as a ‘must detour.’ (It turned out to be a very, very fine recommendation).

Later my fiancé mentioned we were honeymooning in Borve in the Outer Hebrides. The Scot exploded off the couch, sloshing Kyle Franz's drink. "You are kidding me, you have to be kidding me!" he kept repeating.  "One of the world's great nine holers is just down the road from you!"

Well ... though I was dutifully intrigued, lines of discountenance quickly gathered across my fiancé's otherwise lovely visage. 'RANDOLPH, you knew this all along! That's why you picked Borve for our honeymoon!' 'Not true,' I bleated as she marched out the door. Concerned for her well-being (and wondering if I would get dinner that night), I turned to Benjamin, 'So ... just how good is it?' On and on he went and this course profile now comes to pass.

This photo of my bride in the sixth fairway sums up the feeling of jubilation one gets at Scarista. There is no way to play here without a big smile plastered across your face.

Spiritually, its sister course would be - not surprisingly - Askernish GC, just 65 miles south on a different island. Fano in Denmark also comes to mind. In some ways, these majestic courses depress me as I wonder: what the hell we are doing elsewhere! Why do we incessantly junk up the game we supposedly love so dearly?

Here is the link:
http://golfclubatlas.com/courses-by-country/scotland/isle-of-harris-golf-club/

The Isle of Harris Golf Club is maintained by its Green Keeper, James Dunne. He gets help from the locals, as needed. Old Tom Morris would be proud. I get the sense that this was more of a pasture ~25 years ago but a series of club captains have helped transform it and brought it to the delicious level seen in the course profile. With Dunne's arrival , the course improved and is now the best it has ever been. I think we all would have known a lot more about it if it had traditionally been presented this well.

Anyway, Benjamin's secret is now out. The Isle of Harris GC and its course join Worlington, Culver, Morfontaine, The Dunes and Sweetens Cove as my favorite nine-holers. Each of these awesome places is a revelation and acts as a reminder that golf in most places began as 9 holes - maybe 18 holes are the game's blight?

Cheers,
« Last Edit: November 03, 2016, 05:29:29 AM by Ran Morrissett »

Tom_Doak

Re: Isle of Harris Golf Club profile now posted under Courses by Country
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2016, 03:37:26 PM »
Dude ... maybe you should take time to read these books you are contributing to!

Thomas Dai

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2016, 03:56:22 PM »
Wow😄 A terrific review of an amazing course and a wonderful location.

A couple of questions -

A) Did you play with your hickories?
B) In the photo is your wife.....congratulations by the way.....doing cartwheels or just being blown along by the wind!?

I note the comment about the ground game and the use of side slopes at HGC. A very astute comment and one not often mentioned when it comes to the subject of trajectory control and the art of flighting shots.

Adam has a thread going at the moment about a potential Askernish trip. I wonder if we could add a game to Harris GC at Scarista to it!?

Bingmap - https://binged.it/2eI6CQI

Streetview - https://www.instantstreetview.com/@57.827633,-7.037548,343.03h,-2.23p,1z

Atb

« Last Edit: October 23, 2016, 05:16:49 PM by Thomas Dai »

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2016, 04:35:13 PM »
A fine review Ran and a great location for a honeymoon especially with the great weather this autumn in the Highlands. Harris is a wonderful example about all that is best in traditional, Scottish golf and it is one of many such gems that are scattered across the region. It is a shame that so few take the time to stop and smell the roses.

Jon

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2016, 05:10:27 PM »
Dude ... maybe you should take time to read these books you are contributing to!
;D
I don't know why exactly, but reading Tom D call Ran M "dude" had me laughing my head off.

The intimation that Ran hasn't read the CG was just icing on the cake...

Ran Morrissett

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2016, 06:50:30 PM »
Tom,

Would you believe that I was too busy savoring Volume 3 to re-read Volume 1?  8)

Thomas,

No, the club has rental sets. Flying on Flybe Airline with loads of luggage (like a wedding dress) gets expensive.

John Kirk

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2016, 07:08:07 PM »
Nice profile.  It pales in comparison to the fact that your wife is turning cartwheels on your honeymoon.

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2016, 03:44:23 AM »
Wow😄 A terrific review of an amazing course and a wonderful location.

A couple of questions -

A) Did you play with your hickories?
B) In the photo is your wife.....congratulations by the way.....doing cartwheels or just being blown along by the wind!?

I note the comment about the ground game and the use of side slopes at HGC. A very astute comment and one not often mentioned when it comes to the subject of trajectory control and the art of flighting shots.

Adam has a thread going at the moment about a potential Askernish trip. I wonder if we could add a game to Harris GC at Scarista to it!?

There are ways and means. You can fly from Benbecula to Stornoway, or alternatively get the ferry from Leverburgh at the southern tip of Harris to Bernerary, from where causeways connect you to North Uist, then Benbecula, then South Uist. But it will not be straightforward unless you have your own car with you, or I suppose a rental.

I've been to Scarista some years ago, though I didn't play, and have flagged it up on here before as a very, very beautiful spot when the weather is OK. Scarista House always used to be an excellent restaurant with rooms, I don't know whether it still is. I love the story about the Faldo fiver.

Harris and Lewis are one island. Once you go there, you're making it a significantly more substantial trip, but there's quite a lot to see. The stone circle at Callanish is remarkable.
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2016, 07:51:28 AM »
I would love to join this trek but sadly not next year.

Here’s the soundtrack.  You’ll love it or think I’ve now totally lost it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Just_Another_Diamond_Day

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ujx6F1dvzJI 

PS Ran thanks for the link and congratulations to the pair of you.
Let's make GCA grate again!

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2016, 12:15:43 PM »
Tony,

there may well be people who think you have lost it but you can always tell them that at least you had something to lose ;)

Jon

James Boon

« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2016, 04:17:46 PM »
Thanks Ran,

A wonderful profile.

I have had the fortune of venturing to the Western Isles, where I did play Askernish, but I didnt play Isle of Harris. We drove past and stopped briefly, and looking out over the links I instantly regretted not being able to play, but we had a ferry to catch to Berneray... I have since known that I will return one day to play Isle of Harris, but now I've seen this I profile I hope it will be soon!

Adam has mentioned Callanish. Other things to look out for on Lewis and Harris are Gearranan blackhouse village (you can stay there self catering), Dun Carloway broch, and of the many beaches including Scarista just down from the golf club, Camas Uig on the west coast is spectacular and also where the Lewis Chessmen were discovered.

Cheers,

James

ps Congratulations Ran to you and your new wife. At least she knows what she's let herself in for with a trip like this...  ;)
« Last Edit: October 26, 2016, 03:08:30 AM by James Boon »
2023 Highlights: Hollinwell (Notts), Brora, Aberdovey, Royal St Davids, Woodhall Spa, Broadstone, Parkstone, Cleeve, Painswick, Minchinhampton, Hoylake

"It celebrates the unadulterated pleasure of being in a dialogue with nature while knocking a ball round on foot." Richard Pennell

Malcolm Mckinnon

« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2016, 12:17:16 AM »
Ran,

Best to you both!

[/size]Slàinte![/color]

John Mayhugh

« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2016, 10:19:01 PM »
Golf is especially fascinating when you do away with standardization and "fairness."  Thanks for this tour and congratulations on the nuptials. 

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back