News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

jonathan_becker

Perpendicular fairway bunkers
« on: October 01, 2014, 08:47:55 AM »
Here's the 13th hole at Sleepy Hollow in New York.  Where else has this been done with two fairway bunkers creating a 90* angle?  It looks pretty cool.

Photo credit - Dr Joe Bausch

jonathan_becker

Re: Perpendicular fairway bunkers
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2014, 09:26:29 AM »
In this instance, getting the ball as close to the intersection point off the tee gives the cleanest look on the approach.  It makes sense on this hole.

Good placement or not though, I'm having a tough time thinking of any other course that has this feature.

Adam Clayman

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2014, 10:47:27 AM »
Jonathan, Pebble Beach has several examples of this. Granted, they aren't in the same angular style. Softer, more Elbow esque. Lawsonia, is another course that does have the angular style and quite a few perpendicular cross carries.

« Last Edit: October 01, 2014, 10:56:51 AM by Adam Clayman »
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

jonathan_becker

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2014, 11:17:02 AM »
Thanks for the post, Adam.  Pebble came to mind as did NGLA in spots, but it was the actual 90* angle of the two bunkers intersecting that caught me off guard with the Sleepy Hollow hole.  That's what I'm looking for!

Matt Frey, PGA

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2014, 11:45:08 AM »
Here is an example at the Country Club of Fairfield:

jonathan_becker

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2014, 12:04:35 PM »
That might not be exactly 90* but it's close enough, Matt.   ;) :)  Thanks for the aerial

Lester George

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2014, 06:04:45 PM »
The Old White at the Greenbrier has many examples of this.  The Contentment Golf Club we will build in NC will also be rich with this philosophy.

Lester

Bill_McBride

« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2014, 07:08:15 PM »
The Old White at the Greenbrier has many examples of this.  The Contentment Golf Club we will build in NC will also be rich with this philosophy.

Lester

Pretty cool that you have to demonstrate both accuracy AND distance control for position A.  Usually it's one or the other. 

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2014, 07:34:10 PM »
Jonathan,

I am wracking my brain to recall the specifics, but I think I have seen this on a fair number of old aerials of MacRayBanks courses.

It's a very distinctive feature and therefore one I recall -- but only vaguely.  :-[

So Lester, what's the philosophy?
Charlotte. Daniel. Olivia. Josephine. Ana. Dylan. Madeleine. Catherine. Chase. Jesse. James. Grace. Emilie. Jack. Noah. Caroline. Jessica. Benjamin. Avielle. Allison.

jonathan_becker

« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2014, 08:38:20 AM »
Lester,

Thanks for the post.  Old White has many perpendicular fw bunkers to the lines of play but I'm looking for that and the added fw bunker parallel with the length of the hole that creates the 90* angle. 

Mark B,

Here's a shot of the same hole from 2007.  It appears that Hanse/Bahto restored the 90* angle in the summer of 2007.  I haven't looked at historical aerials of SHCC but you might be correct in that you've seen this before.  It's just how many of these type of 90* intersecting fw bunkers are still out there in their original form or have been restored in recent times?  Not many at all based on google earth images of the CBM courses I've looked at this week.  I've been looking because I'm going on a short CBM binge in the near future.  The Sleepy Hollow 13th hole definitely caught my interest.

Mark McKeever

« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2014, 09:27:23 AM »
First hole at Plainfield is a great Ross example.

MM
Best MGA showers - Bayonne

"Dude, he's a total d***"

Carl Nichols

« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2014, 04:11:03 PM »
I think 9 or 18 at Shoreacres has something like this.

Dan Kelly

« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2014, 04:21:23 PM »
Not sure how many of you are following Pat Craig's thread on Town & Country Club (St. Paul, Minnesota), but take a look at all of the bunker shapes and arrangements (including perpendicular) in this early aerial photo:

"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

Scott McWethy

« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2014, 05:10:14 PM »
I recall Kittansett having a few great holes with perpendicular fairway bunkers.  They really threw me off my game the first time I played there as I had a hard time gauging the yardages to carry.  I don't have pictures of the course but I'm sure you can find some aerial photos somewhere.

Steve Salmen

« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2014, 05:25:44 PM »
Muirfield in Scotland has several.  In fact, there is one bunker on the 8th hole that is roughly L shaped, 90 degrees so it lies both parallel and perpendicular to the fairway.

I have often wondered in CBM was influenced by the bunkering and some of the greens that fall off sharply like #12 at Muirfield.  For some reason, I am reminded of Muirfield bunkers when I see his courses. 

Someone please correct me if I am wrong because I have no evidence to support this claim.

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2014, 05:27:49 PM »
Jonathan,

Checked my files last night and found a number of holes with the "L" bunkering configuration but seen from the tee they were all either "L" or reversed "L". (Such an "L" can be found on the 5th and 12th holes of the original NGLA.) Couldn't find any perfect, upside down "L"s like Sleepy Hollow's. The closest I came was the 10th at Oakland, an NLE Raynor:

Actually, go through this routing -- there are a number of very interesting "L"-ish configurations, but they tend to be of the type I mentioned earlier, for example 4 and 6.

But I will keep looking...
Charlotte. Daniel. Olivia. Josephine. Ana. Dylan. Madeleine. Catherine. Chase. Jesse. James. Grace. Emilie. Jack. Noah. Caroline. Jessica. Benjamin. Avielle. Allison.

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2014, 05:29:10 PM »
Two quick asides: 1) - someone should hire Joe Bausch to take photos for their yardage books/hole profiles/web sites. In the original post, Joe's photo is so much more appealing -- and somehow much more 'informative' --  than the computer-generated one above it, even with all the extra details the latter provides.  2) With each passing year, my earlier prejudices against that look/style of design fade more and more away; that is one heck of an attractive course, and those perpendicular bunkers make a lot of sense.

Peter

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back