News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Grant Saunders

The Lure of Potential and Possibilities
« on: October 01, 2014, 04:14:06 AM »
When evaluating courses, is it fair or reasonable to factor into your view the “potential” of a course or site?

There is a course in NZ that I do give a strong rating based on its current merits. The potential of the course to rate much higher (in my view) is so strong though that I feel it can almost skew how I find myself assessing as it exists now. Possibly I believe that I may in fact be giving this course more credit than it deserves due to the seduction of its “potential”.

This particular course is currently being let down by its lack of resources which translate into maintenance setbacks but also, the surrounding land is incredibly alluring. It is easy to be there and spend more time daydreaming about the holes you think you could find rather than focusing on what you are playing. I do feel that the current course is very good but I do also feel that, on reflection, the promise of how good it could be does reduce the subjectivity of my evaluation.

So, how much weight should “potential” carry?

Greg Smith

Re: The Lure of Potential and Possibilities
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2014, 07:24:22 AM »
When evaluating courses, is it fair or reasonable to factor into your view the “potential” of a course or site?

There is a course in NZ that I do give a strong rating based on its current merits. The potential of the course to rate much higher (in my view) is so strong though that I feel it can almost skew how I find myself assessing as it exists now. Possibly I believe that I may in fact be giving this course more credit than it deserves due to the seduction of its “potential”.

This particular course is currently being let down by its lack of resources which translate into maintenance setbacks but also, the surrounding land is incredibly alluring. It is easy to be there and spend more time daydreaming about the holes you think you could find rather than focusing on what you are playing. I do feel that the current course is very good but I do also feel that, on reflection, the promise of how good it could be does reduce the subjectivity of my evaluation.

So, how much weight should “potential” carry?

For the purposes of being a course rater, not a lot IMHO.  What is on the ground at the time, design-wise, is what was designed.  Those are the holes one has to rate, yes?

But I think "potential" should carry a lot of weight when considering where to pursue a membership, for example.  If sticking around as a member could eventually give one a greater voice regarding future projects or the ultimate fate of the property, such things are more than applicable.

If one is an architect deciding whether to accept a particular assignment or a landowner deciding on whether to build a golf course, "potential" might very well carry all the weight.
O fools!  who drudge from morn til night
And dream your way of life is wise,
Come hither!  prove a happier plight,
The golfer lives in Paradise!                      

John Somerville, The Ballade of the Links at Rye (1898)

Tom Kelly

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2014, 10:20:31 AM »
I try not to, but it seems every course I see I end up thinking alot of the potential of the site/routing and it inevitably effects my opinion of the place for better or worse. I hate seeing places where the potential is wasted by laziness or poorly thought out work but love to see places that offer an insight into what could be possible if more money/time was available.

I think I factor potential into my course ratings. rankings/opinions depending on who I am talking to. Some golfers will only see what is in front of them so potential is pointless to talk about, whilst others will love seeing the little things that could be changed to make the place better so the 'potential' will be an enjoyable part of experiencing the course.

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2014, 10:39:29 AM »
If the object of the exercise is some sort of course list for a magazine, then it's all about the course, the output. (After the advertisers I mean.)  There should be no grading on a curve when it comes to *course* lists.

But out here in the real world that's not how real people do things. Value for money, overall experience, etc: there are always modifiers and qualifiers made by human beings.

And, of course, VORD sits at the top:
http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,32487.msg641375/topicseen.html#msg641375
Charlotte. Daniel. Olivia. Josephine. Ana. Dylan. Madeleine. Catherine. Chase. Jesse. James. Grace. Emilie. Jack. Noah. Caroline. Jessica. Benjamin. Avielle. Allison.

Mike Hendren

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2014, 10:40:16 AM »
It is plenty difficult enough to evaluate what's there.  Few among us can evaluate what might have been.  Even the best critics are not playwrights.  

Bogey
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Sean_A

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2014, 12:33:29 PM »
I definitely think of possibilities if what is on offer is really straight forward - that usually means cut the rough, widen the fairways, thin out the trees and liven up the bunkers.  Sometimes I do wonder why courses don't balance the hazards when I see a ton of sand :o  Sometimes when I see a place like Enville with 36 holes, splitting the best land among two sites, I do wonder, but I wouldn't chunk down a course for my personal preference of possibly getting one really good course rather two good courses. 

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Dunfanaghy, Fraserburgh, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

RJ_Daley

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2014, 02:15:18 PM »
I am not a rater and thus I have no concern whether my seeing or imagining the potential is somehow fair or valid as having a specific function of why I look at courses in certain ways.   If one is trying to be true to the task of rating a course, one should evaluate as to what is clearly there at the time, and issues of maintenance or current seasonal conditions should only play a specific and clearly defined aspect of one's ratings, stated as such in the rating.

But I was first attracted to this entire GCA subject based on seeing or imagining potential in both existing courses and raw land.  I made a personal study of construction techniques and and turf science and maintenance practices because the subjects fascinated me based on what were the possibilities and what were the remarkable and meritorious aspects and features of projects through history that were completed and revered, and why.

I never just play a course- no matter what course- and not see and imagine what in my own amateur and marginally educated mind may suggest alternative potential.   Even the finest and most revered classic courses have aspects I find myself thinking about alternatives to things from grading and green shapes, FW angles and construction, to where drainage may or may not be, to the maintenance meld to the extent I can understand the technicalities.  As a matter of fact, I had a cooks tour this year with the Superintendent of SHGC where we looked at on-going works in progress of turf maintenance and practices to some tweaking and cleaning up of bunker construction.  We discussed both retaining the vision and lost potentials if certain practices are not done and maintained or implemented.  I just love that stuff!   

Even playing RM, KH and Barneygoogles this year, I played all courses with an eye towards 'potential' both as things that can go on to lose vision and thus restrict potential, and even with an eye on what I might have done differently.  When dealing with an historical and iconic classic gem, I would not have the temerity to tamper with it if I were in a position of course/club decision making without deep serious study of the historical implications, preservation of the classic ideals that are deployed in the original vision of the archie, and what must be done to preserve.  Yet, nothing stands still or frozen in time.  Potential and eventuality of decline in aspects of a living tract of land must be managed and alterations are inevitable.  So one needs both a critical, educated and sensitive eye as to potential.

I love walking raw land and evaluating its potential. I have been doing this for years with topo maps in hand, scouring properties where I have had the chance, imagining and evaluating potential.  This is the sort of activity that keeps me here on GCA.com for all these years. 

No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back