News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

cary lichtenstein

US Open Conditions and you
« on: June 13, 2018, 04:56:34 PM »
I played Baltustrol the day after the US Open, this was years ago, way before the internet and I was totally naive about how US Open courses are set up. As a 4 handicap at the time, my goal in playing any golf course was to always break 80 if I could. I still remember my first drive at the opening hole of Baltustrol, about 4 inches into the rough on the right side of the fairway. The rough was extremely long, and my ball was sitting on top, the grass facing the hole. I thought I'd picket off with a 4-iron and moved it about 18 inches. That was my introduction to US Open rough.

My questions for you are:
1. Do you enjoy paying a great course under these adverse conditions for scoring on a scale of 1-10?
2. Can you separate the difficulty of playing it personally that day with the USGA's setup
3. If you could play the last 10 US Open course on Monday after the US Open, would you?
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

BHoover

Re: US Open Conditions and you
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2018, 05:05:59 PM »
1. No, not on a daily basis
2. Yes
3. Yes, without a doubt

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2018, 05:18:37 PM »
I just played in an invitational where the greens were rolled in the morning, again before the afternoon round and one final time at 6pm before the shoot-out. I loved it so much that I'm finding little desire to play slow greens again.

It's like that first time you park a new car in a Walmart parking lot. The pain of the first push cart induced ding goes away as you go ass deep in rich corinthian leather. I'm not going to give up on the good things in life because they are difficult.

Ira Fishman

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2018, 06:16:54 PM »
I have been lucky to do it twice:

Congressional 1997 (Tuesday)
Pinehurst 2005 (Thursday) so not quite Open conditions.

I have never even whiffed being a 4, but I would do it again without question.  Collecting memories is a positive part of life.

Ira

Tom_Doak

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2018, 09:04:48 PM »
I'm not sure there is a player in the field at the US Open who really enjoys playing out of US Open rough and Open setup.  They are there to compete, not to enjoy.

I'm out to enjoy, so
1. I would enjoy those conditions only 1 or 2 out of 10.  (I don't mind putting on fast greens but I don't seek them out.)

2.  Sure, I can appreciate it's an entirely different deal.

3.  No.  Fortunately I have played all of these courses 20 or 30 years ago when they were presented better, and when I could also play better.  (Well, except for Chambers Bay and Erin Hills, which I'd be happy to skip.)

Sean_A

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2018, 09:22:51 PM »
1. Do you enjoy paying a great course under these adverse conditions for scoring on a scale of 1-10?

Depends on the course.  I enjoyed Merion despite silly rough, but it wasn't as bas as US Open rough. I didn't enjoy Oakland or Pinehurst #2 (pre-resoration) as much.

2. Can you separate the difficulty of playing it personally that day with the USGA's setup

Yep, I understand that a US Open setup is a different deal and why...I just disagree with the concept of "prepping" a course in this manner for a championship.

3. If you could play the last 10 US Open course on Monday after the US Open, would you?

Sure, I would like to play Oakmont, Pebble, Pinehurst #2 & Chambers Bay, but then I would like to play them any day.

Ciao
« Last Edit: June 13, 2018, 09:47:58 PM by Sean_A »
New plays planned for 2024: Dunfanaghy, Fraserburgh, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Jeff Tang

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2018, 09:37:15 PM »
I haven’t played after a US Open, but I did play the day after the Western Open at Cog Hill, and I thought the rough there was brutal. I can imagine the US Open would be far worse. As tough as the rough was that day, I think -16 still won the tourney and I remember thinking just how good the pros are.

However, I also remember thinking that part of the difficulty for me was just that I wasn’t used to the conditions. While I know that the pro set ups are far more difficult than what I would normally play, I do think that after being exposed to those conditions week after week that one would get better at it and be able to develop effective strategies for dealing with difficult set ups.
So bad it's good!

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2018, 10:12:05 PM »
Nothing negates the advantages of youth like tight fairways and firm and fast greens. As an old man I'll take those conditions every day.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2018, 10:32:48 PM »
Nothing negates the advantages of youth like tight fairways and firm and fast greens. As an old man I'll take those conditions every day.

So then how come older players keep contending and even winning The Open but young guys have dominated recent U.S. Opens?

It seems to me that firm and fast fairways and shorter courses are what give the old guys a chance. 

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2018, 08:43:07 AM »
Because in the US Open they don't let old men play the Senior tees.

Rick Lane

« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2018, 09:39:45 AM »

My questions for you are:

Have done this two times, Muirfield VIllage, Bay Hill.
1) Enjoyed the experience, not looking to score in those conditions.   
2) Absolutely can separate it.  Actually play "differently", as the rough is so penal, less drivers, try to keep it in fairway, maybe even "layup" on par fours and try to putt for par.
3) No question.    Unique, hard to find experience, its what life is about.

David Davis

« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2018, 10:03:19 AM »
My questions for you are:1. Do you enjoy paying a great course under these adverse conditions for scoring on a scale of 1-10?

Most of us don't have that many chances in life to play what I'd consider a great course....ie Shinny or Merion for example so I would jump at the opportunity just to walk the course and try...I'm not going to be playing for a score as I know it's set up way too hard for me. I'm just going to try and have fun and do my best. ie...hit into the rough take out a wedge and get it back into play. I would enjoy the experience even just walking so yes 10 here for me. So what I have to pick up a few times.

Oh definitely yes, pros are pros for a reason, hacks are hacks. I know were I belong and can laugh it off. Sure I'd rather play it under normal human conditions like everyone else but if the option was get to experience at near impossible conditions or not at all, I'd take near impossible everyday.

Out of the last 10 I could probably skip Erin Hills, Olympic Club and Congressional and not be too bothered. The rest of the courses I quite like so yes.[/size][/font]
Sharing the greatest experiences in golf.

IG: @top100golftraveler
www.lockharttravelclub.com

Thomas Dai

« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2018, 11:33:08 AM »
1) yes, although on an occasional basis only and not in the rain behind a 4-ball of slowcoaches!
2) yes
3) from the same tees with the same carries? No way!.......but.........I would absolitely love to play any/all Major Championship courses or any/all Tour set-up courses from say within 150 yds of the greens and even more so from within 20 yards of the green including on the putting surfaces.
Atb
« Last Edit: June 14, 2018, 11:36:01 AM by Thomas Dai »

George Pazin

« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2018, 02:19:18 PM »
I wonder how many can really recognize US Open conditions. Playing the day after is certainly close, as close as most will get. But even then, I was told by a friend who worked the grounds crew at Oakmont in 94 that they were literally following the last group around, watering the greens as they finished.

Having said all that, sign me up for whatever...
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Jeff Evagues

« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2018, 02:31:01 PM »
I played TPC Scottsdale the day after a few years ago. I know its not a US Open setup but what I saw mostly was how perfect the greens were. It was almost hard to miss the hole. If I could putt on greens like that instead of the public courses I play I'd make a lot more putts.
Be the ball

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2018, 09:49:28 PM »
I played Eastmoreland (Portland, OR) in 1990 the day after the USGA Publinx.   Wow, just wow.

I had played it many times and usually shot 80-85.   Not on this day - I don't think I broke 100...

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2018, 10:31:53 PM »
Shinnecock is hard on an average day. Even if the USGA toned it down slightly its going to be hard.

Having belonged to Olympic for 20 years the US Open setup doesn't happen overnight. Playing the course for the months leading up to the tournament is a grind. Often the rough is longer than the tournament and the USGA then starts cutting it back.

1. No
2. Yes
3. No

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back