News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Sean_A

Re: CARLOW GC - Classic Design in the Irish midlands - PHOTO tour New
« Reply #25 on: June 24, 2018, 04:31:09 AM »
Speaking of Carlow...I brought this old tour back because of Ally's comments on another thread.

I think you are right about reverse doglegs...or the landing zone needs to be very wide...or cheatable on the inside.  These holes must be hard to pull off because I see many bad examples.

Ciao
« Last Edit: August 05, 2019, 03:02:51 AM by Sean_A »
New plays planned for 2024: Dunfanaghy, Fraserburgh, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Keith Durrant

Re: CARLOW GC - Classic Design in the Irish midlands - PHOTO tour
« Reply #26 on: June 24, 2018, 05:39:06 PM »
Thanks for posting the photos - thoroughly enjoyed my round there, 20 years ago. Holes 7, 16 and 17  stick in the mind, with great movement in the land giving a links-like feel.

Dónal Ó Ceallaigh

« Reply #27 on: June 25, 2018, 07:17:53 PM »
Surprised that I missed this photo tour the first time around. Great photos that bring back memories.

Played it way back in 1985 and have never forgotten the 16th. I also remember a very good hole on the top of the hill early in the second nine; it looks like the 12th in your pictures. Was a tough course, but also a good one. I'd put it in the same league as Malone and Belvoir Park. Definitely worth playing.

Had a quick look in the book titled "The Pocket Guide to Golf Courses Ireland" (which is a really nice book by William Fforde, Peter Millhouse and the former pro Greg Turner) and they mention Cecil Barcroft (1922), Hawtree & Taylor, then some changes in 1931 from discussions with Alistair Mackenzie, Simpson & Gourlay (1936), some more minor changes in 1940 possibly on recommendations by John Morrison and finally Donald Steele (1984) with modifications to holes 10 & 18. According to William Gibson's book (taken from The Irish Golfer's Blue Book 1939), Simpson (no mention of Gourlay) re-designed ten greens in 1937.

Padraig: did you break 70? According to Frank Pennink "few of the cream of amateur golfers in Ireland manage to break 70 in the Midland Scratch Cup." ;D :D

PS. Just found (had a hunch I had something on Carlow, but couldn't remember) that I have a book on Carlow titled "The Captain's Table - Carlow Golf Club 1899-2004" by Séamus Connellan. Will have a look in it and report back.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2018, 07:22:06 PM by Dónal Ó Ceallaigh »

Dónal Ó Ceallaigh

« Reply #28 on: June 25, 2018, 07:49:08 PM »
Which would be other older Irish inland courses of note, ie not modern generation big-name/big-money/resort ventures?
atb

Thomas,

I've played Carlow, Malone (from the 1960s; not the Mackenzie course), Belvoir Park (Colt), Lisburn, and Mullingar (Braid). I think Lisburn is from the 1970s by one of the Hawtrees, but the others are old. I enjoyed Mullingar, especially the par 3 second hole. I've heard that the Castle (can't remember if it's a Colt design or not) in Dublin city is also quite good.

I haven't played Birr, but I've seen a few photos and it looks quite interesting as it's hilly in spots.

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #29 on: August 05, 2019, 02:36:50 AM »
Tom Doak and Tommy Williamson asking about Carlow on another thread so I’ll bump this one as a reminder.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back