News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

David_Tepper

OT - Women's British Open @ Woburn
« on: August 04, 2019, 08:12:26 PM »
I hope I am not the only one who watched the final round of the WBO today. Given the frequent comments here about how boring it is to watch the men play, today's golf from Woburn produced some of the most entertaining golf I have seen on TV in quite some time. While the course is parkland & tree-lined, I did think there were several interesting holes with features that produced some big-time shots.

The club & courses at Woburn hardly ever get mentioned here. What sort of a place is it? Totally commercial & corporate or something else?

Tommy Williamsen

Re: OT - Women's British Open @ Woburn
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2019, 08:54:55 PM »
I played the Duke's course about ten years ago. It is a parkland course not unlike many you would find in the US.
woburn is a very busy place. I know most her would rather cut a tree down than plant one, but I liked the trees on the course. The bunkering was ok and the course is in good condition. I liked a couple of the par threes. The third hole par three is just stunning. Unfortunately the last hole is pretty weak. I'm glad I played but but don't need to go back.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

V_Halyard

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2019, 11:01:29 PM »
I agree. It was a magnetic show.  I have a buddy new-ish to golf who shared:
"I thought these Opens were all played on a "Link"(sic) course?" Play was impressive.
Women’s British Open Champion Hinako Shibuno played and won so fast, the LPGA app didn’t even have a profile picture of her. Her pace of play, as well as PoP of Charley Hull should be required viewing by everybody in the AJGA... maybe everyone in golf. Pace-of-Play  =  Pace-of-Win
« Last Edit: August 04, 2019, 11:09:20 PM by V_Halyard »
"It's a tiny little ball that doesn't even move... how hard could it be?"  I will walk and carry 'til I can't... or look (really) stupid.

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2019, 05:33:34 AM »
Good call David, I've paid to watch golf this summer (Now TV) because there's been a run of links.

But I watched the final round from Valderama a few weeks ago and yesterday's and really enjoyed both.  Perhaps because I don't have favourites its easier to cheer for whoever is playing well. And it was easy to cheer for Shibuno.

https://www.geoffshackelford.com/

Also they hit shots I can (often) relate to, with a lot more variety. Is there anything duller than seeing three guys hit suck back wedges into the same green? I expect to enjoy watching the Women play The Renaissance Club this week more than I did watching the men play it a few weeks ago.

Let's make GCA grate again!

Bill Shamleffer

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2019, 08:55:00 AM »
Best major (men, women, seniors) I watched all year.

Also, I like that the Women's & Senior Opens (& the mens' & women's Ams) use both Links courses and inland courses.  I hope this practice does not end.
“The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but that's the way to bet.”  Damon Runyon

David_Tepper

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2019, 09:18:16 AM »
v Halyard -

You can tell your friend that Ms. Shibuno also thought the tournament was going to be played on a links. ;)

DT

V_Halyard

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2019, 09:40:34 AM »
v Halyard -

You can tell your friend that Ms. Shibuno also thought the tournament was going to be played on a links. ;)

DT
Haha. The true story irony here is that my friend sent me nearly the identical message. "See, she thought she was playing one of those link(sic) courses too. It's not just me!" 
"It's a tiny little ball that doesn't even move... how hard could it be?"  I will walk and carry 'til I can't... or look (really) stupid.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back