News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Garland Bayley

Re: What course is the most Polarizing?
« Reply #75 on: November 24, 2009, 10:23:52 AM »
I think Tetherow in Bend is probably the most polarizing course I have played in Oregon.

I know a few people who love it, and I have read several reviews requesting that it be plowed under and rebuilt, which I thought was pretty harsh.

The reviews on GCA were also pretty warm fuzzy or PO'd.

I understand both perspectives.

Sandpines is polarizing? I do not recall hearing from anyone who was not hugely disappointed and often frustrated, or even angry, after playing there. :)

Rob,

You need to read more Pat Mucci. As I recall, he was one of the strong supporters of Sandpines.
;)
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Jud_T

« Reply #76 on: November 24, 2009, 10:35:59 AM »
Why-the Polaroid Cup Golf courses of course!:

http://www.nytimes.com/1987/10/18/sports/results-plus-433387.html
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Mike Wagner

« Reply #77 on: November 24, 2009, 11:47:04 AM »
Chambers Bay.  I don't get it, but countless folks up here hate it.  I absolutely love it, so the main gripe must be the condition.  I heard a pro call it "unfair...and the worst course he's ever seen" the other day. 

Chuck Brown

« Reply #78 on: November 24, 2009, 12:40:03 PM »
Kingsley??? Who doesn't like it? Sure there are holes (#9, #9, #9...) that will cause great anxiety in the scorecard and pencil set, and you can debate how high it should be in the rankings, but I can't imagine anyone thinking it wasn't a really fun place to spend an afternoon's match (and a morning and evening match for that matter  8))

As complainant-in-chief on #9, I'd have to say that Kingsley is universally admired by those who know it.  I mostly loved it.

Now that we've cleared that up, do you mind if I tell you about the 9th? :-\

Chuck Brown

« Reply #79 on: November 24, 2009, 12:43:35 PM »
Kingsley??? Who doesn't like it? Sure there are holes (#9, #9, #9...) that will cause great anxiety in the scorecard and pencil set, and you can debate how high it should be in the rankings, but I can't imagine anyone thinking it wasn't a really fun place to spend an afternoon's match (and a morning and evening match for that matter  8))

As complainant-in-chief on #9, I'd have to say that Kingsley is universally admired by those who know it.  I mostly loved it.

Now that we've cleared that up, do you mind if I tell you about the 9th? :-\

I see that someone has beaten me to the obvious; for reasons unintended by the OP, I think we've proven beyond doubt that "Merion" is the most polarizing golf course design in this galaxy.

Jud_T

« Reply #80 on: November 24, 2009, 01:21:08 PM »
Chuck,

You don't have to tell me about #9...We came to the ninth all square, and like idiots both went right for the pin..I parred it and my buddy, a 7, walked off with a 13!!!   :o
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Mike Demetriou

« Reply #81 on: November 24, 2009, 02:39:58 PM »
I would definitely agree with Tim Bert. Arcadia for sure. I know many people who love it, but I cannot understand why.

Steve Okula

« Reply #82 on: November 24, 2009, 03:14:18 PM »
I nominate Tromsų Golfpark at Breivikeidet near Tromsų, Norway  (69°39′30″N 19°37′00″E) nearest the North Pole, and Ushuaia  Golf Club, Tierra del Fuego, Argentina, (don't have coordinates) as closest to the South Pole.
The small wheel turns by the fire and rod,
the big wheel turns by the grace of God.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #83 on: November 24, 2009, 03:25:33 PM »
I would definitely agree with Tim Bert. Arcadia for sure. I know many people who love it, but I cannot understand why.

Probably for the same reason most people oogle over Torrey Pines South..

And I suspect Arcadia is a far better course than TPSouth...

Anthony Gray

« Reply #84 on: November 24, 2009, 03:58:13 PM »
Chambers Bay.  I don't get it, but countless folks up here hate it.  I absolutely love it, so the main gripe must be the condition.  I heard a pro call it "unfair...and the worst course he's ever seen" the other day. 

Easily played with one ball. Fun.

ARG

Jud_T

« Reply #85 on: November 24, 2009, 05:00:29 PM »
Agree as well that Arcadia is probably a bit overrated because of the views, but I wouldn't call it polarizing. 

Mike Demetriou

« Reply #86 on: November 25, 2009, 10:13:05 AM »
Agree as well that Arcadia is probably a bit overrated because of the views, but I wouldn't call it polarizing. 

Jud, I respectfully disagree. I've played there twice, once with 7 dear friends. Three of us HATE it. We agreed that if given 10 rounds to apportion between Kingsley and Arcadia, (as was the case on my most recent trip), we would elect to play Arcadia ZERO times, unless it was free, which it most certainly isn't.  Two players LOVED the course, and might be inclined to bestow 4 or 5 rounds out of ten.

Practically speaking, in my horribly representative peer sample, it was the very definition of polarizing. Kalen is right, the views sucker people in, and they are stunning views, but the layout, routing, and the 10th hole in particular (which in my relatively nascent career is the WORST hole in America) leave a great deal to be desired.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2009, 10:49:34 AM by Mike Demetriou »

Jud_T

« Reply #87 on: November 25, 2009, 10:29:46 AM »
Mike,

I would also choose to play all 10 rounds at Kingsley, but not because I loathe Arcadia!!   ;D

Mike Demetriou

« Reply #88 on: November 25, 2009, 10:54:23 AM »
ya, it is probably not good logic to use the 10 round test, not to mention the fact that I'm biased. Regardless, the sentiment is adequately expressed - Arcadia has some real fans out there, which I cannot understand from a GCA perspective. I give it a 4 on the Doak Scale. (As a refresher: A modestly interesting course, with a couple of distinctive holes among the 18, or at least some scenic interest and decent golf. Also reserved for some very good courses that are much too short and narrow to provide sufficient challenge for accomplished golfers.) And I think I'm being generous.

Many people on this site consider this course to be a special course. I suspect that there are a great deal of votes on either side of the spectrum, and perhaps more so than equivocal votes.

Jerry Kluger

« Reply #89 on: November 25, 2009, 11:16:36 AM »
I would suggest that the courses which are the most polarizing to the vast majority of golfers are those which are designed to play firm and fast with undulating greens.  Most of us on this site love those courses but the vast majority of golfers want green fairways and soft greens that are easy to read.  Playing a course like Ballyneal on a somewhat windy day would be an absolutely horrible experience to them.  The rest of us would love it. 

Matt Bielawa

« Reply #90 on: September 24, 2014, 04:00:16 PM »
I thought this thread was an amusing find and worth bringing back out, in the light of the Doak 0 thread and Mr. Kavanaugh calling Tobacco Road a 0.  Funny that the Castle Course was brought up here as well.

I'd say Tobacco Road is definitely a polarizing course (I'd call it a 6 or 7 on the Doak Scale).  Arcadia Bluffs seems to divide people as well.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #91 on: September 24, 2014, 10:15:17 PM »
Matt:

I'm actually fine with courses that are polarizing.  Many great courses have been polarizing at the outset.  Tobacco Road is a good example.

I'm not sure The Castle Course really qualifies, though.  There are certainly many posters who have said they thought it was fine.  There are many more who just don't think any course should be rated a "0", or who have accused me of a personal bias toward David Kidd or his work, which isn't true at all.  But if someone has said they thought the course was outstanding, or a 7 on my scale, I have missed that.

Tim_Weiman

« Reply #92 on: September 25, 2014, 12:25:54 AM »

Jud, I respectfully disagree. I've played there twice, once with 7 dear friends. Three of us HATE it. We agreed that if given 10 rounds to apportion between Kingsley and Arcadia, (as was the case on my most recent trip), we would elect to play Arcadia ZERO times, unless it was free, which it most certainly isn't.  Two players LOVED the course, and might be inclined to bestow 4 or 5 rounds out of ten.

Practically speaking, in my horribly representative peer sample, it was the very definition of polarizing. Kalen is right, the views sucker people in, and they are stunning views, but the layout, routing, and the 10th hole in particular (which in my relatively nascent career is the WORST hole in America) leave a great deal to be desired.

Mike D:

I agree with you. Acadia can be very polarizing.
Tim Weiman

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back