News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Brad Tufts

Re: Getting Back to My Old Schedule
« Reply #25 on: September 25, 2014, 11:54:14 PM »
Funny...I just don't see it with McGregor.

As a Midd golf teamer we had one tourney a year there hosted by Skidmore...as a Senior I was aware of the Emmet pedigree and the unique Reef hole and so on, and even aware of TD's reference to wanting to see it in the original CG.

The Reef hole is neat and there are a couple other interesting holes, but the condos totally take the soul of the place.  #2 is OB about 5 feet left of the fairway, and the row of them on #6 almost reaches the fairway itself!

I've played a bunch of courses in the Capital region and environs, and I would not count McGregor near the top of that list.
So I jump ship in Hong Kong....

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #26 on: September 26, 2014, 09:23:34 AM »
Played McGregor last week - I'd go back in a heartbeat for the par 3s, hole #7, and the perfectly quirky 17th, let alone the many other good holes and interesting terrain.

It is each to their own, but the course itself did a great job of holding my interest, so much so that the few places where the condos intrude became a minor distraction - and I avoid condo lined courses like the plague.  :)

"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

Tom_Doak

« Reply #27 on: September 27, 2014, 02:04:51 PM »
Tom,

Im glad you got a look at McGregor, one of the best parcels of terrain Devereux Emmet ever worked with.  Lots of stirring movement in the ground. I especially enjoy the stretches  from 3-8  and  16-17 (Alps).  Number ten is also a lovely par four that Emmet was proud of.  I hope you see his work at Schuyler Meadows and at Hartford's Keney  Park.

Mark:  I agree, the undulations of the property at McGregor were some of the best I saw on the trip.  [Monroe Golf Club was a beautiful piece of ground, too.]  The condos are a real shame; they make it hard to recommend the golf course to visitors, even with the number of great holes it had.  But for someone really interested in design, it is well worth a visit.

Rob Marshall

« Reply #28 on: September 27, 2014, 07:38:29 PM »
Tom,

Im glad you got a look at McGregor, one of the best parcels of terrain Devereux Emmet ever worked with.  Lots of stirring movement in the ground. I especially enjoy the stretches  from 3-8  and  16-17 (Alps).  Number ten is also a lovely par four that Emmet was proud of.  I hope you see his work at Schuyler Meadows and at Hartford's Keney  Park.

Mark:  I agree, the undulations of the property at McGregor were some of the best I saw on the trip.  [Monroe Golf Club was a beautiful piece of ground, too.]  The condos are a real shame; they make it hard to recommend the golf course to visitors, even with the number of great holes it had.  But for someone really interested in design, it is well worth a visit.

Tom, what did you think of Monroe? Did you visit any others in Rochester?
If life gives you limes, make margaritas.” Jimmy Buffett

Michael George

« Reply #29 on: September 27, 2014, 08:43:57 PM »
Tom

I hope you got a chance to see both Pepper Pike Club and Mayfield CC. I know you were trying to get to NE Ohio around this time.

Both are worth seeing.  Mayfield is pretty unique, a characteristic that you have mentioned lately on this site.   Pepper Pike Club is simply a great routing, as you would expect by Flynn. 
"First come my wife and children.  Next comes my profession--the law. Finally, and never as a life in itself, comes golf" - Bob Jones

Tom_Doak

« Reply #30 on: September 27, 2014, 09:06:47 PM »
Tom

I hope you got a chance to see both Pepper Pike Club and Mayfield CC. I know you were trying to get to NE Ohio around this time.

Both are worth seeing.  Mayfield is pretty unique, a characteristic that you have mentioned lately on this site.   Pepper Pike Club is simply a great routing, as you would expect by Flynn.  

I played Mayfield on Friday morning with a friend, whose brother-in-law just happened to be a member.  Had a great day for it, and played my best round of the year, to boot.  Really enjoyed the course.

However, my wife has been watching our grandkids all week, so after the round I drove straight home.  Pepper Pike will have to wait for another day.

Final count for my trip:  14 courses in six days, including 12 that were new to me.  Perfect weather the whole way!
« Last Edit: September 27, 2014, 09:21:48 PM by Tom_Doak »

RJ_Daley

« Reply #31 on: September 27, 2014, 09:41:31 PM »
The proverbial "busman's holiday".   ;D
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back