News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Sven Nilsen

What do we know about Santa Barbara CC (NLE)?
« on: September 26, 2014, 12:15:03 PM »
The Bendelow listing attributes this course as a TB 1919 design.

A December 1916 American Golfer article discusses the entry of Walter Fovargue, former pro at Skokie, into the world of golf course design.  It mentions Fovargue traveling with Ross to learn the basics of the business, and notes that he was to superintend the construction of the new course for the Santa Barbara CC.

Is it possible that SBCC was actually a Ross design?

Sven
"As much as we have learned about the history of golf architecture in the last ten plus years, I'm convinced we have only scratched the surface."  A GCA Poster

"There's the golf hole; play it any way you please." Donald Ross

DMoriarty

Re: What do we know about Santa Barbara CC (NLE)?
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2014, 12:59:55 PM »
I don't know much about it, but I seem to recall that they were golfing at the the SBCC within the first few years of the 1900's, if not earlier.  A quick search turns up a January 19, 1915 SF Chronicle article announcing that the SBCC would be opening their "new" eighteen hole course in the first week of March, 1915.  No mention of a designer.
Golf history can be quite interesting if you just let your favorite legends go and allow the truth to take you where it will.
--Tom MacWood (1958-2012)

DMoriarty

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2014, 02:06:04 PM »
To follow up on your question about whether Ross might have been responsible for the design in 1915, in the July 30, 1922 S.F. Chronicle article I posted just posted in another thread, Ross talks about his experience coming to California, and he makes it sound as if his first trip to California was in 1922:
"I arrived in Los Angeles a few days ago and, of course, wanted to get a glimpse of the golfing conditions. . . I could get no information whatever as to how I must proceed if I wanted a game of golf. . . I met an old Scottish friend who showed me the courses of the Los Angeles Country Club, Wilshire, Annandale, Pasadena and the Rancho Golf Club."

So it sure sounds to me like this was his first trip to California.  I guess it is possible that he or someone in his company had mailed in plans for the course at some earlier date, but it seems unlikely, doesn't it?
Golf history can be quite interesting if you just let your favorite legends go and allow the truth to take you where it will.
--Tom MacWood (1958-2012)

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2014, 02:23:48 PM »
Sven,

Didn't you post this as a Raynor design? Or did he submit plans only?
Charlotte. Daniel. Olivia. Josephine. Ana. Dylan. Madeleine. Catherine. Chase. Jesse. James. Grace. Emilie. Jack. Noah. Caroline. Jessica. Benjamin. Avielle. Allison.

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2014, 07:52:27 PM »
Sven,

Didn't you post this as a Raynor design? Or did he submit plans only?

Mark:

All of the Raynor designs I noted in the other thread were only plans, or "design onlys."

Sven
"As much as we have learned about the history of golf architecture in the last ten plus years, I'm convinced we have only scratched the surface."  A GCA Poster

"There's the golf hole; play it any way you please." Donald Ross

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back