News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ben Kodadek

Playing Lesson with Rocco Mediate on a Tillinghast
« on: September 10, 2014, 08:55:59 AM »
Last night a Rocco Mediate "Playing Lesson" was aired on Golf Channel.  Originally taped at Golden Valley CC just minutes from downtown Minneapolis, it's a very fun Tillinghast course.  Rocco tried to mention Tilly's work numerous times.  Unfortunately, the big mouthed Paige  Mackenzie would cut him off before he could finish his thought.   That said, it's worth the time to watch it to catch some cool shots of GVCC. 

Michael Moore

Re: Playing Lesson with Rocco Mediate on a Tillinghast
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2014, 09:55:57 AM »
Golf course architecture is not about cool shots of the course or the name of the architect.

Playing Lessons with the Pros is an absolutely wonderful show about golf course architecture. An expert player tells you what is before him, what his thought process is, and what kind of shot he is about to hit. A show about the phenomenology of architecture is far more interesting than theory or history.
Metaphor is social and shares the table with the objects it intertwines and the attitudes it reconciles. Opinion, like the Michelin inspector, dines alone. - Adam Gopnik, The Table Comes First

Amol Yajnik

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2014, 10:44:58 AM »
It was very cool to hear Rocco talk about how he wanted to play shots into the greens based on the contours of those greens.  Also, some of the lines that they had to take on their putts weren't what you see everyday.  It presented well on TV and looked like a course I'd love to play at some point.

Jason Topp

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2014, 10:53:41 AM »
I will have to watch this given it is a course I have played many times that gives me fits.  I have heard Rocco is in town a lot lately.

Ben Kodadek

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2014, 10:54:21 AM »
Golf course architecture is not about cool shots of the course or the name of the architect.

So it's of no relevance that Tillinghast designed GVCC?  I'm certain that many on this site would enjoy this show due to the fact that MSP golf courses are often discussed on GCA, but rarely visited.  

PCCraig

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2014, 10:59:02 AM »
I would like to see this having played GVGCC a handful of times. I think Rocco is a member? Word on the street is that he is dating a woman who lives in the Twin Cities.

Anyone know when it'll be on next?
H.P.S.

Dan Kelly

« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2014, 11:15:05 AM »
Rocco is the official Touring Pro of Golden Valley G & CC.

Jason -- Gives you fits. Gives me fits. Gives the members fits, I'm sure (and that must be how they like it).

Far be it from me to criticize (emoticon omitted), but I think Golden Valley routinely keeps its greens too fast for their severe slopes. I would enjoy the course so much better if it weren't DEATH to go five feet above any number of hole locations. Makes many of the holes a grind, and less fun (IMO) than they should be.

« Last Edit: September 10, 2014, 01:27:13 PM by Dan Kelly »
"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

PCCraig

« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2014, 11:43:23 AM »
Jason -- Gives you fits. Gives me fits. Gives the members fits, I'm sure (and that must be how they like it).

Far be it from me to criticize (emoticon omitted), but I think Golden Valley routinely keeps its greens too fast for their severe slopes. I would enjoy the course so much better if it weren't DEATH to go five feet above any number of hole locations. Makes every hole a grind, and less fun (IMO) than it should be.

Dan,

That's funny, my experience has been the opposite. I personally don't think the course is all that hard...the greens are pretty big, and there are a bunch of medium length par-5's. I've also found that the greens have been pretty slow the times I've played there. I'm sure they get them quick for tournaments and they are more interesting when quick...but for everyday (ie Friday afternoon) play they are pretty manageable. The biggest knock on GV, in my opinion, is that all the par-3's play the same way, many of the holes play too similarly, and there are a few goofy holes (#7 & #10). 
H.P.S.

Ryan Hillenbrand

« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2014, 12:00:30 PM »
How did Rocco get to Minneapolis? Is that where his girlfriend lives now?

Stephen Davis

« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2014, 12:26:05 PM »

Far be it from me to criticize (emoticon omitted), but I think Golden Valley routinely keeps its greens too fast for their severe slopes. I would enjoy the course so much better if it weren't DEATH to go five feet above any number of hole locations. Makes every hole a grind, and less fun (IMO) than it should be.

Dan,

That's funny, my experience has been the opposite. I personally don't think the course is all that hard...the greens are pretty big, and there are a bunch of medium length par-5's. I've also found that the greens have been pretty slow the times I've played there. I'm sure they get them quick for tournaments and they are more interesting when quick...but for everyday (ie Friday afternoon) play they are pretty manageable. The biggest knock on GV, in my opinion, is that all the par-3's play the same way, many of the holes play too similarly, and there are a few goofy holes (#7 & #10). 
I just played there about a month ago, and Dan has it right. The greens were lightning fast, especially for those contours, which I really enjoyed. I played well, so it didn't bother my game, but it took our group a really long time to play, partially due to the fact that someone was 4 putting on almost every green.

Dan Kelly

« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2014, 01:25:56 PM »
« Last Edit: September 10, 2014, 05:54:56 PM by Dan Kelly »

Dan Kelly

« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2014, 02:16:19 PM »
Word on the street is that he is dating a woman who lives in the Twin Cities.

Word on the street is (I certainly hope!) out of date.

See the Feb. 6 entry: https://twitter.com/RoccoMediate

Jim Franklin

« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2014, 03:16:23 PM »

Dan,

I enjoyed GV in my one play and being a member of a Tillinghast, I was quite comfortable not going pin high or higher. My knock is that, IIRC, it is a par 73 and is under 7000 yards. Some of the short par 5s should be converted to long par 4s. Although I am fairly certain the members like the short par 5s as they make many more birdies there. All in all, terrific members course.

And I saw Rocco playing and agree Paige should keep quiet at times. She is no Holly Sonders.
Mr Hurricane

Michael Blake

« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2014, 03:18:21 PM »
Didn't see the show.  Was anything learned other than that Rocco can only hit a draw?   :)

Jim Franklin

« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2014, 03:27:11 PM »
Didn't see the show.  Was anything learned other than that Rocco can only hit a draw?   :)

He has gained a couple pounds.
Mr Hurricane

Dan Kelly

« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2014, 04:08:51 PM »
I enjoyed GV in my one play and being a member of a Tillinghast, I was quite comfortable not going pin high or higher. My knock is that, IIRC, it is a par 73 and is under 7000 yards. Some of the short par 5s should be converted to long par 4s. Although I am fairly certain the members like the short par 5s as they make many more birdies there. All in all, terrific members course.

GV tips out at 7,004 yards.

The two shortest par-5s (Nos. 6 and 13) are 491 from the back tees. At least one of those holes (No. 6) offers so many other problems (blind tee shot, creek angling across the fairway at second-shot distance, rumpled fairway, power lines) that I doubt if anyone makes birdie there regularly; the other one (No. 13) has a VERY demanding green where, in my experience, it's never easy to get the ball close to the hole. Making those shortest par-5s into par-4s would just make a lot of people miserable, IMO. GV has enough very demanding par-4s as it is.

The par-5 that ought to give a lot of golfers a good shot at birdie is No. 1, I think -- a very friendly opening hole.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2014, 04:38:50 PM by Dan Kelly »

Dan Kelly

« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2014, 05:55:24 PM »

Rick Shefchik

« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2014, 06:02:37 PM »

GV tips out at 7,004 yards.

The two shortest par-5s (Nos. 6 and 13) are 491 from the back tees. At least one of those holes (No. 6) offers so many other problems (blind tee shot, creek angling across the fairway at second-shot distance, rumpled fairway, power lines) that I doubt if anyone makes birdie there regularly; the other one (No. 13) has a VERY demanding green where, in my experience, it's never easy to get the ball close to the hole. Making those shortest par-5s into par-4s would just make a lot of people miserable, IMO. GV has enough very demanding par-4s as it is.

The par-5 that ought to give a lot of golfers a good shot at birdie is No. 1, I think -- a very friendly opening hole.

Agreed -- if they wanted to make GV a par-72, they could easily shorten the first hole to a par 4. Nothing lost there, in my opinion, except the best birdie chance on the course -- which is not a bad way for members to start their day.
"Golf is 20 percent mechanics and technique. The other 80 percent is philosophy, humor, tragedy, romance, melodrama, companionship, camaraderie, cussedness and conversation." - Grantland Rice

John_Conley

« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2014, 10:08:35 PM »
Thanks for letting me know.  I love Golden Valley and will enjoy seeing it on TV.

Marc Huther

« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2014, 08:24:04 PM »
I will check it out thanks for the heads up!

John Crowley

« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2014, 09:22:34 AM »
Per a couple of GVCC  members, Rocco has married  the girlfriend and they own a home or condo in the area.

PCCraig

« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2014, 09:38:19 AM »
Per a couple of GVCC  members, Rocco has married  the girlfriend and they own a home or condo in the area.

Interesting...haven't seen him around at all. They must live on the Minneapolis side of the river... ;)
H.P.S.

John Crowley

« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2014, 09:55:10 AM »
Just watched a couple of the videos. Seems like a fun guy to be with on a golf course. Not sure he would be a great teaching pro. As with most pro athletes they can do it but are not very articulate. That said, I will try his Zinger tip on how to approach breaking putts today.

Andy Ryall

« Reply #23 on: September 16, 2014, 01:58:02 PM »
I play out there twice a year on average.  Last fall I saw Rocco playing in a foursome on the front nine, playing barefoot, which he is wont to do.   Apparently, his dislike of shoes does not sit well with some of the membership.  My buddy, who just converted to a full membership, said RM is active out there. 

My understanding is that he either proposed and/or got married at Bunny's in SLP.

Dan Kelly

« Reply #24 on: September 16, 2014, 02:03:26 PM »
I will try his Zinger tip on how to approach breaking putts today.

John --

I have been using that tip for three rounds now -- and putted better than I have the rest of the year.

My having said that, of course, means that I'll have about five three-putts next time out....

Dan

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back