This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.
As I see it, if a guy has a faster swing speed than his opponents, and he can control the dispersion on his ball, then he should be at an advantage. Hasn't being longer always been an advantage? I don't thing it would be fair to handicap long hitters by making them use a ball which flies a less proportionate distance for them.
what I fear will happen, is that they will put a maximum limit on how far the ball can travel, and then advancements in ball technology in the not too distant future will allow those with slower swing speeds to hit the ball the same distances as those with higher swing speeds. I think that should be a big concern. Right now the manufacturers are concentrating on how to make the ball go further for the elite players in the world. What happens when a limit is put on how far those guys can hit it, and they start concentrating on creating a ball that goes further for the shorter hitters.I don't know a whole lot about physics, but is it totally out of the realm of possibility that in 10 years a guy with a 120 mph swing speed is hitting his ProV1x 310 yards, while his opponent, who has a 90 mph swing speed his hitting it the same distance with his ProV5xxx? This new ball won't go any further for the guy with 120 mph swing speed, but it will for a guy with a 90 mph swing speed. Maybe it’s not possible though.
David:No, I didn't say that---and I don't believe that. I do not believe reining in the ball exclusively for the top caliber players (in competition) or the pro players will hurt them, and I don't even believe that reining in the ball for all golfers will hurt anyone either.
And that is that golf has never, that I'm aware of, actually backed up the legal distance of balls and impliments! Throughout golf's history the combination of balls and impliments has ALWAYS gotten longer and longer--never shorter.
In a sense it would be the first time a rollback occured and it could be likened to attempting to put the genie back in the bottle to a degree. Would golfers, all of whom had experienced greater absolute distance, struggle to enjoy as much hitting pure shots shorter distances than they had previously?Certainly with the sophistication of technology today if all balls and equipment of all manufacturers were right at some new rolled back distance limitation how could any of them logically claim that their product was longer than anyone else's? And so then how could the manufacturers really buy into the concept that what really is important in golf is not absolute distance but the fact that any golfer could hit the ball relatively farther than any other golfer?
Most everyone who's discussing that ball on here is under the impression that that ball is longer than any other ball in ABSOLUTE distance terms!
Are you sure you mean that?
That may be true but personally COR is a concept that I believe to be negligible in distance enhancement at best. I just don't think COR is valid in real distance enhancement. I think the vast majority of the recent distance enhancement is the golf ball. I'm no tech person so I certainly could be wrong about that.
Why try to reinvent something here? All I'm saying is if there's a need for a rollback--then rollback to what we know works. We know it works because it used to work just fine before things got out of control in the last ten years. I really do feel that happened primarily because the manufacturers combined the two distinct types of balls. That's the problem in my mind or enough of the problem to represent the avenue to a reasonable solution. We know how they did it so it's a snap to undo it. The hardest part is probably just getting them to agree to do it but if they did agree we'd be back to something everyone understands and knows from experience works. It worked fine then and it can work again! That is if the manufacturers will agree and golfing public will allow the genie of the last ten years to go back in the bottle.
If you tell a pro that he/she can tee off with a cannon legally, I bet 95% of the guys would use one and the other 5% would end up using one shortly thereafter.