News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mark Johnson

Scotland independence and golf
« on: August 25, 2014, 01:08:10 PM »
Question for our friends across the pond

Been reading a lot of the upcoming Scotland independence vote.    If independence eventually does come, would this have any impact of the R&A, the open championships and assorted golf stuff.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2014, 11:16:33 AM by Mark Johnson »

Paul Gray

Re: Scottland independence and golf
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2014, 04:13:37 PM »
A the risk of infuriating a few passionate Scots, they're not going to vote for independence. Seriously, I'm not a gambling man but am genuinely thinking about sticking a sizeable sum on the 'no' campaign winning the fight.

If however some astronomical change were to happen, it wouldn't make any difference to the game. The R&A is a self appointed world body which, with the exception of the USA and Mexico, governs the game globally. Secondly, The Open (noting that it ISN'T The British Open) is not a national championship. Once the R&A run out of excuses and actually take the event to Northern Ireland it'll be heading south of the Irish border before too long.
In the places where golf cuts through pretension and elitism, it thrives and will continue to thrive because the simple virtues of the game and its attendant culture are allowed to be most apparent. - Tim Gavrich

Wayne_Kozun

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2014, 04:21:43 PM »
Scotland would have a better chance of getting its golfers into the Olympics.   In most other areas of international golf Scotland is considered a separate nation, is it not? 

Bill Gayne

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2014, 04:33:15 PM »
Alex Salmand was at North Berwick last Wednesday. He held some type of press conference in the clubhouse and then played 18 holes a couple of groups behind us.

Mark Johnson

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2014, 04:58:33 PM »
A the risk of infuriating a few passionate Scots, they're not going to vote for independence. Seriously, I'm not a gambling man but am genuinely thinking about sticking a sizeable sum on the 'no' campaign winning the fight.

If however some astronomical change were to happen, it wouldn't make any difference to the game. The R&A is a self appointed world body which, with the exception of the USA and Mexico, governs the game globally. Secondly, The Open (noting that it ISN'T The British Open) is not a national championship. Once the R&A run out of excuses and actually take the event to Northern Ireland it'll be heading south of the Irish border before too long.

Paul,

What is the argument against independence?  from what i have heard Parliament underinvests in scotland plus there is a ton of untapped oil reserves off the north sea which would make it a boon for an independent scotland.   I hear tons of famous people endorse independence but almost noone publicly against it (keep in mind this is through US media), but i am shocked it is 6-8 points behind in the polls

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2014, 05:02:35 PM »
Any chance you guys would like an additional State?
F.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Greg Taylor

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2014, 05:04:11 PM »
The R&A vote on admitting women is the same day...

So, open question... Which one are you more interested in...?!

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2014, 05:09:47 PM »
If I were the betting type I'd put 10x on two no votes than two yes votes!
Cave Nil Vino

Paul Gray

« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2014, 05:12:11 PM »
Mark,

Currency is the big one. The British political parties have made it clear that they will not share sterling. If Scotland wants to use the pound they can't be stopped from doing so but they won't have any control over monetary policy if they do. European politicians have seemingly done the establishment a favour by refusing to confirm that Scotland could and would become a member of the EU, thereby adopting the Euro.

There's maybe fifty years of oil left in the North Sea. Thereafter Scotland has little with which to support itself. Scotland is a big part of Britain but a small part of the World. And Scotland actually gets subsidised by the rest of  the UK, albeit that subsidy is effectively cancelled out when you consider the oil revenue Scotland generates.

Ultimately, as an Englishman, I'm really not too concerned either way. Andy Murray won Wimbledon as a Brit so they're now free to do as they please.  ;D
In the places where golf cuts through pretension and elitism, it thrives and will continue to thrive because the simple virtues of the game and its attendant culture are allowed to be most apparent. - Tim Gavrich

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2014, 05:15:53 PM »
I'm actually surprised there hasn't been a move towards English independence. Tell those uppity haggis noshers where to get off.

F.

Paul Gray

« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2014, 05:19:45 PM »
I'm actually surprised there hasn't been a move towards English independence. Tell those uppity haggis noshers where to get off.

F.

I rather like haggis.  ;D

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2014, 05:23:54 PM »

F.

Stock up now. The import duty after September will be extortionate...
 ;)
F.

Paul Gray

« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2014, 05:29:31 PM »

F.

Stock up now. The import duty after September will be extortionate...
 ;)
F.

Shit. I'd completely overlooked that. And whisky is pricey enough these days as it is.  ;D

Ru Macdonald

« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2014, 04:05:30 AM »
I think there is a real momentum switch here in Scotland for a Yes vote. Only time will tell but Scotland is a wealthy country with amazing natural resources full of creative minds. I would be in no doubt Scotland would be successful.

As for golf tourism in an independent Scotland, allowing Scotland to attract more international flights to and from Scotland by cutting Air Passenger Duty might make getting here to golf that little but easier. The Scottish Government has backed initiatives like 'club golf' to keep the game an inherent part of our culture while showing support to the Scottish Open. (He was announcing North Berwick as a pre qualifier next year at Gullane)

Happy to discuss further the pro and cons on a matter very important to the Scottish people.

If you have played in Scotland and want to share your experience with other golfers I'd love to talk with you, Scottish Golf Podcast.

Mark Johnson

« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2014, 09:19:51 AM »
Thanks Ru.   

That is the exact type of commentary I was looking to get, which obviously doesn't make it through the US media.

Based on media reports,  Salmond had an awful performance at  the final debate last night and significantly hurt independence chances.   Is that the consensus in Scotland?

I think there is a real momentum switch here in Scotland for a Yes vote. Only time will tell but Scotland is a wealthy country with amazing natural resources full of creative minds. I would be in no doubt Scotland would be successful.

As for golf tourism in an independent Scotland, allowing Scotland to attract more international flights to and from Scotland by cutting Air Passenger Duty might make getting here to golf that little but easier. The Scottish Government has backed initiatives like 'club golf' to keep the game an inherent part of our culture while showing support to the Scottish Open. (He was announcing North Berwick as a pre qualifier next year at Gullane)

Happy to discuss further the pro and cons on a matter very important to the Scottish people.

Niall C

« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2014, 10:30:50 AM »
Mark

Any chance you could spell the name of the country right in the title to the thread ?

Don't know what particular media you are paying attention to but they don't really seem too switched on. The general consensus over here seems to be that Salmond performed better than he did in the first debate when it was generally accepted that Alistair Darling got the better of him. Didn't watch it myself so can't give a personal opinion.

Niall

Greg Taylor

« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2014, 10:33:03 AM »
Mark

Any chance you could spell the name of the country right in the title to the thread ?

Don't know what particular media you are paying attention to but they don't really seem too switched on. The general consensus over here seems to be that Salmond performed better than he did in the first debate when it was generally accepted that Alistair Darling got the better of him. Didn't watch it myself so can't give a personal opinion.

Niall

Alex Salmond did indeed take the spoils but it's not clear if at all what effect it will have on the outcome. Prolly none.

Bruce Katona

Re: Scotland independence and golf
« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2014, 01:16:54 PM »
Martin: We over here on this side of the Pond like even numbers of States (makes adding stars on the flag easier outside of the original one of course); so we need a two'fer.  Scotland and Puerto Rico.

How does direct domestic flights from Edinburgh to San Juan or Honolulu sound?

JMEvensky

« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2014, 01:51:42 PM »
Martin: We over here on this side of the Pond like even numbers of States (makes adding stars on the flag easier outside of the original one of course); so we need a two'fer.  Scotland and Puerto Rico.

Scotland can just replace the Republic of Texas when they secede.

Mark Johnson

« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2014, 03:58:56 PM »

Scotland can just replace the Republic of Texas when they secede.

Only if Texas takes California with it.

Josh Stevens

« Reply #21 on: August 26, 2014, 09:37:31 PM »
We should note that the R&A is not the governing body, it is the rule making body.  That makes it very distinct from the USGA which does both. The individual Golf Unions of England, Scotland, Wales, and Ireland actually administer the game.

That's probably the reason is it called The Open.  The R&A simply has no authority to call its little tournament  The British Open any more than the All England Lawn Tennis and Croquet Club has the right to call its show the British Tennis Championships.  They are just private clubs.

So nothing will change.

Ru Macdonald

« Reply #22 on: September 02, 2014, 05:28:29 AM »
Update on this to all concerned.

Latest polls suggest a big swing towards Yes making the vote very close on estimates as the UK Government battle to save the Union.

Momentum is a big thing..
If you have played in Scotland and want to share your experience with other golfers I'd love to talk with you, Scottish Golf Podcast.

Thomas Dai

« Reply #23 on: September 02, 2014, 05:58:01 AM »

(sic) :)
atb

Rich Goodale

« Reply #24 on: September 02, 2014, 10:29:17 AM »
Life is good.

Any afterlife is unlikely and/or dodgy.

Jean-Paul Parodi

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back