News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jim Sherma

Ballyneal Bound - the Summary
« on: August 25, 2014, 11:02:44 AM »
I'm heading out to Ballyneal for two days of golf this Thursday and Friday. It's my first time out there and also my first Tom Doak course. I'm very excited about the trip and am interested in anything that the group here thinks I should know before heading out. Thanks in advance.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2014, 10:48:36 PM by Jim Sherma »

Rob Curtiss

Re: Ballyneal Bound
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2014, 11:20:57 AM »
Just a suggestion- play from as many different tee boxes as you can.  If you play 4 rounds- try 4 different tee boxes.

Some of the holes give you such a different perspective from different tee boxes.

Play hole 1 from the farthest back left tee box - try 13 from the farther back because you tee off over the 12th green- you dont get to do that on too many coursess-

Play Hole 7 from far enough up to try to drive the green-

A lot of fun holes at BN

Chris DeToro

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2014, 11:21:46 AM »
If you're playing alone, try to play a lot of the different tee set-ups that a lot of the members play.  Don't follow your GPS to get there.  And have a great time!

Stephen Davis

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2014, 11:23:36 AM »
Good suggestions from Rob. Take a caddy and have them tell you some of the interesting tee boxes that are used. One of my personal favorites is #3 off the side of 4 green and #11 from back left of #10 green. There are many different options. Have fun and afternoon storms are not uncommon.

Jason Thurman

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2014, 11:26:53 AM »
Don't count your chickens before they hatch or jinx the trip in any way. Visits to Ballyneal have a way of getting you really excited and then falling through, especially if someone makes the mistake of mentioning Dismal River.

Have fun.
"There will always be haters. That’s just the way it is. Hating dudes marry hating women and have hating ass kids." - Evan Turner

Some of y'all have never been called out in bold green font and it really shows.

Jim Sherma

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2014, 11:28:44 AM »
I believe that there will be two members with our group and also that caddies are on the agenda, at least for a couple of the rounds.

Stephen Davis

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2014, 11:33:25 AM »
I believe that there will be two members with our group and also that caddies are on the agenda, at least for a couple of the rounds.
You are in good hands. I would love to hear what you think of the course when you get back, especially considering this will be your first Doak course.

Ian Mackenzie

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2014, 11:34:21 AM »
Yes, save some game for the final two holes.
17 and 18 demand well-struck tee shots.

Very challenging finish at BN.

Rob Curtiss

« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2014, 11:36:03 AM »
if you have time- go out to hole 7 and mess around with putting from different locataions on hole 7 and 8.

crazy putts can be accomplished

It is such a great course- I have played 5 Doak courses and I just love his greens-

Ian,

18 gets me every time- I finally birdied 17 on my last round there- but what a beast

Chris DeToro

« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2014, 11:39:55 AM »
Very curious to hear what you think.  Ballyneal is a great place to first experience one of Tom's courses in my opinion.  I'd be curious to hear what he thinks on that topic (or if it's been discussed before).  It's definitely one of my favorite

Charlie Gallagher

« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2014, 11:45:19 AM »
      Ballyneal was my introduction to Tom Doak original design work. The caddies there are very good. The course is drought Ireland firm and the ground game options are wonderfully fun. In a late afternoon round you can tarry around some of the greens and experiment with different chips and running pitches.  I believe they have gone over to bent grass greens, I will be  interested in your perspective on that.
     So many great holes, the 7th in particular sticks out in my mind as a wonderfully conceived short 4, 4 is a superbly gorgeous par 5, as is 8.  The course finshes with a bang, the closing holes are wonderfully varied and strategic.
    Be alert about snakes, don't walk in the rough without your sand wedge.

Adam Clayman

« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2014, 11:48:54 AM »
Divorce your lob wedge.
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Tim Bert

« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2014, 11:56:18 AM »
As others said play as many tees as possible.

Stop every now and then and look around and take it all in. Enjoy yourself and don't get caught up in just the golf.

Use your putter around the greens whenever possible.

Play to the 7th green from the 4th tee box if your hosts is agreeable and there isn't someone coming up #7.

Take some cat treats for Bunker.

Don't wear yellow pants unless you have the game to back it up.

Jud_T

« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2014, 12:31:27 PM »
Practice chipping with a 5-wood or rescue.  Generally speaking, if there's no obvious reason to get the ball airborne around the green, don't.
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Bart Bradley

« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2014, 12:54:47 PM »
Have a banana milk shake...they are the bomb.

Jordan Standefer

« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2014, 12:54:58 PM »
Don't follow your GPS to get there.

I learned this one the hard way.  7 miles of dirt road, if I recall.  No reason to make it any longer.  I believe they have directions on their website, or call ahead and get directions.

Great suggestions so far.  I would also add if you are playing multiple rounds to not only try different tee boxes, but try approaching the holes differently.  Attempting to drive the green on #7 is fun, but it is also interesting to lay back and try and hit the correct shelf with a full approach shot.

Have fun.

Chris DeToro

« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2014, 12:56:33 PM »
Stay hydrated too--I played this same time last year and it was over 100 degrees

Stephen Davis

« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2014, 01:09:25 PM »
Stay hydrated too--I played this same time last year and it was over 100 degrees
There are plenty of water coolers throughout the course, so grab what you need whenever you come to one.

Bryan Icenhower

« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2014, 01:44:42 PM »
Some things not previously mentioned
- embrace match play and forget about your score
- play the whiskey loop
- pay attention to the greens so you know how you might get to a certain pin the next day
- spend time at the turtle bar and meet / spend time with the members and guests
- after a few at the turtle bar, grab a few clubs and play any loop (there are many)
- try the open faced meatloaf sandwich but don't expect to go out right after
- imagine ways to get to pins you would never think of and give it a try, its a ton of fun
- get involved in a bocci game
- play a different tee every round, OK that one has been said but its the most important

Bill_McBride

« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2014, 02:17:11 PM »

Stop every now and then and look around and take it all in. Enjoy yourself and don't get caught up in just the golf.

Play to the 7th green from the 4th tee box if your hosts is agreeable and there isn't someone coming up #7.

Do you know that last from personal experience?   ;D

With a white belt?

Tim Bert

« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2014, 02:30:07 PM »

Do you know that last from personal experience?   ;D

With a white belt?

Yes. Guests that play poorly with yellow pants are treated with some degree of hostility.   :)

Dave Herrick

« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2014, 03:03:17 PM »
Although the course plays firm and fast, on occasion the journey to it does not.
While the dirt roads are usually in very good shape, and I am unaware of anyone ever getting stuck, if you are arriving after a recent period of heavy showers, County Road ff off of US 385 from the south may be in better condition than the combination of County Roads 10 and 43 from the north. Particularly if you have a rear wheel drive car you might check with the club whenever mud might be a problem, as to the better route.

Andrew Lewis

« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2014, 03:40:00 PM »
Jim -

In addition to the sage advice already offered, I would add just this:  PLAY HICKORIES while you're there.  The course sets up beautifully for it.

If you own hickory clubs, bring them.  And if you don't, ask the club to borrow a few of theirs.

I guarantee the experience will not disappoint...

Cheers, Andrew

hhuffines

« Reply #23 on: August 25, 2014, 03:55:13 PM »
Ask the caddies if they are carrying the once used yardage books, especially to get the layout of each green and where the miss is.

Don't be afraid to land the ball short of the green.  Even SW bounces in.

Take good, worn in shoes!

Stephen Davis

« Reply #24 on: August 25, 2014, 04:13:53 PM »
Ask the caddies if they are carrying the once used yardage books, especially to get the layout of each green and where the miss is.

Don't be afraid to land the ball short of the green.  Even SW bounces in.

Take good, worn in shoes!

They now sale yardage books now. I got one on Friday to just look at and they are pretty nice.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back