News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Keith Grande

Grossinger's Country Club
« on: August 27, 2014, 10:12:30 AM »
Sadly, I was just at Grossinger's, and they did mention that next year may be the last for the course.  I highly recommend a trip there as soon as possible.  It is beautiful in the fall, about a 2 hr drive from NYC.  The property has plenty of hilly terrain, uphill, downhill, sidehill holes throughout the routing, Greens are fun, and it's tough to ascertain the break due to the various hills, lakes and streams throughout the property. 

Although the course is pobably 50-60 years old, I view it in the style of the old classic courses.  There are plenty of dogleg holes, risk-reward holes, a good example is the half-par dogleg left 12th, about 440 yards, tee shot up the hill, then falling off down on a right to left approach shot anywhere from 245-175 in to the green which banks from right to left. 

Several holes have fairways that will throw the tee shot into a low area, but can be avoided by hugging the high line of the fairway, resulting in a few clubs difference into the green.  The par 4 8th is an uphill tee shot to an uphill, blind green.  Tee shots that start up the middle will roll to the right and have a 150 shot in.  Tee balls taken down the left side will provide a wedge in.  The 18th also provides a similar emphasis on tee shot placement.

The two par 5's on the back nine offer a risk-reward with a choice of attacking the green surrounded by water (island green 13th) or carrying a stream fed from the 13th lake (16th hole) to reach the green.

Unfortunately I did not bring my camera, I would like to visit again and do so.

Stewart Abramson

Re: Grossinger's Country Club
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2014, 12:26:17 AM »
the half-par dogleg left 12th, about 440 yards, tee shot up the hill,

Grossinger #12 dogleg left from tee r

then falling off down on a right to left approach shot anywhere from 245-175 in to the green which banks from right to left. 

Grossinger #12 approach r

The par 4 8th is an uphill tee shot to an uphill, blind green.  Tee shots that start up the middle will roll to the right and have a 150 shot in.  Tee balls taken down the left side will provide a wedge in.

Grossinger #8 from tee r

The 18th also provides a similar emphasis on tee shot placement.

Grossinger #18 approach from right rough r

The two par 5's on the back nine offer a risk-reward with a choice of attacking the green surrounded by water (island green 13th)

Grossinger #13 par 5 from tee r

Grossinger #13 approach r

or carrying a stream fed from the 13th lake (16th hole) to reach the green.

Grossinger #16 from tee r

Grossinger #16 approach r

Link to photos of all 18: https://www.flickr.com/photos/golfcoursepix/sets/72157634165195224/

Keith Grande

Re: Grossinger's Country Club
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2014, 08:56:01 AM »
Thanks Stewart...I'm glad there are pics to refer to, I've bookmarked your page.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back