News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Sean_A

Re: NORTH BERWICK WEST LINKS
« Reply #50 on: March 21, 2018, 04:38:28 AM »
The 2017-18 Winter Tour stopped at chilly North Berwick for a game. The links were in magnificent condition and I haven't seen the course play so well in a long time.  Holes such as 16 & 17 playing into a stout head wind were very formidable. 

Unfortunately, the stewards of the course continue to make changes which are very suspect.  A new tee was added to 18...and for some reason it wasn't graded to match the current tee.  I really can't understand why there seems to be such a flippant approach to changes...it is very depressing. 

See the updated tour. 
http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,59363.0.html

Previous Stops

Alnmouth Village
http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,65709.0.html

Little Aston
http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,38973.0.html

WHO
http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,61415.msg1460548.html#msg1460548

RAC
http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,65366.0.html

St Georges Hill
http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,36130.0.html

Huntercombe
http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,32228.msg633321.html#msg633321

Worcester
http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,49998.msg1348691.html#msg1348691

Planned stops: Warkworth, Epsom & Princes

Ciao
« Last Edit: May 20, 2018, 03:17:55 AM by Sean_A »
New plays planned for 2024: Fraserburgh, Turnberry, Isle of Harris, Benbecula, Askernish, Traigh, St Medan, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #51 on: March 21, 2018, 07:27:04 AM »
Did you take a picture of the tee, Sean?

Tim Gallant

Re: NORTH BERWICK WEST LINKS: Winter Tour 2017-18
« Reply #52 on: March 21, 2018, 10:21:23 AM »
Ally,

I'll take a photo in a fortnight for the thread. It's not great.

Sean, I agree with you. Their seems to be no rhyme or (logical) reason for the tweaks. Some questionable updates since I started playing there:

- Extended tee at 1
- Added back tees at 6 and 12
- Extended tee on 18
- Fairway bunker size reduction on 17 (note, not the greenside bunker, but the hidden fairway bunker, which was taken in by a few feet)
- Tighter fairways

Sean, any others that you can recall? Nothing massive, but a few head scratchers...

Sean_A

« Reply #53 on: March 21, 2018, 10:39:55 AM »
Well, other than general fairway width reduction, the newish (seems like there are twice as many as 10 years ago) bunkers on 12 are very dubious. 

Ciao
« Last Edit: December 21, 2019, 05:22:17 AM by Sean_A »
New plays planned for 2024: Fraserburgh, Turnberry, Isle of Harris, Benbecula, Askernish, Traigh, St Medan, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Michael Graham

« Reply #54 on: March 21, 2018, 11:23:31 AM »
The cluster of fairway bunkers on the 12th are a bit of an eye sore. I've not paid much attention to the new 18th tee as the last few times I've played it's been roped off as G.U.R. The recent changes just highlight the difference between having a consulting architect and making changes in house. 

Niall C

« Reply #55 on: March 21, 2018, 11:32:55 AM »
Michael

In fairness the current course is largely the result of “in-house” work and it hasn’t turned out too badly. That said, when I saw the new tee on Saturday I was immediately taken aback although I suspect in a few years time I won’t really notice it.

Niall

Ian Galbraith

« Reply #56 on: March 21, 2018, 12:50:11 PM »
Two other tweaks come to mind,

New back tee on 8 about 4 years ago which hardly ever gets used (thank goodness)
and this winters spreading of the back tee on 13 to the left, which I don't care for much either.

I think most of the tee changes have been to try and keep the length of the course up where possible to attract a few R&A events for Ladies and/or Seniors.

.... and no-one has mentioned the black clock monolith on the 1st tee yet...   ::)  .... like something from 2001 A space Odyssey!

Michael Graham

« Reply #57 on: March 21, 2018, 01:00:13 PM »
Two other tweaks come to mind,

New back tee on 8 about 4 years ago which hardly ever gets used (thank goodness)
and this winters spreading of the back tee on 13 to the left, which I don't care for much either.

I think most of the tee changes have been to try and keep the length of the course up where possible to attract a few R&A events for Ladies and/or Seniors.

.... and no-one has mentioned the black clock monolith on the 1st tee yet...   ::)  .... like something from 2001 A space Odyssey!

Ian,

Do you know what the story is with the clock at the first tee? For those that haven't seen it, it had the words Audemars Piguet above the clock face. I'm guessing the club felt that was overly blatant advertising and had it removed. It now looks particularly odd with the clock-face on this huge black plinth.

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #58 on: March 21, 2018, 06:21:53 PM »
I know at least one member of this forum thinks the changes to the drainage on 9 were a missed oportunity to add a little interest and subtle contour to the second half of the hole. He was able to make the club an offer to to give them free practical assistance. The then Secretaty told him somewhat plainly what he though of the offer.
Let's make GCA grate again!

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #59 on: March 22, 2018, 02:40:26 AM »

The bridges put in on several holes a few years back which pay homage to the Swilcan Burn Bridge. As with most of the many other clubs who have done this they lack the quaintness of the original and stick out like a sore thumb. Terrible, ill advised!!!! A few simple sleeper bridges was all it needed.

Jon

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #60 on: March 22, 2018, 04:28:02 AM »
Jon they were a gift from a man who wanted to give something back to his love of golf in Scotland. They can be seen at Prestwick, Troon and a few others. Unlike the original they have to take maintenance vehicles.

https://theimlayfoundation.org/john-p-imlay-jr/

Niall C

« Reply #61 on: March 22, 2018, 09:40:03 AM »
Tony

I've spoken to several folk who's paths crossed with Mr Imlay and without exception they all had nice things to say about him, and there is no denying his heart was in the right place, but that all said they don't half look chintzy. Better to go with something much more unobtrusive IMO.

Niall

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #62 on: March 23, 2018, 03:51:46 AM »

Tony,

I was aware of that but regardless of who donated them and good intentions they are still ugly in my opinion. However, it is just my opinion and I am sure there are some who will find them attractive additions to the course.

Jon

Sean_A

« Reply #63 on: June 02, 2018, 08:37:37 AM »
I played a few holes with David Warren of North Berwick environs a few weeks back.  He said there are tentative plans to improve  the children's course and that his son, Benjamin, who has worked with a few well known archies may be involved. That can only be good news! 

See the updated tour.
www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,59363.msg1396567.html#msg1396567

Ciao
« Last Edit: June 04, 2018, 03:53:22 AM by Sean_A »

Niall C

« Reply #64 on: June 02, 2018, 08:43:19 AM »
Sean

Can I just check, is Mr Warrens son really called Warren Warren ?

Re childrens course - what are they trying to achieve ?

Niall

Sean_A

« Reply #65 on: June 02, 2018, 09:03:45 AM »
Sean

Can I just check, is Mr Warrens son really called Warren Warren ?

Re childrens course - what are they trying to achieve ?

Niall

No, I think its Benjamin. 

I am not certain what the stated goal of the alterations are except an improvement for kids....I can't find any official print on the matter so it must be in embryo stage.  There are also tentative plans for a wee house on site as well as there is a wreck of a shack there now.  We shall see.

Ciao
« Last Edit: June 22, 2018, 05:31:15 AM by Sean_A »

Adam Lawrence

Re: NORTH BERWICK WEST LINKS: New Children's Course?
« Reply #66 on: June 02, 2018, 09:31:32 AM »
Benny hasn't told me about this, the cheeky little blighter...
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Thomas Dai

« Reply #67 on: June 02, 2018, 12:04:51 PM »
Some wonderful old photos etc in this thread. The sketch of the Redan Fortress and surrounding terrain is a cracker. Well done for posting.

Anyone have a photo of the sign for the Children’s Course that says something like “No adults unless accompanied by children”?

Atb

Rich Goodale

« Reply #68 on: June 03, 2018, 07:09:20 AM »
DT aka atb

I think that the sign you remember was on the Gullane kids course.

As for NB, sad.  The custodians of high end courses in Scotland have more money to spend than sense to rely upon.  Sic transit gloria west course.....
Life is good.

Any afterlife is unlikely and/or dodgy.

Jean-Paul Parodi

Sean_A

Re: NORTH BERWICK WEST LINKS: 2022-23 Winter Tour
« Reply #69 on: March 19, 2023, 01:09:08 PM »
See the updated Tour. It includes a sketch each of 14 and 15 from an early 20th century book. The sketches were forwarded to me by T Gallant. It turns out I already had the sketch of 15 and thought it was a modern fake using an old template!

Previous Tour stops

Kings Norton
https://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,71728.0.html

Minch Old
https://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,48765.msg1100536.html#msg1100536

Welcombe Hotel - no photo tour

Painswick
https://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,51629.msg1181534.html#msg1181534

Planned Tour Stops

Stratford Park
Whittington Heath
Formby
West Lancs
Sandiway
Southport & Ainsdale
Hillside

Ciao
« Last Edit: April 15, 2023, 03:35:25 AM by Sean_A »

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #70 on: April 05, 2023, 02:39:48 PM »
Sean this is now an outstanding piece of work! 

Not sure if its the latest version which has had the radical rethink but I was missing playing there and thought I'd reread your review. IMO the way you've reformatted it to abandon hole 1,2,3,etc and your knowledge makes this a great piece of work.  This is what GCA should be for, an antidote to a few randomly posted pictures on social media. This is a real evaluation and assessment of why this is one of the very special Golf Courses out there in a very special town.  Will read this again over the coming weekend.

If anyone is still wondering if they need to see North Berwick well here's your proof.

Congratulations.

MCirba

« Reply #71 on: April 06, 2023, 09:38:48 AM »
The first post on this thread may be the very best and most informative start in the history of GCA.

I played North Berwick one time completely by accident with my former college roommate I was visiting in London back in 1985.  We took a multi-day drive up to Edinburgh and one delightfully sunny summer evening as he's driving my rarely playing roommate blurts out, "such a nice day we should play golf.. let's stop at the next course we come across."

Imagine stumbling across this wonder!
"Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent" - Calvin Coolidge

https://cobbscreek.org/

Sean_A

« Reply #72 on: April 15, 2023, 02:57:04 AM »
Cheers Spangles and Mike.

What the hell kinda drive were you on in 1985? Was it drug induced? 😎

Ciao

MCirba

« Reply #73 on: April 15, 2023, 08:24:35 AM »
Cheers Spangles and Mike.

What the hell kinda drive were you on in 1985? Was it drug induced? 😎

Ciao

Strangely, I don't recall. 

« Last Edit: April 17, 2023, 09:12:57 AM by MCirba »
"Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent" - Calvin Coolidge

https://cobbscreek.org/

Thomas Dai

Re: NORTH BERWICK WEST LINKS: 2022-23 Winter Tour New
« Reply #74 on: April 18, 2023, 04:20:38 AM »
When after many years of wishing you have the opportunity to play somewhere special .....

Thank you to some very kind GCA'ers for the opportunity and the delightful company.
atb
« Last Edit: April 20, 2023, 02:49:55 AM by Thomas Dai »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back