News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ed Tilley

Re: The Peculiarities of PERRANPORTH GC
« Reply #125 on: April 28, 2015, 04:11:26 AM »
Not sure if you confused 15 and 14 Robert? Like Sean, I think 15 is one of the weaker holes but 14 is aptly named as "Braid's best".

I've played Perranporth several times and I don't think it is particularly unfair. There is plenty of room to play safe on a number of holes. The only hole I really have an issue with is 7 which is crazily narrow for a blind drive with ball gobbling rough either side - put the pro v1s away on that hole! The aiming marker on 12 gets a lot of abuse - "I aimed my driver at the post and never saw the ball again". That is because the aiming marker is not for people trying to drive the green, and there is also a white and a yellow post for the different tees which can be confusing. As on any course, there are places where you can't go. These are less apparent to people who don't know the course due to the blindness.

I would also qualify what Sean says about the wind needing to be reasonable. Perranporth is entirely playable in very strong winds, as long as it is the prevailing wind. Almost all the short par 4s play into the prevailing wind (8,12,13,18), and the tougher holes such as 14 play predominately downwind. If the wind is reversed these holes don't work anywhere near as well. I think the conditions experienced in the Buda were extremely unusual and the course was much the poorer for it.

Robert Thompson

« Reply #126 on: April 28, 2015, 11:26:49 PM »
Ed: My bad. I quite liked 12, 13 (even though I lost a ball after hitting an iron down the middle of the fairway) and 14, and thought 16, the par three, was truly exceptional.

Our wind was into us and off the sea on holes like 2, 11-13, etc. It wasn't as tough up top, but was quite interesting in the holes down below.

That said, loved the course. Glad I saw it.

Sean: I'd say the land seemed more conducive to golf on the back nine. The holes were never as extreme. Maybe they lacked the highs of the front, but all in all, I liked the stretch once you got up to the top of the property. Yes, 10 and perhaps 18 aren't great, but what's in-between is quite good. I did wonder about his propensity for steep-faced uphill greens. That showed up a few times, especially on the back nine.

Surprised to here it wasn't routed as nine and nine. Would have explained a lot in my mind.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2015, 11:29:42 PM by Robert Thompson »
Terrorizing Toronto Since 1997

Read me at Canadiangolfer.com

Thomas Dai

« Reply #127 on: April 29, 2015, 06:10:26 AM »
Not many bunkers at Perranporth (only 9 by my quick count). Struggling to think of any 18-hole links course I've played with less bunkers.

Bing satmap extract - http://binged.it/1GGODo2

atb

Sean_A

« Reply #128 on: April 30, 2015, 04:05:16 AM »
Not many bunkers at Perranporth (only 9 by my quick count). Struggling to think of any 18-hole links course I've played with less bunkers.

atb

atb

Do you think Perranporth needs more bunkers?

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Dunfanaghy, Fraserburgh, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Thomas Dai

« Reply #129 on: April 30, 2015, 05:49:28 AM »
atb
atb
Do you think Perranporth needs more bunkers?
Ciao
No! Just a general observation. Given the terrain it could probably get away with having none at all!
atb

Ed Tilley

« Reply #130 on: November 10, 2015, 04:26:57 AM »
I played Perranporth again a couple of weeks ago, the day after playing St. Enodoc. These 2 are probably my favourite courses and they did not disappoint. St.Enodoc was absolutely glorious - cloudless and barely a breeze. Just a great course. Perranporth was probably a 1-2 club prevailing breeze from the South West.

One thing that struck me about Perranporth this time is that, if you really think about what you're doing, then it isn't that unfair at all. If you just bang away with driver, which I've done previously, then you are asking for trouble. Holes like 5, 7, 8, 10, and 12 are ball donation holes if you are long and off line. I've always thought 7 was ridiculous but there is loads of space up to about 230 yards when it gets very narrow. You just need to be sensible and play short of the trouble and you'll be fine.

Despite not hitting the ball that well and putting terribly (38 putts) I was 10 over off 11 handicap. The only hole that I now have an issue with is the 4th which I previously liked. It is a fine looking hole but it just does not work. I hit my best shot of the day there - a gentle draw right at the flag. It turned into the only ball I lost all day and I still have no idea where it could have gone. It is too difficult a shot, particularly in the prevailing left to right breeze. I almost think it needs to be played as a 2 shotter.

Anyway, my love for Perranporth grows. It is certainly not mundane and has some fabulous holes - 2, 6, 9, 12, 14, and 16 are first class, with some other fine holes too. I will most certainly be back - several times!

Garland Bayley

« Reply #131 on: November 10, 2015, 07:34:06 PM »
Ed,

Didn't happen to give Bude and North Cornwall a go while in the area did you?

"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Ed Tilley

« Reply #132 on: November 11, 2015, 03:47:25 AM »
Ed,

Didn't happen to give Bude and North Cornwall a go while in the area did you?

Hi Garland,

No - I could only play on 2 of the days, due to a combination of family commitments and the weather. I was only 5 minutes from St.Enodoc so I was always going to play there. On the other day I had available I tried to get on early (on my own) at both Trevose and B&NC but they couldn't get me on at the right time so I went to Perranporth. No hardship as I love Perranporth but I hadn't played the other 2 so I would have liked to.

We go down there every couple of years so I'm sure I'll get on one day! Cheers,

Ed

Sam Krume

« Reply #133 on: November 12, 2015, 06:18:03 AM »
perranporth is an absolute wonder of a golf course IMO. If you dont enjoy a round at Perranporth then I think you golfing soul is bereft of fun. How can you not enjoy it//

Ian Andrew

« Reply #134 on: November 12, 2015, 07:55:58 AM »
perranporth is an absolute wonder of a golf course IMO. If you dont enjoy a round at Perranporth then I think you golfing soul is bereft of fun. How can you not enjoy it//

Sam,

While I agree with you, it's confusing through the first series of holes before becoming more "understandable" after. The opening fives require a "hit of faith" each and a peer over the hill to find out if your line was reasonably close. That's simply not for everyone.

Even if you can't find the love for this unusual layout, I can't see how you can't be absolutely blown away by the views all round. And there are great gems found withing too.

I proudly where my Perranporth tie at all the golf dinners I attend.
-

Ed Tilley

« Reply #135 on: November 12, 2015, 08:08:01 AM »
I proudly where my Perranporth tie at all the golf dinners I attend.

My only disappointment was that I wanted to buy a Perranporth polo shirt after the round as I love the logo. I have an old one that is completely worn out but there were only 3 or 4 shirts with the logo in the whole shop - and none in my size. Very odd.

Sean_A

« Reply #136 on: November 12, 2015, 08:53:23 AM »
Ed

Perranporth is one of the few places I felt guilty using the county card.  I thought the fee was too cheap given what the course provides.  I felt it necessary to support the pro so I bought my first and only course guide which I promptly ignored.  I also had my putter regripped.  I think it is wonderful that places like Perranporth still exist.

Ciao
« Last Edit: November 12, 2015, 09:10:59 AM by Sean_A »
New plays planned for 2024: Dunfanaghy, Fraserburgh, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Ian Andrew

« Reply #137 on: November 12, 2015, 09:03:48 AM »
Sean, got you covered ... I paid full fees, bought a guide for Robert, my only golf shirt on that trip and a tie ...    :)
-

Ed Tilley

« Reply #138 on: November 12, 2015, 09:23:19 AM »
Ed

Perranporth is one of the few places I felt guilty using the county card.  I thought the fee was too cheap given what the course provides.  I felt it necessary to support the pro so I bought my first and only course guide which I promptly ignored.  I also had my putter regripped.  I think it is wonderful that places like Perranporth still exist.

Ciao

Perranporth cost me £36 I think - no county card. St. Enodoc unbelievably cost me £45. The advertised rate was £75 (it was still summer rates) but if you played before 9am it was £45 which was a steal. I bought a golf top from St.Enodoc precisely because I though the Green Fee was, considering the weather and course condition, just about the best value I'd ever played.

I'm with you in that I think Perranporth is too cheap, particularly when you factor in the 2 for 1 offers. However, I think that is largely due to the fact that it is not in everyone's tastes. For every person, like us, who think it is an amazing place, there is another who thinks it is a bit "Mickey Mouse" - losing balls that are hit straight at the flag etc.. Long may they stay away and keep the costs down for us.

Sean_A

« Reply #139 on: November 12, 2015, 09:52:33 AM »
Ed

Ciao

Perranporth cost me £36 I think - no county card. St. Enodoc unbelievably cost me £45. The advertised rate was £75 (it was still summer rates) but if you played before 9am it was £45 which was a steal. I bought a golf top from St.Enodoc precisely because I though the Green Fee was, considering the weather and course condition, just about the best value I'd ever played.

I'm with you in that I think Perranporth is too cheap, particularly when you factor in the 2 for 1 offers. However, I think that is largely due to the fact that it is not in everyone's tastes. For every person, like us, who think it is an amazing place, there is another who thinks it is a bit "Mickey Mouse" - losing balls that are hit straight at the flag etc.. Long may they stay away and keep the costs down for us.

Gosh, I think I paid something like £40 for golf, guide and putter re-grip.  The golf was stupidly cheap; £21 high summer.

Ciao

Ed Tilley

« Reply #140 on: November 12, 2015, 10:52:03 AM »
The standard rate is £36 for a round, £41 for the day. The County card or 2 for 1 rate is £27.

Thomas Dai

« Reply #141 on: November 12, 2015, 02:47:26 PM »
Anyone stayed in the new onsite log-cabins/lodges accommodation at Perranporth GC?*

These ones - http://www.perranporthgolfclub.co.uk/accommodation

atb

* the accommodation used to be just caravans but recently they installed a couple of log-cabins/lodges as well.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2015, 04:28:28 AM by Thomas Dai »

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #142 on: May 30, 2019, 08:34:43 PM »
Perranporth this afternoon.

Completely crazy golf. I’m not sure if there were more than two holes without a barber pole.

Some fantastic stuff. Love quirky holes but to be honest, when it keeps up for 18 on the trot, it just becomes a bit tiring.

Unsure why Braid only designed three one-shotters on this land (2 over 200 yards). The best way to bring a little normality to proceedings would have been to build a couple more.

Utterly unique.

Sean_A

« Reply #143 on: June 03, 2019, 01:52:48 PM »
Ally

I too wonder why there aren't more short holes. Maybe the plethora of short 4s made that a difficult choice?

Ciao

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back