News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

tomgoutman

Northern Ireland and Northwest Ireland
« on: August 01, 2014, 05:07:14 PM »
Just back from nine days in Ireland/Northern Ireland. Played the following courses, listed in the order that I would rank them: Portmarnock (two rounds), RCD (two rounds), Portrush, Port Stewart, Baltray, Portrush--Valley course, Island, Royal Dublin. Some observations: Portmarnock (red and blue nines) has a quiet, relentless elegance which requires all the shots, has very few weak holes, and finishes strong; RCD finishes with a whimper (16, 17, and 18) and played in a light fog the second day, without the benefit of the dream-like backdrop of water and mountain, leaves one with a sense of claustrophobia and a touch of sadism--that said, its great holes are among the best I've played; Portrush doesn't have a weak hole, save perhaps a par five on the outward half; Port Stewart has a famously magnificent front nine, and the final nine (except 18) are sorely underrated; Baltray has a great collection of 3's and 4's, and if it had more views of water would be ranked by others much higher; The Valley Course is a proverbial "hidden gem" and thanks to Tom Doak for recommending it in a post a number of years ago; Island's front nine has so many wierd, mean-spirited holes that it took some lustre of the much superior inward half; Royal Dublin has four or five excellent holes, but seems pedestrian in this company. Your thoughts? How would you rank them?

Jim Eder

Re: Northern Ireland and Northwest Ireland
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2014, 05:25:31 PM »
Tom,

I would pretty much agree with you. Portmarnock is straight ahead great golf, not dramatic but very solid. RCD is dramatic, beautiful and one of the best I have ever played, the great holes are great, the few ok holes are very good on a stand alone basis. I wish the greens at RCD were a bit more interesting but tee to green it may be the best in the world. Royal Portrush I agree has mostly terrific holes, not as dramatic as RCD but absolutely a great golf course (what about that rough they had this year??). I was asked by a member at Portrush if I prefer RCD or Portrush. I honestly answered him that I love them both, they are like one's own children, tough to pick a fave. I would put Baltray ahead of Portstewart but wow is Portstewart dramatic. Baltray is solid golf as is Portstewart. The Valley course I was ignorant of before, corrected that recently, and loved the course. I will not miss playing it on another visit to the area but I would put it at the bottom of the courses you mention only because the others are so good, not as a knock on the Valley course. If the Valley course was a stand alone course I think people would play it (and enjoy it) every visit (or at least they should). The Island is quirky and fun and I agree that back 9 is awfully good. Royal Dublin I really enjoy and to me it is probably better than where you have it. To me Royal Dublin is very solid golf. Not many weak holes and many really solid holes. Not always dramatic but I find it a good and fun test with some very good 3s and 4s.

I am sure you had a great time. Those courses are pretty special in a wonderful part of the world and make for one amazing golf trip!  
« Last Edit: August 01, 2014, 05:38:26 PM by Jim Eder »

Matthew Hunt

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2014, 07:58:15 PM »
Tom,

What day did you play RCD,  coincidently I suspect I may of been caddying for one of the golfers in your group.

mike_malone

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2014, 09:54:58 PM »
You must have had some great advice on the course selection. I think your claustrophobic RCD comment is bold and true.
AKA Mayday

John Cowden

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2014, 11:42:46 PM »
Hi, Tom.  I'm planning a similar week next year.  It was a treat to find your thread and endorsement of much of what I'm planning.  What would you have thought about swapping out Island for Ardglass?  I also want to throw in a 36 hole day trip to Ballyliffin.  The trip would also include two rounds at Dunluce, two on RCD, one round on each Portmarnock course, and one round at Valley.  Hard to imagine a more delightful week of Irish links golf.  Cheers.

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2014, 07:20:26 AM »
Tom and Jim - I like your style.

Tim_Weiman

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2014, 12:08:26 PM »
Jim,

My recollection of the greens at Royal County Down is similar to what you describe.

I do wonder, however, if this is a virtue rather than a shortcoming of the course. The setting is so magnificent that perhaps the architecture shouldn't ever try to compete.

Bethpage Black has also been noted for the lack of interesting greens and perhaps it also doesn't need them. However, the case seems stronger at RCD. I'll take the beautiful setting over BB anytime.
Tim Weiman

Jim Eder

« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2014, 12:36:03 PM »
JCowden,

Personally I would not play Ardglass over The Island. Now the Island is quirky so if you want more straightforward golf Baltray or Royal Dublin might be a possible addition.

Your addition of Ballyliffin is a great idea. It is a bit of a hike from Portrush even with the ferry but you will enjoy the golf there. That will be a long day so maybe think about a stay overnight if you can.

I have to say, the people (members and employees) and the professional staff at Portmarnock, County Down, Portrush, Portstewart, and Baltray are some of the nicest people I have ever met. I was treated so wonderfully at every club, treated like a member. True class. I can't say enough about how friendly and helpful everyone was there. The food at Baltray was excellent as well. And having the opportunity to meet Mr. Christy O'Connor Sr. at Royal Dublin and spend a great deal of time with him (including a look at my swing) was an honor I will never forget. Not only is Mr. O'Connor a legend, he is one amazingly nice gentleman.

Enjoy your trip, it truly is hard to imagine a more delightful way to enjoy some great golf!! I wish I was in your shoes.

Ally,

Thank you very much.

Tim,

It very well may be a virtue. The setting truly is amazing. I will say that in my opinion, tee to green does hold its own with the setting, it is that good in my opinion. You have a point, RCD really doesn't need more interesting greens (they still are interesting in all fairness). I could play RCD every day the rest of my life and I would be extremely ecstatic and would call myself lucky. I can't wait for the Irish Open.......................... 

Bill_McBride

« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2014, 01:15:59 PM »
When in that Northern Ireland area I would also recommend Castlerock.  There are some terrific holes with uphill shots to greens benched into really big dunes.   There's a hole they call "Porkchop" that's a 170-190 par 3 with OOB right and a burn in front and left, with the green small in front and widening toward the back,left, hence the "Porkchop."

Thomas Dai

« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2014, 01:26:19 PM »
When in that Northern Ireland area I would also recommend Castlerock.  There are some terrific holes with uphill shots to greens benched into really big dunes.   There's a hole they call "Porkchop" that's a 170-190 par 3 with OOB right and a burn in front and left, with the green small in front and widening toward the back,left, hence the "Porkchop."

Leg o'mutton?

Castlerock has 27 links holes comprising the 18-hole Mussenden course plus the 9-hole Bann course. Play both courses if you go there.

atb

Bill_McBride

« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2014, 01:51:34 PM »

Leg o'mutton?

Castlerock has 27 links holes comprising the 18-hole Mussenden course plus the 9-hole Bann course. Play both courses if you go there.

atb

Ha ha, I knew it had to do with meat!   Really good hole. 

Jim Eder

« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2014, 02:28:10 PM »
Castlerock gets really dramatic when it moves closer to the dunes. The 4th is all world. 9 is a great par 3. 7 and 8 are terrific par 4s. The fairway on 12 has to be seen to be believed, unreal movement. The 15th tee shot is something. 16 is a fun par 3 and 17 really a solid par 5. There are many terrific holes. I totally agree with Bill. I sure enjoyed it.

I wish I had played the other 9. It looked really cool. I was on 18 when I watched a guy play to a green in dunes next to the 18th. Thought it looked really cool. I will take Thomas' advice on my next visit.

I would add, a very friendly place and I had a great dinner there. I will surely return.

tomgoutman

« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2014, 02:42:56 PM »
Matthew, our group was comprised of two foursomes, all from the Philly area. We played RCD on Monday, July 21 (tee time 3:18) andTuesday, July 22 (tee time 10:06). Mike, there are 27 holes at Portmarnoch. The "old" couse is red and blue  (played in that order). The yellow course looks quite nice. It is shorter and by reputation easier. It is the members' nine when the course is overrun with Yanks. We heard very good things about Castlerock and Ardglass, although most said not in the same class as Portrush, Port Stewart and, of course, RCD. I also heard great things about Ballyliffin, but it was too out of the way for us. I wouldn't miss Baltray, a great course to play when you are motoring from Dublin airport to points north.

BTW, for whaterver it's worth, I have pasted below the top 30 of the Golf Digest 2014 Ireland Golf Rankings, with a link below that for the whole article. As you can see, Portmarnoch is ranked #1 over RCD, perhaps for the first time (?).

Golf Digest Volvo Top 100 Ranked Golf Courses In Ireland 2014
1 Portmarnock Position: up 1
2 Royal County Down Position: down 1
3 Royal Portrush (Dunluce) Position: same
4 Waterville Position: same
5 Lahinch (Old) Position: same
6 Ballybunion (Old) Position: same
7 Tralee Position: up 1
8 Co Louth (Baltray) Position: up 1
9 The European Club Position: down 2
10 Adare Manor Position: Same
11 Ballyliffin Glashedy Links Position: up 1

12 Co Sligo (Rosses Point) Position: down 1

13 Enniscrone Position: Same

14 The Island Position: Same

15 Mount Juliet Position: Up 1

16 Carne Golf Links (Belmullet) Position: Up 4

17 Portstewart (Strand) Position: Down 2

18 Old Head Golf Links Position: Up 4

19 Killeen Castle Position: Down 2

20 Donegal (Murvagh Links) Position: Down 2

21 Ballyliffin Old Links Position: Same

22 Rosapenna (Sandy Hills) Position: Up 6

23 K Club (Palmer) Position: Down 4

24 Doonbeg Links Position: Up 2

25 Portsalon Position: Same

26 Portmarnock Links Position: Down 3

27 The Royal Dublin Position: Down 3

28 Lough Erne Position: Up 1

29 Carlow Position: Down 2

30 Dooks Position: Up 2

http://www.irishgolfdesk.com/news-files/2013/11/25/golf-digest-ireland-top-100-ranking-2014.html

Bill_McBride

« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2014, 05:12:04 PM »
Castlerock gets really dramatic when it moves closer to the dunes. The 4th is all world. 9 is a great par 3. 7 and 8 are terrific par 4s. The fairway on 12 has to be seen to be believed, unreal movement. The 15th tee shot is something. 16 is a fun par 3 and 17 really a solid par 5. There are many terrific holes. I totally agree with Bill. I sure enjoyed it.

I wish I had played the other 9. It looked really cool. I was on 18 when I watched a guy play to a green in dunes next to the 18th. Thought it looked really cool. I will take Thomas' advice on my next visit.

I would add, a very friendly place and I had a great dinner there. I will surely return.

I wish I had known about the good food at the Castlerock clubhouse.  We couldn't find anything in the town - stayed within walking distance - and twice drove into Coleraine for an excellent Chinese restaurant, the Water Garden.  Highly recommended. 

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back