News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Bret Lawrence

Re: Evangelist of Golf- Gibson Island bunkering
« Reply #25 on: November 25, 2021, 08:58:02 AM »
Brett,
Thank you for that. I appreciate it.

It's interesting the writer describes that third hole, the par-3, which really does look like a reverse Redan. (The other three one-shotters are the remaining usual templates.) But he describes it like a one-shot Cape Hole like 14 at National. Perhaps because of the tidal water coming near the hole. Any reason to believe it actually is was a "Cape" hole?

I do agree with the black and white aerial I have that the repeated use of the single, wrap-around back bunkers, albeit with some variation, does appear to have been overused.

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipP-pDy8zi5I_CqG4mNAWSMJ5Kw0-_C3RN8bdugZlG6A8eY1mF5UVcJn-5Y9zL60OQ/photo/AF1QipP2TM501fWf6r2nEpwQ5lB7GTX_uGadvYgkf6dq?key=WVhlaXhLdnlKRlNCTjNPQl9lbENBNzlEY04tZ3FR

Colin,

I have a feeling the author of this article got his signals crossed.  Maybe because most of the greens look like Cape style greens? The third hole was definitely a reverse Redan.  Hole 8 appears to be the Short, 10 was the Biarritz and 12 appears to be the Eden.  The Cape hole would have likely been the 9th hole. The green that stands out to me the most in that aerial is the 13th hole (top of the aerial). This 13th hole looks like a double Punchbowl or Lions Mouth to me.  This Lions Mouth would have predated the 16th at CC of Charleston.

Bret

Here is a cool oblique aerial showing a sliver of the 7th, all of the 8th, 9th and 10th holes.  You can also see the old 3rd green across the water. It looks like it’s hanging off the edge.. Ben posted this aerial earlier in this thread.

« Last Edit: November 25, 2021, 09:36:49 AM by Bret Lawrence »

Gib_Papazian

« Reply #26 on: November 25, 2021, 02:53:00 PM »
George and I always felt the original Gibson Island was on the short list of notable lost architectural treasures in American golf - and one nobody ever seemed to mention. I've not been out there in years - never played it, just took notes and pictures for the book - but a fair comparison (although only 9 holes by design) would be the lost Ocean Links in Newport that had quite a similar feel.

My recollection is the condition of Gibson Island was cavalier indifference - as if just another activity. Shabby without the chic if that makes sense.

Jim, do they have an consulting architect - or anybody with some historical perspective, knowledge and taste? A series of horseshoe bunkers looks more like amateurish tinkering than authentic respect for the original beauty. 

Jonathan Cummings

« Reply #27 on: November 27, 2021, 09:58:12 AM »

Lester George redid one hole at Gibson.  I believe they are in the process of OKing redoing the remaining 8 holes.

I've played Gibson a number of times and wrote two pieces (2009 and 2019) on the place (thanks John Mayhugh for helping with the links).  I've walked the lost nine.  There are still remains of two greensites - one in the woods and one next to a guy's yard right on the water.

I tried in 2009 to get them to hire Doak to redo the place but for whatever reason that didn't pan out.  Tom's "0" for Gibson in CG may suggest how that negotiation went :-)

Much of what is said about the Gibson course is true.  It's bucolic, understated and much about what once was or could be.  The residents and members love the Gatsby-like island environment (with good reason).  But to many of them the golf course is just a rather minor component.

Thinking I was far more connected than I was, Uncle George would call me up and rail that I needed to corral the DC deep pockets and resurrect Gibson (and Annapolis too for that matter).  "Yes George, right away George, do you want the full 36 or just 18....?"  :-)

George was sure right about one thing, Gibson is a pretty cool and unique place. 

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6c3v12ha0nzk99o/Gibson%20Island%20scan%202019.pdf?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/wmnh2n9x795xui0/Gibson%20Island_Page1-merged.pdf?dl=0

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back