News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Rob Marshall

Re: How long is this boom going to last?
« Reply #50 on: November 27, 2021, 11:30:27 AM »
Here's an interesting twist. Our club was crowded but you could get out.

https://www.golfchannel.com/news/charlotte-country-club-padres-wil-myers-suing-each-other-over-remaining-initiation-fee

I have a friend who joined a private club in 2019 without having to pay an initiation fee. It’s a Golden Age course that historically charged an initiation fee up through 2015 and started to see new memberships tank as other area clubs either dropped or got rid of their’s altogether. Starting in the third quarter of 2020 his club reinstated the initiation fee which was common with the golf boom brought on by COVID-19. He told me that there is resentment from both pre 2015 members as well as brand new members over the deal that he got. I’m sure this scenario is playing out across the land.

Tim,
At one time we had lower dues for new members than existing members at my club in Rochester. That's gone now. It bothered me as a long time member but it was a matter of survival at the time so I understood why we needed to do it.

I'm approaching retirement and have a place just off Marco Island. I'm a guy who needs to be a member at club. I like to practice and once I'm fully retired I want to be able to hang out a little. My wife would kill me if I was in the house all day long. The initiation fees have gone thru the roof. I'm down to 17th on a currently 600 person waiting list. They are going to ask for a deposit from the people on a waiting list on 1/1. Historically only 1 out of 4 or 5 actually joined when they got the call. They look at the deposit as a way to ween those people out. Clubs that are nothing great are now $30,000 to $60,000+++ with long waiting lists.

I like Clearwater, My wife doesn't. There is a club there I would love to join if we headed up that way. 18 months ago no waiting list and very reasonable initiation. Today the initiation is 5 times what it was and a 5 year waiting list...........
If life gives you limes, make margaritas.” Jimmy Buffett

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back