News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tommy Williamsen

The nearer the green the more interesting the shot
« on: November 21, 2021, 01:31:32 PM »
Some holes get more interesting or even more difficult the closer you get to the hole. In some ways this could be said of most courses but some holes demand more skill and imagination than others.
There are a lot of candidate holes. For instance, number one at TOC. Lay back 110 yards and it is a full PW or SW for most. Hit it to 50 yards and a SW from a tight lie is tough for your second shot of the day. That little burn suddenly becomes wider.
The same thing could be said of the par five second hole at Ballyhack, especially when the third shot is just over the middle bunker. Even a 60-degree sand wedge from forty yards will race to the back of the green unless perfectly struck. Farther back you can get a bit more spin.
Or maybe fourteen at Pebble Beach is an example. The first and second shots are relatively benign but the shot into the green is deadly difficult.
Number eight at Pine Valley might be the quintessential example. The tee shot, while important to place it well, doesn’t make you sweat nearly as much as the second shot, especially to the left green. From the fairway it looks like the smallest green on the planet.
What are some of your favorites?
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Mark_Fine

Re: The nearer the green the more interesting the shot
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2021, 01:54:18 PM »
Tommy,
Is it more interesting or more difficult or just scarier?  I just played #2 and while the tee shots on the par fours and fives are not so intimidating, the approach shots from any distance into those greens sure are.  For some, the real difficulty doesn’t start until they get a putter in hand and realize if they don’t hit it perfect they might be playing their next shot with a wedge! 

I think once you know what lies ahead, you know.  It’s like at Pine Valley, most of the tee shots are forgiving but it is one of the most challenging second shot courses in all of golf. #2 is right there with it only at #2 you know you will always find your ball.  Not so sure of that at PV.

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2021, 01:00:44 PM »
Mark, it might be all three, but often the nearer you are to hole the more the ground game comes into play and the player needs to account for slope and undulation.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

mike_malone

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2021, 10:03:54 PM »
When more than ten of the greens are raised and the holes that are at grade still have challenges for short approaches or shots around the green then you have great interest as you get closer to the green.

I experience that nearly every day at my home course—Rolling Green.

Only number ten which is a long par three is gettable short and in front of the green.
AKA Mayday

Steve Lang

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2021, 11:07:17 PM »
 8)  You know, if you spend your formative years playing a par 3 course, its just the shot, do what you have to do, dispassionately... if possible ;D
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

Thomas Dai

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2021, 12:43:57 PM »
… and the more interesting/wonderful/epic/evil/cunning/sneaky/wicked the green the more important it is to position your previous shot in the optimum location?
Atb

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2021, 01:30:22 PM »
… and the more interesting/wonderful/epic/evil/cunning/sneaky/wicked the green the more important it is to position your previous shot in the optimum location?
Atb

Absolutely right. On holes that have interesting green complexes leaving yourself in the proper place is essential. I spent a few days at Dormie this autumn and some recovery shots were impossible from the wrong places. Fifteen is a short par four but I have chipped off the green when the pion is on the right side of the green.
St. John of the Cross

Steve Wilson

« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2021, 09:32:43 AM »
I've always been in favor of the concept that "the dragon waits at the end."

Make it easy for the parlous knight to get a glimpse of the fair maiden, but make sure the dragon has at least one tooth and breathes, if not fire, at least some heavy fumes.

Some days you play golf, some days you find things.

I'm not really registered, but I couldn't find a symbol for certifiable.

"Every good drive by a high handicapper will be punished..."  Garland Bailey at the BUDA in sharing with me what the better player should always remember.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back