News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Sean_A

Drifting in Donegal: ROSAPENNA GC OTM LINKS New
« on: July 27, 2014, 05:38:03 AM »
First, let me say I don't think there is much of OTM's work on display at the OTM Links!  However, lets not take away a great photo opportunity of perhaps the most easily recognized figure in golf.

The OTM Links has a convoluted history of which I can make little sense.  It would appear that the Strand 9 (oddly titled front nine of the course that isn't near the strand) is in the main a quite new Pat Ruddy routing which may have used bits of an earlier routing by E Hackett. Renaissance was commissioned to make a few alterations and redo the greens.  I am not sure what was done in terms of the contours or surrounds of greens, however, they did move the 5th green to a completely new site, making it a par 4. This change I believe necessitated making the 6th a longer par 4.  The back nine or Valley 9 (which is near the strand!) is likely a combination of Colt holes mixed with heavy modifications.  I didn't think the two nine blended well together.  The front is in the main a tightly routed group of holes over rolling, humpty bumpty terrain while the back nine seems more open, over a larger area and with markedly flatter fairways.  The card will confirm that from the daily tees the back nine is close to 350 yards longer and it feels this way.  There is also a marked difference in the fairway width and condition of rough.  The back nine is wider with much more punishing rough while the front nine is tighter with much more whispy rough.  Many will disagree with me, but the Strand 9 was my favourite nine holes of the trip.  To me, the land is a bit less wild providing for more playable and interesting holes.  The greens are not complex, but are more intriguing than those on the rest of the property.  There are, however, a few wild and wooly spots to pique one's interest.

Map of the Rosapenna property.

Unlike the Sandy Hills Links, the first is a gentle start to an open fairway bending right.  The short second plays straight toward the road.  It would seem some work has been recently done as there are two greens.  I believe we played the new green further left.  I thought it would be cool if the two greens were connected, thus creating a big double green.  The Coastguard Acedemy 9 is partly in the background across the street on high ground.

A shortish two-shotter played between low-lying dunes draped in superb rough, the 3rd is very pleasant.  The straight-away fourth is more of the same.   

I spose one could grumble about the parallel holes and similar yardages for the par 4s.  I suspect the Renaissance changes may have added to the yardage similarity, but I am not sure.  The fifth slides around a corner to an angled green.  Bouncers need to be precise for the terrain feeds to two right greenside bunkers. The hole is quite short and it is easy for the long ball to miss right and be left with an awkward approach over the previously mentioned bunkers.  In effect, this hole sets up beautifully for the 200-220 yard hitter.  Things get a bit hairy for the remainder of the front nine.  I am not convinced by the 6th, but no matter, it is from here the front nine goes on a wonderful ride.  The hole plays down a funnel to a drive zone which is quite tight.  I reckon a bit of insider knowledge helps here.  One can easily lay back to the fatter part of the fairway because the second continues down the funnel and doesn't play anything close to its listed yardage.  One can just about bumble one down the left and it will end up on the dance floor or somewhere nearby.  The 7th, however, is he-man golf.  Played over a chasm, the green sits on a plateau.  One might think a foozle is dead, but there is a play from the depths of the dip. From the daily tee at 180 yards the hole looks menacing, however, from the 120 yard ladies tee the carry isn't bad.

I am not sure what to make of the 8th either!  The drive is somewhat blind.  Because of the green position and bunkering, a sort of double dogleg is created.  The green is an absolute killer with its tilt from right to left that is blind from the driving zone.   

Taken from left of green. 

I think my favourite hole of the trip, the 9th, seems like it never stops turning left! 

The hole features a superb red herring bunker down the left.  The best play is to stay online, but short of the bunkers seen in right of the photo.

If the hole is cut in the back left of the green it doesn't appear as if there is anyway to get at the hole.  I just accepted this and played right. Low and behold my ball kicked and ran miles left; what a lovely surprise!

More to follow.

Ciao
« Last Edit: September 01, 2019, 07:41:42 PM by Sean_A »
New plays planned for 2024: Fraserburgh, Turnberry, Isle of Harris, Benbecula, Askernish, Traigh, St Medan, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Ally Mcintosh

Re: Drifting in Donegal: Rosapenna OTM Links
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2014, 05:42:11 AM »
I can give you a full history here when I get a sec later...

Suffice to say the back nine is primarily Colt and holes 12 - 15 is one of my favourite stretches in Ireland.

Ally

Thomas Dai

Re: Drifting in Donegal: ROSAPENNA GC OTM LINKS New
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2014, 09:11:49 AM »
Splendid. I recall the 7th hole as having two greens. Looking forward to seeing the lovely back-9.

There are some older photos of the Strand-9 on this thread - http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,41901.0.html

Later edit - I found this thread with photo about the 2 greens on the 7th hole - http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,50199.0.html

atb
« Last Edit: August 02, 2014, 09:09:22 AM by Thomas Dai »

Tom_Doak

Re: Drifting in Donegal: ROSAPENNA GC OTM LINKS
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2014, 11:46:04 AM »
Sean:

Happy to hear you liked the front nine.

The only routing change I made was to shorten the 5th hole from a par 5 to a par 4.  The gully over which you hit the tee shot for the 6th was in front of the original green at the 5th, and blind to the golfer hitting his second shot on the hole, kicking off into trouble on both sides.  I suggested they reduce par and gain a good 4.

Eric Iverson, assisted by George Waters, did the work which included digging a few bunkers [there were hardly any on the course as I first saw it] and re-contouring nearly all of the front nine greens, including the 9th which you liked.  The 5th and 7th greens are moved from their original spots.  [The 7th still has the Ruddy green as an alternate; it looked like they were using it the day I was there in June.]

The back nine is indeed mostly Mr. Colt's work, though it has been lengthened considerably in recent years -- easy to do so given the width and relatively flat terrain.

Sean_A

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2014, 02:25:31 PM »
Tom

Yes, the front nine is the star of the property so far as I am concerned. 

Funny, I didn't notice two greens on #7.  Which is it I have shown above?  I did notice two greens on the second and it does cause some visual issues on the tee. 

The 9th is really a cool hole.  The shaping of the green effectively allows the hole to play much wider than the fairway suggests.  And, quite literally, the hole may play easier with hole cut in the rear of the green even though it doesn't appear that way because the entire surface feeds to the back left.  Essentially, the hole looks a brute, but plays much easier than it appears. 

OTM LINKS TOUR CONTINUED

After the uplifting 9th, we now make the long trek through the unattractive parking lot to a part of the property which could be mistaken for abandoned.  To top it off, the Valley 9 opens with two rather dull par 4s.  The 12th though is a fine two-shotter with a centre-line bunker.  The excellent green site is tucked between a dune and a bunker.  At 383 yards the hole isn't long, but remains quite challenging.  Next up is the sucker par 4.  One can play straight at the green over rough down the right or play safely left.  The safe option can leave an awkward approach, but it takes a long ball to reach the green. The photo below is taken from just beyond the carry point down the right.

From behind the green, one can see how its difficult to use the ampitheatre green surround to good effect if approaching from a lay-up spot n the left of the fairway.

An excellent par three (among an excellent set!), #14 takes us the farthest reaches of the course. The left bunker works well with the slope of the green.  The photo below is taken from left of the green looking back toward the tee.

Heading for home, 15 is a straight-forward two-shotter. 

A very tough hole, the long 16th is a welcome change of pace in terms of length variety.  The last of the par 3s, #17 is another very good hole featuring dead ground shy of the green.

The home hole is a bit of a slog into the wind and it joins 10 and 11 as the low points of the course.  A very mixed bag the Valley 9 and for my money far inferior to the Strand 9.  Even so, there are some excellent holes punctuated with good short holes.  In fact, the short holes are the strength of the course for me.  Its a shame there is such a disparity in quality and feel between the nines because I think the property should yield a better golf course.  I originally intended to play Dunfanaghy instead of at least one Rosapenna course, but I figured the convenience of staying on property for two nights after some hard travel the previous few days might be a bit easier to cope with.  I wasn't mistaken as I think our party enjoyed staying at the resort even if some thought it a bit soulless as evidenced by a nowhere near capacity crowd and many rooms used for what seemed like storage.  If one does choose to stay on site some good deals can be had which rather makes the listed 80 Euros a round rate look silly. 

The clubhouse too is rather overly large and lacking character, but the view from the patio is delicious!

Previous courses on the Drifting in Donegal Tour. 

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,59129.0.html  Portsalon

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,59070.0.html  Cruit Island

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,59008.0.html   Narin & Portnoo

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,59240.msg1392946.html#msg1392946  Rosapenna Sandy Hills

Ciao
« Last Edit: November 23, 2015, 01:04:40 PM by Sean_A »
New plays planned for 2024: Fraserburgh, Turnberry, Isle of Harris, Benbecula, Askernish, Traigh, St Medan, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Thomas Dai

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2014, 03:39:14 PM »
On the 2nd hole we also played to the left hand of the two greens and I also wondered if they were planning to join both together at some stage in the future.

We played the same 7th hole as you played, the one over the chasm. I recall the 'other hole' being of a pretty much similar distance and playing parallel but to the left with a line of dunes in between. The 'other hole' doesn't play over the same chasm though.

This was slightly confusing but not as confusing as after playing the par-5 13th on the Sandy Hills course. We correctly played to the newer right hand green and then struggled to find the 14th tee!

We liked the front-9 but preferred the back-9. The back-9 just seemed to flow beautifully with the 12th, 13th and 14th being really cracking holes with lovely greensites. The 600 yd 18th does indeed go on forever, even downwind, but you're quite correct about the view from the patio behind the 18th green which provides a really spectacular view over the back-9 of the course and Sheephaven Bay. You can even see the outlines of the fairways that are still being cut at St Patricks and as far as the whitewashed Doe Castle. A lovely spot, although the clubhouse is rather lacking in atmosphere despite the friendly,. helpful and very efficient staff.

A very nice photo tour that brings back some good memories.

atb

Jonathan Mallard

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2014, 08:52:56 PM »
Sean,

Did you get a chance to look at what is now the Coastguard 9? Donal started a photo thread a while back, but truncated it at the old 14th. I thought what are now the 3rd, 4th, 5th, and 7th were among the best holes on the property.

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2014, 04:12:16 AM »
So, a short and simplistic history of Rosapenna courses:

1.   Old Tom Morris built the 18 that primarily consisted of the Coastguard nine and nine holes in and around the headland where the old hotel sat (about 150 yards further back from the current clubhouse)
2.   1906 – Harry Vardon made a few changes to the routing on those headland holes
3.   1913 – Colt got rid of many of the headland holes and extended the lower holes right out through the “Valley”, creating many / most of the current back nine
4.   1990’s – Hackett designed 10 new holes over some of the land which now holds the Sandy Hills course and some of the land that now holds the front “Strand” nine of the OTM
5.   2000ish – Ruddy says why settle for these holes when you can build a brand new 18 up on the main dune ridge – Sandy Hills
6.   2006ish – Ruddy then engaged to build a new nine holes (The Strand) using some of the leftover Hackett holes but primarily rerouting and building from scratch. This becomes the new front nine of OTM. Coastguard nine become the “Academy” course
7.   2009ish – Renaissance / Eric Iverson reshapes the greens on this nine (plus other work Tom states)

There are other changes and modifications but these are the key ones…

Sean – You are the first person I’ve come across that prefers the Strand nine to the Valley nine… I don’t think you are way off the mark –I thought the Strand nine was really great golf… plus I spent a lot of time studying the greens shaping and came up with one or two conclusions that would help me so it was a really beneficial visit…

I also think 10, 11 and 18 aren’t really showstoppers on the Valley nine… But what’s in between is really, really great… 12 – 14 people seem to agree with… But the green on 15 is maybe the best on the property for internal contour… and 16 & 17 are excellent holes too…

Overall, I found OTM to be a heap of fun…

Ally

Sean_A

« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2014, 04:34:56 AM »
Ally

Thanks for potted history. 

I prefer the Strand 9 because it is more consistent than the Valley 9.  It doesn't have any holes as dull as 10, 11 & 18 - thats 1/3 of the Valley (and all three are long holes) which is dull - thats too much to overlook.  Three other aspects point me toward preferring the Strand.  I think it has better land, roly poly stuff which creates interesting lies...and better greens.  The best hole on the property is Strand #9.  I preferred the rough on the Strand. 

All that said, OTM for me falls well short of great golf, but its very good - I think probably at least as good as Portsalon and N&P.  Perhaps if the pacing of the holes were better balanced than I may like OTM Links more. I disliked the similarity of hole lengths on the front and back.  The land is also totally different between 9s.  It was to me like two separate courses, signaled by the poor walk between 9s, pushed together as one.  I don't think it works very well.  I wonder if there was the possibility of building one really great course on the property.  There is a great variety of links style terrain. 

Out of curiosity, where does OTM Links lie on the Doak Scale for you?  We may be talking the same thing, but using different ways to arrive at the conclusion!

Ciao
« Last Edit: January 10, 2016, 06:37:34 AM by Sean_A »

Thomas Dai

« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2014, 05:35:45 AM »
Sean highlights the 9th hole as "my favourite hole of the trip....seems like it never stops turning left!"

Here's a further photo of the hole taken from the back of the green. Yip, it certainly does seem like it never stops turning left.

and Ally mentions the 15th green as being "maybe the best on the property for internal contour". Here is a photo of the hole that gives an indication of the greens internal contouring. There is also nice a roll-off over the rear and on the right hand side.

atb

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2014, 08:16:51 AM »
Sean I’m really not trying to be contrary but…

I liked the new holes very much and to my mind they are a huge improvement over the coastguard 9.  So anyone wondering if it’s worth a trip back?  Yes definitely.

But …maybe I’d now seen two many holes between low slung dunes and was already missing the sea views, I just didn’t thing the front 9 added up to any more than the sum of it’s not inconsiderable charms.  Then the walk between the two is very awkward and yet  I found I really enjoyed 10 & 11.   Agreed they are not very sophisticated, but the turf is as true links as you could wish for. You are invited to open up your shoulders with a driver and then bounce the ball in the last 40 yards.  A real refresher.   The next few holes are great fun and yes maybe the 18th drones on a bit.  So with that killer walk and the fact you are really playing two 9 holer’s consecutively, I thought the course overall was a notch below N&P and Portsalon.  However given how much I enjoyed them I’ve definitely got this one on the list for an early return.

PS perhaps inspired by the Tom Morris Statue, I went for a swim afterwards.   BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR! You have been warned.
Let's make GCA grate again!

jeffwarne

« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2014, 09:51:10 AM »
Well summarized Tony.
The unattractive walk between nines, the creepy looming clubhouse (and clientele both times I was there) all conspire to make it a missed ,disjointed opportunity in my opinion.
I preferred what is now the back nine-despite the fact that I thought the new front was pretty good.
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Sean_A

« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2014, 04:19:06 AM »
Spangles and Jeff

It sounds like you are saying some of the same things I am - no?  Yet we have a disconnect (or seemingly so) in what we think about the course.

I think for me, unless I am looking for convenience, I would throw OTM Links back and look for different links when next in the area - its not a keeper on the merits of the course alone.  Even though I likely think OTM Links is better than Portsalon and N&P, I didn't feel as engaged by the architecture.  To take a page from Doak's book, the course was of a more consistent quality, but the high points weren't as high the previous two courses.

Ciao

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2014, 04:36:29 AM »
Sean,

To answer your earlier question, I'm never really sure how to implement the Doak scale so I don't... I know I loved the course (not as much as Portsalon but I rate that very highly) and I know that for me it is up there and I’d be happy to play it every day of the week – there is good variety in them there holes…

However, I get the slightly disconnected feel between the two nines, both in geography and in style… You should know that the medium term plan is to build a new nine using the St.Patricks land and connect it to the existing back “Valley” nine… Whoever gets that work will need to be extremely careful in my opinion. There is a possibility to make it a great course but the architect will have to temper any notions to impose style and drama on the holes because the Valley nine are full of understated, old-school architecture – making the new holes blend in will be the key to its success, something the existing Strand holes don’t quite manage… Geographically they will sit perfectly so no issue there...

Ally

Thomas Dai

« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2014, 04:43:35 AM »
In some ways comparing OTM/SH with the likes of Portsalon/N&P is typical of comparing resort courses with private clubs.

On the one hand quality and efficiency, on the other hand atmosphere, quirk and eccentricity (fun?). I do like the golf at OTM/SH though, and wish I'd played the 12-hole pitch-n-putt course there too, as that looks wickedly good.

atb

Sean_A

« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2014, 05:22:38 AM »
Ally

Isn't the St Pat's land more like SH and Strand 9?  To me, the outlier holes are the Valley 9.  They are flat fairway holes so incorporating the St Pat's property (if I understand the land) into the Valley 9 will to some degree have the same problems as the Strand 9.  I could be wrong, but I think it will be a struggle to get the bits of land to blend together well.     

Ciao

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2014, 05:53:53 AM »
Ally

Isn't the St Pat's land more like SH and Strand 9?  To me, the outlier holes are the Valley 9.  They are flat fairway holes so incorporating the St Pat's property (if I understand the land) into the Valley 9 will to some degree have the same problems as the Strand 9.  I could be wrong, but I think it will be a struggle to get the bits of land to blend together well.     

Ciao

My opinion is that you are indeed wrong.

The valley continues for another 500 metres before widening out to flats, one large sand hill at the end of the property and on the near side, an extension of the Sandy Hills dune ridge that contains some fantastic blowouts.

With the right routing, the new holes could gradually up the drama whilst retaining the style and cohesive feel of the Valley nine. The challenge for whichever architect is chosen will be to refrain from "over-designing"... See my subtlety vs eye-candy thread...

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2014, 07:50:37 AM »
Spangles and Jeff

It sounds like you are saying some of the same things I am - no?  Yet we have a disconnect (or seemingly so) in what we think about the course.

Yes I suspect we’re not that far apart but reading your reviews this trip don’t seem to have the usual perspective.  Normally you adopt a low key approach but a quiet respect for the course shines though. Here you seem to have the balance more on what isn’t ideal, emphasizing the weak holes or the travel or the bland clubhouse… I’m waiting to read you ran out of sun tan lotion!     Are these courses any less remote to this audience than say St Enedoc,  Harlech, Southerness or Brora?  Yet that’s the impression I’m getting.

I hope the tour isn’t finished but it is worth pointing out that while Donegal may not have any world top 100 courses it has an amazing depth of tier 2 courses. In addition to those mentioned so far I’ve yet to see, Murvagh, North West, Dunfanaghy and Ballyliffen Old! Clearly another trip is required.

For the antidote to the travelling golf holiday in Ireland, folks could do a lot worse than pick a combination starting at Portrush and picking their way round the coast to Carne.  About 15 ‘great’ courses with barely an hours drive between each and any one on this board would enjoy exploring them all.  Donegal Rocks!

http://www.golfadventureguides.com/IrelandGolfSat/ 
Let's make GCA grate again!

Sean_A

« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2014, 08:07:03 AM »
Ally

Thanks.

Spangles

Yes, I was disappointed in the quality of the courses.  None of them came close to knocking me out.  Perhaps I fell for the mega hype they received by some on this site.  Perhaps I was spoiled earlier in the week.  Perhaps I am becoming less enamoured with hilly/dunesy courses.  Hard to say, but the courses didn't tick enough boxes to earn a star in my book.  That said, I would like to go back to Portsalon (especially because it makes a lot more logistical sense) and OTM - I enjoyed them enough for a return engagement, but there are other courses in the "general" area I would also like to see.  Can't do them all so it pays to be selective.   

Ciao   
« Last Edit: January 10, 2016, 06:40:28 AM by Sean_A »

Frank Pont

« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2014, 05:54:35 AM »
Sean,

could the Colt 9 holes be expanded to the right of holes 14 and 15?

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2014, 06:45:18 AM »
Sean,

could the Colt 9 holes be expanded to the right of holes 14 and 15?

Frank,

That is the owners' intention, yes....

Thomas Dai

« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2014, 07:03:39 AM »
It would be a shame to lose the lovely par-3 14th.

Perhaps something could be done to keep the 14th hole as is and kinda 'figure-of-eight' the 'new course' routing further out along the valley onto the St Patricks land and then return to join up with the fine 15th. I guess this way the current par-3 14th would become the 'new 5th' and the existing 15th would remain the 15th if you get my drift.

Any thoughts on how the current Strand-9 could become 18-holes? From looking at Flashearth there doesn't seem to be an obvious way of connecting the Strand-9 to any of the St Patricks holes unless some sort of combination with the existing Sandy Hills course is incorporated. I suppose if necessary the Strand-9 could be combined with the 9-holes that go up onto the hill on the other side of the main road to make another 18-hole course.

Wonderful spot overall. Somewhere I'd certainly like to return to.

atb
« Last Edit: July 30, 2014, 07:14:08 AM by Thomas Dai »

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2014, 07:13:04 AM »

Perhaps something could be done to keep the 14th hole as is and kinda 'figure-of-eight' the 'new course' routing further out along the valley onto the St Patricks land and then return to join up with the fine 15th. I guess this way the current par-3 14th would become the 'new 5th' and the existing 15th would remain the 15th if you get my drift.

Any thoughts on how the current Strand-9 could become 18-holes? From looking at Flashearth there doesn't seem to be an obvious way of connecting the Strand-9 to any of the St Patricks holes unless some sort of combination with the existing Sandy Hills course is incorporated. I suppose if necessary the Strand-9 could be combined with the 9-holes that go up onto the hill on the other side of the main road to make another 18-hole course.

atb

Thomas,

The way you state is exactly the way it would work. Losing the 14th would not be an option.

There is no way of extending the Strand nine holes. They would be left as a nine holer or combined with the Coastguard 9 as a new 18.

Thomas Dai

« Reply #23 on: July 30, 2014, 07:21:31 AM »
atb
Thomas,
The way you state is exactly the way it would work. Losing the 14th would not be an option.
There is no way of extending the Strand nine holes. They would be left as a nine holer or combined with the Coastguard 9 as a new 18.

Thanks Ally,

Keep the 14th - yippee! :) - super hole.

One point I omitted to mention above is that the OTM doesn't have a sprinkler system, just manholes and hoses.

So much lovely golfing property at Rosapenna.

As a general aside, Tony makes a really great point above when he says "folks could do a lot worse than pick a combination starting at Portrush and picking their way round the coast to Carne.  About 15 ‘great’ courses with barely an hours drive between each and any one on this board would enjoy exploring them all.  Donegal Rocks!"

atb
« Last Edit: August 03, 2014, 05:16:05 AM by Thomas Dai »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back