News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mark Pearce

Advice Request: Gary Player course at Sun City
« on: July 30, 2014, 03:28:51 AM »
My 18 year old son, who plays off a CONGU 12 handicap but is rather better than that (he has a winning record against single figure golfers in our club's junior league team this year) is currently on a rugby tour in South Africa.  He has been offered the chance to play the Player course at Sun City this afternoon and has asked if I know what it's like.  I have no idea, has anyone here played it or have any insight?  The alternative appears to be an afternoon in the water park with team mates....
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Greg Taylor

Re: Advice Request: Gary Player course at Sun City
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2014, 08:05:24 AM »
It's always a difficult call trying to second guess someone else's preferences esp when a water park is involved.

I played Sun City a few years ago and enjoyed it... a 5 or 6 on the Doak scale I would say... however I know there has been some Ogilivy/Clayton renovation work recently, or at least some was planned.

All other things being equal I would get a thumbs up from me...

There is another track, further from Perth called Kennedy Bay which would be a must play down there... better than Lake Karrinyup IMHO.

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2014, 08:54:43 AM »
It's always a difficult call trying to second guess someone else's preferences esp when a water park is involved.

I played Sun City a few years ago and enjoyed it... a 5 or 6 on the Doak scale I would say... however I know there has been some Ogilivy/Clayton renovation work recently, or at least some was planned.

All other things being equal I would get a thumbs up from me...

There is another track, further from Perth called Kennedy Bay which would be a must play down there... better than Lake Karrinyup IMHO.

Greg you are in the wrong country. Mark is talking about Sun City in South Africa.
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2014, 09:06:21 AM »
I played it and Lost City when I was there a couple years ago.  Gary Player CC is a long slog.  That said it is pretty good with good bunkering.  The holes around the lake are some of the best.  The Million $ challenge, now the Needbank,  is played there.  I enjoyed the round and would play it again if there. Lost City isn't as good but worth the drive over there to see the Crocodile hole.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Mark Pearce

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2014, 09:15:12 AM »
Thanks, Tommy.  I think they decided to go ahead and play, so it will be interesting to see what they made of it.  I suspect it will be very different from anything he has played before.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Scott Macpherson

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2014, 09:17:00 AM »
Hi Mark,

Some water has passed under the bridge since I played at Sun City in 2000, but I have to say that I have fond memories of the experience. The architect who designed the course with Gary Player was Denis Griffiths from Atlanta, GA, USA. There is some nice elevation change, some good views and the greens were interesting. Perhaps the most interesting feature is the Crocodile (or Alligator???) pit next to one of the par 3 greens, but yes, I would suggest he play the course.

Scott

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back