News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Dónal Ó Ceallaigh

Ruddy plans to "revitalise" Rosses Point
« on: July 14, 2014, 02:05:49 PM »
http://www.independent.ie/sport/golf/ruddy-opens-new-possibility-for-rosses-30428599.html

I walked the course during the Home Internationals in 1993(?), so can't remember that much. Any thoughts on the proposed changes?

No mention of changes to hole 17 in the first phase. I've never heard anything positive said about the drive at this hole; maybe this is one hole where the tee needs to be pushed back some distance?

Niall C

Re: Ruddy plans to "revitalise" Rosses Point
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2014, 02:27:32 PM »
Donal

Only played the course once and its probably in my top 5 if ever I draw up that list. Simply superb. I'm not one to say that any course should be left untouched however the thought that Pat Ruddy is to do the work doesn't fill me with confidence. I'm perhaps being unjust but the comment on the European and from what I've seen of it in pictures, together with limited experience of his handy work elsewhere (par 3 at Donegal which was worse than sh!te - apologies Mr Ruddy if it's not your handywork) doesn't suggest so.

Niall

Garland Bayley

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2014, 02:59:04 PM »
Liverpool is flawed, because if you choose to hit it shorter off the tee you can still win?
Please keep this man away from any course that Joe Ordinary would like to play.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Charlie Gallagher

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2014, 03:00:16 PM »
     I too have only played it once. It is quite different than other links in that it is drapped over 3 distinct land forms, a slope near the club house, a large dune bowl that sits in the middle of the property, and a ridge and slope that makes up its northern-eastern side.
     I think I need more than Mr. Ruddy's verbal representations regarding proposed changes to evaluate them. He is a native to the Sligo area and I have conversed with him about the course of his boyhood introduction to the game. There is no question that he has considerable reverence for County Sligo. That gives me some trust that he won't muck up the fine course that is there.
   Waiting to see a plan depicting the adjustments to be made.

Thomas Dai

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2014, 03:06:42 PM »
I think the CS-RP Championship course does need some attention. It's IMO not quite what it could be and with the these days better roads beefed-up Enniscrone plus magical Carne (as well as close-by Strandhill) in the general locality the competition to be 'top-dog' in the Sligo/Mayo area is perhaps more than it once was.

Here's a picture thread I did about CS-RP last year with some very nice additional photos kindly added by other posters -
http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,56266.0.html

Gorgeous location though, and ever such a friendly place.

atb

Sean_A

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2014, 03:45:26 PM »
Donal

I like the 17th just as it is so there is one positive comment. 

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Dunfanaghy, Fraserburgh, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2014, 05:19:21 PM »
Donal

Only played the course once and its probably in my top 5 if ever I draw up that list. Simply superb. I'm not one to say that any course should be left untouched however the thought that Pat Ruddy is to do the work doesn't fill me with confidence. I'm perhaps being unjust but the comment on the European and from what I've seen of it in pictures, together with limited experience of his handy work elsewhere (par 3 at Donegal which was worse than sh!te - apologies Mr Ruddy if it's not your handywork) doesn't suggest so.

Niall

I think you mean this one Niall.

http://www.golfcoursearchitecture.net/Article/Ballyliffin-opens-newlook-par-three-seventh-on-Glashedy-course/3144/Default.aspx

When I played TEC there was a schematic of one of hte Par 3's there which had been voted one of the top 500 holes in the World. By the time I got there the bunkering had been totally changed and it stll wasn't that special.

I am mystified and saddened.

PS please don't change the 17th it's the only golfer picture I have on my walls.
Let's make GCA grate again!

Niall C

« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2014, 03:35:52 AM »
Tony

The par 3 I was referring to was on Murvagh (Donegal GC) which is an Eddie Hacket course. To tell you the truth I thought the whole course could have been better but the par 3 that I was told was designed by Ruddy consisted of an inverted shamrock shaped green with bunkers left, right and back that were circular shallow bunkers with little or no face. Totally rudimentary with nothing that you would call shaping.

I would emphasize that I was told it was his work but that info could be wrong or the greenkeepers or whoever built the green might have disregarded his plans, I don't know, but can't imagine any of the GCA's on here would have been happy to have there name associated with it.

Niall

Scott Warren

« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2014, 01:35:39 PM »
All I would say is it has been eight years since that Open and Pat Ruddy is the first person of any significance to voice that opinion about Hoylake.

But at least the didn't compare himself to David Copperfield this time. 

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2014, 02:38:00 PM »
What is so mystifying is why the club believe the course needs to be revitalised i.e. tougher.

What event to they hope to attract here?  The Irish Open? Not unless someone stumps up a ton of sponsorship money.

It already has a fantastic event that opens the still vibrant Amateur season in Ireland round about Easter each year. Some have to qualify and then it’s 36 holes of strokeplay followed by 64 playing in a knockout Matchplay. The weather at Easter tends to be wild and scores in the qualifier more often tend to be high. Winners include most of the greatest names in Irish golf (excepting the O’Connor’s and Fred Daly who were to the best of my knowledge always Professionals) including Harrington and McIlroy.

More on the history
http://www.countysligogolfclub.ie/west-of-ireland/history/

I looked for evidence of the scores but they are hard to find. Here 's a couple of years .  

http://www.irishgolfdesk.com/news-files/2009/4/11/kearney-top-qualifier-in-west-of-ireland.html
It was won by Shane Lowry who a year later won his first European Tour event as an Amateur He finished T4 at last weeks Scottish open

http://www.irishgolfdesk.com/news-files/2013/3/30/mcnamara-tops-qualifiers-as-play-suspended-in-west.html

Members, why would you want a tougher course?
« Last Edit: July 15, 2014, 02:40:29 PM by Tony_Muldoon »
Let's make GCA grate again!

Richard Phinney

« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2014, 12:49:47 PM »
I think my biggest concern would be the 23 new bunkers...that's a lot to add at once to a course that has so many satisfying holes, and where the bunkers are unubtrusive visually. I'd be more comfortable if he made some serious adjustments to a couple of holes and left much of the rest alone.

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2014, 01:10:38 PM »
I really do not understand people's criticism of Pat Ruddy's work.  I've played TEC a dozen times and like it more each time I play it.  Rosses Point is very dear to his heart and I look forward to see what he will do there.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Frank Pont

Re: Ruddy plans to "revitalise" Rosses Point New
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2014, 03:21:55 PM »
I really do not understand people's criticism of Pat Ruddy's work.  I've played TEC a dozen times and like it more each time I play it.  Rosses Point is very dear to his heart and I look forward to see what he will do there.

I do not think it is criticism of his work on new courses. Some of them, like the European club, have done very well in the rankings and are a commercial success.

The worry rather is that his work is very very different in style and substance to the Colt style many of us so dearly love. Not better or worse, but just very different.

That's why I'm depressed after reading he plans to change and expand 8 original Colt greens.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2014, 06:37:12 PM by Frank Pont »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back